European Union

Tearoom

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I really wasn't bothered to start with, but the more I hear that we are insignificant and won't survive outside the EU the more I want to prove them wrong.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Interesting debate, sadly though as yet there has been no rational independent facts pro and con either way. Your average punter (me and millions more) doesn't have the first clue how it works if we're honest so would more than likely vote in blissful ignorance. That said, im voting out and I'll just have to take it on the chin either way.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Interesting debate, sadly though as yet there has been no rational independent facts pro and con either way. Your average punter (me and millions more) doesn't have the first clue how it works if we're honest so would more than likely vote in blissful ignorance. That said, im voting out and I'll just have to take it on the chin either way.
The trouble being even if they gave us the true facts we would not believe them as they have lied to us for generations.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
The trouble being even if they gave us the true facts we would not believe them as they have lied to us for generations.
Politics is all about power and staying in, that's just life I suppose.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I understand your situation,but can't understand how you can possibly think that being out will give you less hours and more pay,but go with your gut :)
@miller1098 read back, where does it say I expect less hours for more pay? It doesn't. What it says is that our industry in the UK is being driven down by cheaper European labour. Fact! If we vote out and win we get the chance (not a certainty) to get wages risen to where they should be not where they are now.
@hard top, it's nothing to do with my boss, my wages within the industry are fair, it's the entire industry that needs an uplift. While ever the gates are left open this is never going to happen. I drive a 2 year old lorry that I keep and it's perfectly good. I enjoy my work.
@Andy McDonnell , you speak more sense than anyone on this subject. None of us have a clue what 99% of this is going to give, lose or otherwise. We all have our own snippets that effect us, our business if we have one and our families and nothing more. In other words we are all selfish and we care what happens to us personally. And so we should.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
@miller1098 read back, where does it say I expect less hours for more pay? It doesn't. What it says is that our industry in the UK is being driven down by cheaper European labour. Fact! If we vote out and win we get the chance (not a certainty) to get wages risen to where they should be not where they are now.
@hard top, it's nothing to do with my boss, my wages within the industry are fair, it's the entire industry that needs an uplift. While ever the gates are left open this is never going to happen. I drive a 2 year old lorry that I keep and it's perfectly good. I enjoy my work.
@Andy McDonnell , you speak more sense than anyone on this subject. None of us have a clue what 99% of this is going to give, lose or otherwise. We all have our own snippets that effect us, our business if we have one and our families and nothing more. In other words we are all selfish and we care what happens to us personally. And so we should.
Nope I try not to be selfish I think of people in Romania, Turkey, Poland that want a better life,and are prepared to leave their homeland to make a living in another ,I almost went to Austrailia and nobody loves Wales more than me.and I'm sure they like and are proud of their home.I just think the break up of the EU is a bad thing for us all not only in this country.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Nope I try not to be selfish I think of people in Romania, Turkey, Poland that want a better life,and are prepared to leave their homeland to make a living in another ,I almost went to Austrailia and nobody loves Wales more than me.and I'm sure they like and are proud of their home.I just think the break up of the EU is a bad thing for us all not only in this country.
Yes i get it mate but enough is enough. My family fled Poland and settled here. But we are a small Island and our schools, doctors, hospitals etc etc etc just cannot cope anymore. If it continues everybody here will suffer, you, me and our families, friends and imagrants. We are full to bust. It has to stop.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Yes i get it mate but enough is enough. My family fled Poland and settled here. But we are a small Island and our schools, doctors, hospitals etc etc etc just cannot cope anymore. If it continues everybody here will suffer, you, me and our families, friends and imagrants. We are full to bust. It has to stop.
High proportions of immigrants in recent times refer to the UK as "free bank". This is for good reason as our "handouts" have been somewhat higher than other country's hence sangat (excuse smelling) in France. Our infrastructure in our Towns is finding it hard to cope. That said, some of it is our making by sticking our noses into the Middle East etc and destabilising it and causing mass migration. It's certainly not my making though and to be frank all I care about is the Boss and my little'uns (and my fellow Zedders of course). This B&B is full, period.

