Dino D's Z3 2.8 Custom build. '98 Montreal Blue

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
That's pretty impressive Dino ! Some lovely touches. I only live about 1/2 mile from Tim beards workshop I know where I'll be going for any paintwork.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
WOW - what a great read Dino!! - great to read up on it's progress under you and you've definitely improved it and made it your own since you've had it!! - this is still the *ONLY* car I've ever regretted selling and as difficult a decision as it was at the time - I'm glad to see that it did indeed end up going to a good owner who would cherish it every bit as much (if not more!) than I did!!..

For what it's worth - the sellers thread is located here (thought it would be nice to join both ends/perspectives of the story up!):

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=987081&i=60

If anyone is a member on PH as well as here - you'll probably notice that they (in the majority) are not exactly fans of the Z3 (for whatever reason) - so not all of the posts are positive/constructive and I took the bait and reacted to some of the comments - (probably because I was a little over protective of the car at the time!!) - in saying that though, there was also some positive comments as well!

Here's hoping for many years and miles more enjoyable motoring for you Dino! :)
Get another before they become the next e30...

Came close a couple times to letting it go but the cars a keeper for sure now, already promised to my eldest son, need to get another 2 for the other kids now :). The missus even likes it (provided I don't try and show her how it corners or how good the supersprint sounds in a tunnel..)

Haven't been on PH for a long time. The place has changed a lot with too many nutters everywhere!
We very nice to each other one here which I value (well there is the odd nutter here and there ;) )

Cracked 123,456 miles not long ago:
IMG_3961.JPG

I think I need a 'never done' sticker somewhere discreet as that's what this is, all the more fun for it too (when don't need to use it daily anyway).

pangsterM135i

Impressive stuff Dino!!! - I've got this bookmarked to check back and stalk on regularly now to see what other changes happen to it!..

of course - the best part is that you just get to enjoy it at the moment with all the great weather we've been having.. (still miss the sound of the SuperSprint!! #sob... although, a little ironic that the time it sounded the best was when I was outside it and you were driving it away!!!! - the first time I had heard it from the outside and anyone else had driven it!! - good times! :) )

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Me and a couple of others feel our ears burning.....:D

You should enjoy it on here @pangsterM135i we (most) all get along and have a laugh along the way......:thumbsup:
I have no idea why you would think that....totally non-nutter behaviour to wear a hard-top all year around
And one on the Z3 too...;)

Last edited:

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Raid 340mm airbag steering wheel fitted

Been wanting to do this for years but a new 340mm Raid with airbag and hub adaptor has become a bit silly price wise.
So when @Brian H had his one going spare I decided to bite the bullet (despite the Dakar yellow accents on the wheel, these Dakar owners really like their yellow ;) )
Just remember..... if that yellow line stays between the 10 -2 then you need to find a better road!

Sir Percival

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Very handy, your old bonnet is a bit wonky unfortunately..but the sills, side wings, headlights, bumper, grilles live on albeit with a fresh coat of paint. Should have got those arch liners too as it now needs one!!
I've still got them!!

pangsterM135i

Get another before they become the next e30...

Came close a couple times to letting it go but the cars a keeper for sure now, already promised to my eldest son, need to get another 2 for the other kids now :). The missus even likes it (provided I don't try and show her how it corners or how good the supersprint sounds in a tunnel..)

Haven't been on PH for a long time. The place has changed a lot with too many nutters everywhere!
We very nice to each other one here which I value (well there is the odd nutter here and there ;) )

Cracked 123,456 miles not long ago:
View attachment 59413

I think I need a 'never done' sticker somewhere discreet as that's what this is, all the more fun for it too (when don't need to use it daily anyway).
WOW!!! - 123,456 and still going STRONG!!! - impressive! :) - I've got a long way to go to catch up - done less than 5k in 18 months.. (I know people who have bikes who have cycled more in the same period!!):

20170702_141242.jpg

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Put some spare mesh I had laying around in the front grill area. I know the car is filthy [not in the good way lol] but I am really happy with the result. It looks OEM and now I have protection from stones and debris hitting the fan and radiator :) I have no idea why BMW didn't do this from new.

mesh.JPG

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
They like to sell condensers and radiators? MX5's were the same, huge great hole to collect stones straight onto the rad.

