Cracks in rear window!

AquariusTony

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Z3 Roadster
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 2000 1.9 Z3 roadster and it needs a few aesthetic improvements doing to it. I noticed that there are one or two cracks in the rear plastic window. The largest one is about 1 and half inches long. (See photo)

5D6A36F5-C6E6-46A5-B9A2-573314D96367.jpeg

I’ve used some stuff on the window, as I know they need to be kept supple to prevent more cracks/splits. It also helped with the haziness.

I was wondering what advice you could all give me in terms of repairing it, or if anyone has a spare that I could buy?

Thank you very much in advance!
Tony.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Looks like an OEM hood in decent condition. I would have the window replaced.:thumbsup:

AquariusTony

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Z3 Roadster
Looks like an OEM hood in decent condition. I would have the window replaced.:thumbsup:
Yeah it is in pretty good condition, I also cleaned and protected it yesterday, so it looks even better now!

Thanks for your advice, I was going to eventually buy one anyway, I just thought in the mean time, I’d ask here! :D

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Looks original zip in window, bit of a faff putting a new one in but patience when doing it with a second person to assist. Threads on here and Youtube on how to do it.

AquariusTony

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Z3 Roadster
Looks original zip in window, bit of a faff putting a new one in but patience when doing it with a second person to assist. Threads on here and Youtube on how to do it.
Thanks, yeah it’s the original! It is a shame that it has the cracks! :(

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I would go for a BMW one; think they are likely around £150. Sopers should be worth a call.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
You can’t really tell without close inspection. It looks like the stitching has gone in the corners to me. That will compromise a window replacement without repair. It can also be a tricky procedure, especially if the hood side of the zip is frayed. Maybe a 50:50 success rate.

Also factor in if butyl seals are going/already gone and leaking.

A whole new high quality roof & window is £330 from Jack Smith in Swansea.

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
unless you are particularly wanting to keep it extremely original, (and that wont add any value, probably lessen it) I would get a complete new roof and window from Jack Smiths, which are £350 fitted.
Far better than just a new window, you also get a brand new roof to look at.

To me, not changing it is like having you wheels refurbished and fitting the old tyres with 2mm of tread back on

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
It looks like only a few stitches have gone and they can be repaired to OEM appearance with a little patience and a Speedy Stitcher - thread (pun intended etc) here: https://zroadster.org/threads/window-stitching-repair-with-photos.22231/

Jack Smith is clearly the economic case if the window goes, given the difference between his price for an entire hood and the price of a window on its own. But if OP lives far away it could add significantly to the overall cost.

Living in Newcastle, a visit to Jack Smith would entail £150 in fuel and an overnight stay, pushing total cost closer/beyond £500. As I’ve saved the stitching on my hood and it’s in otherwise great condition, I’ll be trying a genuine new BMW replacement screen first, when time inevitably comes for me to replace the current window

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
i never understood why that rubber / plastic trim around the window is so narrow... surely if it was a bit wider it would hide the fabric of the roof a bit better also if it was more plyable too in colder weather...

i sure i did see some rear windows with a wider trim avaiable to cover the frayed fabric..

has anyone ever tried to put a different seal on it as i pulled mine off last year in frustration.. as it was coming away from the window..

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
It looks like only a few stitches have gone and they can be repaired to OEM appearance with a little patience and a Speedy Stitcher - thread (pun intended etc) here: https://zroadster.org/threads/window-stitching-repair-with-photos.22231/

Jack Smith is clearly the economic case if the window goes, given the difference between his price for an entire hood and the price of a window on its own. But if OP lives far away it could add significantly to the overall cost.

Living in Newcastle, a visit to Jack Smith would entail £150 in fuel and an overnight stay, pushing total cost closer/beyond £500. As I’ve saved the stitching on my hood and it’s in otherwise great condition, I’ll be trying a genuine new BMW replacement screen first, when time inevitably comes for me to replace the current window
Other hood installers are available for a similar price, not many and I'm not familiar but they are out there.

But if logisitics and/or finances don't allow then the DIY window route generally gives a good outcome if you can get to grips with it and repair the stitching.

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
Other hood installers are available for a similar price, not many and I'm not familiar but they are out there.

But if logisitics and/or finances don't allow then the DIY window route generally gives a good outcome if you can get to grips with it and repair the stitching.
Jack Smith is a known quantity tho and comes highly recommended by fellow enthusiasts. If I needed to replace the hood, I’d prob bite the bullet and take a trip to Wales, as I’d know exactly what I’d be getting.

But if it was just my window that needed doing, I’ll happily take a punt on a BMW screen at £150 and give it a go myself:)

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I had a window replaced by a company in Coventry they unzip make a new window in your frame and zip it back in. It was a while back now but he may be still there.
They are link....
http://www.softtops.org.uk/
:thumbsup:

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I had a window replaced by a company in Coventry they unzip make a new window in your frame and zip it back in. It was a while back now but he may be still there.
They are link....
He did my brothers 4 years ago. Good job. But £150 for window and £70 for stitching repairs. That second charge left a bitter taste. So £220. Against £330 for a whole new roof & window.

AquariusTony

British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Z3 Roadster
I would go for a BMW one; think they are likely around £150. Sopers should be worth a call.
I have spoken to them and they are going to get me price on a new window and a new roof (with window). I thought it’d be interesting to see what they come back with! Thanks.

You can’t really tell without close inspection. It looks like the stitching has gone in the corners to me. That will compromise a window replacement without repair. It can also be a tricky procedure, especially if the hood side of the zip is frayed. Maybe a 50:50 success rate.

Also factor in if butyl seals are going/already gone and leaking.

A whole new high quality roof & window is £330 from Jack Smith in Swansea.
I will take a closer look at some point today after work and see what the deal is. I believe that maybe the stitching isn’t too bad, but I’ll double check. The car has been garaged for quite a few years by the previous keeper, so I need to check up on a few things!

unless you are particularly wanting to keep it extremely original, (and that wont add any value, probably lessen it) I would get a complete new roof and window from Jack Smiths, which are £350 fitted.
Far better than just a new window, you also get a brand new roof to look at.

To me, not changing it is like having you wheels refurbished and fitting the old tyres with 2mm of tread back on
Thank for your comment! That’s interesting, how come keeping it original would lessen the value? I thought people loved anything original on cars? If I were to get a new roof, I probably would go to Jack Smith (albeit a long way from me!), but if I can pick up a window for cheap and it’s not going to cause any issues on the roof, I’d replace just the window for now!

Thanks for making me aware of that post and the Speedy Sticther, I may have a go with one of them, despite there only being a few stitches out. I think I’m going to do the same to be honest I’m terms of repairing the stitching and get a new BMW window.

Yes, you’re right, I live in East Yorkshire so it is quite a trek to get to Swansea to Jack Smiths!

They are link....
Thanks for that link, I’ll check them out and see how much they’d do it for! I think I’d prefer having the zip out option again.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
The list price of a new rear screen is about £300. But you should get at least 10% off that so probably £250-£270.

I would ask the date of manufacturing too. It could have sat on the shelf for 20 years!

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
That’s interesting, how come keeping it original would lessen the value? I thought people loved anything original on cars?
For some parts yes, original. Generally interior trim items. But Z3s aren't really in the league of classic Ferraris in this respect.

A non-leaking roof where you can see out of the rear window is a priority here. Plus the attraction of knowing if it's new and you are buying the car it's not you who has to pay out even £330 for a new one.

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5

I got my rear window replaced by North East Trimmers in Byker Newcastle, cost £80. You have to get a window kit off ebay with various bits in including the zip I think it was £45 frm Germany.