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift in Montreal Blue
the problem is it isn't just one big issue that affects us all. We all suffer individual issues like @Grumpy has mentioned. And that is the point, there are so many issues both large and small that we can not tackle because EU rules prevent us doing it.

whether it is tax dodging corporations filtering billions in profits out through luxemburg, or a single Romanian truck driver working here, taking the job of a local and forcing down drivers rates. We are just not allowed to fix it.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
You can debate all night ,imigrant worker=young healthy work pay tax .Uk population getting older need more tax we see pension age raise already how you going to pay more tax out of your wages? At least you have some worker protection under the eu .but I'm not going to change your mind but it's the biggest decision we will make in our lifetime don't do it on a whim or an unfounded belief

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
High proportions of immigrants in recent times refer to the UK as "free bank". This is for good reason as our "handouts" have been somewhat higher than other country's hence sangat (excuse smelling) in France. Our infrastructure in our Towns is finding it hard to cope. That said, some of it is our making by sticking our noses into the Middle East etc and destabilising it and causing mass migration. It's certainly not my making though and to be frank all I care about is the Boss and my little'uns (and my fellow Zedders of course). This B&B is full, period.
I agree Andy of course we have an element of blame. Our government are complete weaklings and have zero back bone. I fear for my son in the future I really do.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
the problem is it isn't just one big issue that affects us all. We all suffer individual issues like @Grumpy has mentioned. And that is the point, there are so many issues both large and small that we can not tackle because EU rules prevent us doing it.

whether it is tax dodging corporations filtering billions in profits out through luxemburg, or a single Romanian truck driver working here, taking the job of a local and forcing down drivers rates. We are just not allowed to fix it.
Some very valid points there in my opinion Smiffy, my best mate at home is one of many who say that we'll be better off trying to make it work better on the inside looking out, but this seems illogical to me as if it's a true democracy (one country, one vote) how can you change anything to your benefit while you have most if not all members voting against you. It is going to be a one time only chance, it won't come round again so for me it's an out vote . . . . . . . . . .

Tony.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I agree Andy of course we have an element of blame. Our government are complete weaklings and have zero back bone. I fear for my son in the future I really do.
The EU ECO-label criteria for permitted materials in toilet paper is 56 per cent longer than the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.

Just to inject some humour. It's true by the way.:wideyed:

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Interesting debate, sadly though as yet there has been no rational independent facts pro and con either way. Your average punter (me and millions more) doesn't have the first clue how it works if we're honest so would more than likely vote in blissful ignorance.
100% Agree with you Andy

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
it's the biggest decision we will make in our lifetime don't do it on a whim or an unfounded belief
Thats the trouble it is unfounded belief and thats whether we stay in or leave as know one either in the UK or Europe knows what will happen if we vote out but we do know that nothing will change if we stay in.
I will be voting out the same as the rest of our family,
Dont forget most issues have been caused by our own Governments not being strong enough to stand up to the EU and for being very short sighted. Why we ever agreed to allow migrant workers the ability to claim child support for their children that have never even been to the UK to me is just ridiculous.
The whole of the EU Treaty needs to be rewritten to take into account other countries benefits and only allow Migrants to be able to claim for the rate that is paid in their country of origin whether it is the UK or Bulgaria and see how many then come over here.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I'm glad this decision is not one I have to make and don't envy any one of you that has to make it!! JIM

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
the one thing we must prevent the EU from doing, or rather the discussion about it, is causing upset in this wonderful, friendly forum.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
the one thing we must prevent the EU from doing, or rather the discussion about it, is causing upset in this wonderful, friendly forum.
Yeah, agreed. Don't think there's much chance of that though as we appear to be dealing with grown adults. :)

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
The EU ECO-label criteria for permitted materials in toilet paper is 56 per cent longer than the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.

Just to inject some humour. It's true by the way.:wideyed:
does this mean the roll is 56% longer ?

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
it's the entire industry that needs an uplift.
Spot on matey boy, look at how you got treated when you were on the sick? Does not happen over here.
And who is supposed to "uplift the industry" the EU or your Government?