Tony.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
FINALLY managed to find some time in front of a PC (and not be working) - usually only access Zorg on the phone so doing a proper thread update is not possible on that!

So on the 1 st page of the thread the whole story of the car up until toady (which could not be complete without a mention of all the Zorg community friends who have been involved!) is up.

Future plans... well seeing as the chassis is sorted maybe something little things to help it go a little better could find their way onto it over the coming years, no need to rush, it's only taken 6yrs to get this far...

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Well done Dino, you have made a superb one off Z3.....

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
Hi Dino good to see you have filled in the missing bits ! Looks great but looks better in the flesh with some great attention to detail and finishing touches.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I concur with previous comments, just read all the way through, very impressive indeed mate.:thumbsup:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Well done Dino, you have made a superb one off Z3.....
Thanks Brian. Wouldn’t have happened without my Zorg friends!

That reminds me I need to add the wiring loom ‘fry up’.
It really is ‘one off’ Car in many ways all the various bits under the skin!

So many tiny details to still finish up but there is time...

Jimmy Weston

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 induvidual
Great thread dino, I've loved reading it,and hopefully lots more to come.
Jimmy.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Seat tilt kit 20mm

So I’ve always run a seat tilt kit on the standard seats as well as the Sparcos.

On the Sparco’s I needed less tilt so used @Southernboy kit which gives about 10mm (I had about 20mm on the previous kit from Thayer motorsports in USA).

After a while in the Sparcos I think I’ve missed the extra tilt my previous 20mm gave so looked about and saw @Pingu had developed a new kit with 10,15,20,25mm tilt options.

I opted for 20mm. Kit arrived super quick and well packed:
B9EB3F26-F2CC-41EA-8902-BF22062E3A94.jpeg

Comparison in lift betwwen the 2:
135421A2-4B62-4C8A-82D3-50EC4D264122.jpeg

8BE183D3-17AC-468C-9242-373088FFF33F.jpeg

Fitted (in between sleet showers).
B42AFDC4-A8C2-40C9-90FC-4E18287F0E9D.jpeg

If you wonder why my seat base looks different it’s because it has ‘Planted Technology’ bases for the Sparcos.

The extra tilt feels good, need to get drive out to really test it but it feels like the amount of tilt I had previously.

Now one is really held in place with Sparcos.

The lower lift kit will go on the passenger side.

Much is written about these kits so here is a video @Pingu made explaining it that I liked:
View: https://youtu.be/KmaQZOKsUlc

@Brian H you need come for a drive when you down South next, think you’ll like it!

Last edited:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Got the Autobrite snowfoam and lance on a deal:
View: https://youtu.be/mbwmGY818yw

Wasn’t convinced first time I used it, sure it foams like hell but what’s the point?
E4619A5B-B11D-41B7-B43D-50DF198B374B.jpeg

2ABCFFBD-84A3-447B-9B54-066D50A0AA50.jpeg

60E97299-C999-4CF6-B17E-C17F7F479CB1.jpeg

Lots of fun though and I only used about 50ml!

Next day after washing it went for ahem...Sunday cruise...and this happened....

B067F0A0-22FD-47EB-93CE-596EA273BAE6.jpeg
395B3DE3-7FB6-487D-A4DC-1494C5A70459.jpeg
62B08201-C6D1-43AA-8051-03F32825CCD5.jpeg

Now I’m glad I got the little Nifisk and snow foam to melt away all that salt and mud.

Chassis clean attachment:
View: https://youtu.be/1Xsor0Qz_q8

All clean again:
AC88C8DF-2931-4461-990C-223D5720204F.jpeg