Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
View attachment 252973
She would have killed me, cut me to small pieces, feed me to the dog and thinking of it again probably would have done all these while I was still alive.

To be honest ….. if Tricia was still here, she would have put my nuts in a vice =))

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Not a lot done today, but got the aerial refitted, and the roof pump put back.
Tidied up the boot a bit and put the rear lights back in. Found the rest of the screws for the rear wings so put them all in.

Got some bonnet catches that were pretty awful so gave them a clean up
EC5BE276-5D43-4A08-8441-A8F71B66DAC7.jpeg

Came up ok considering how rusty they looked. Might give them a silver paint job, but these are just surplus so no rush.
I will have to sit down and make a list of all the surplus parts ( mostly fixings) but might be useful if anyone is missing any odd bits.

I have 3 pairs of boot lid struts as well … stuff you amass is amazing =))

But I did play with my new bit of hardware…
07D8C4A3-0CFA-4AC1-89E5-A586A123710F.jpeg

I need to get a bit more advice before disconnecting anything…..
Might try and loosen off the 4 engine mount nuts tomorrow…… dont think it will go anywhere if I just do that:whistle:
I am thinking of putting the chain round the engine mount brackets…. Unless someone can tell me if thats a bad idea??

The far side is clear to do it , but the nearside has a couple of air tubes to remove first so the chain doesn't put any strain on anything.

Seen an engine support used at Zedshed HQ ….. and looks really easy ….. but ….. bloody scary when you do it on your own=))

I suppose getting this far I may as well remove the front beam and have it shot blasted and powder coated, rather than just swap out the engine mounts…. Its only the kids inhertance after all =))=))=))

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
First, let me start by saying that the ‘Regis’ part of Bognor Regis was granted in around 1929 by King George V as he visited Bognor.

From today , and after a visit by the King of Zorg ….. the Lean-to …. Will now be known as The Regis Lean-to . 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Lee dropped in for a flying visit while he was down here in the town.
Nice to get some comments and useful pointers with things on the car.

He was here just in time to offer advice on the top nut ( drivers side) on the engine mount…
If was being a real pig to undo….so after leaving , I got a heat torch on it…. And sure enough….. it started to undo …..right up to the point it sheared off😂😂😂😂😂
9795CED0-F0B7-4680-AB74-03D72B7BFEBF.jpeg

Doesn't matter as all scrap anyway. So glad it sheared off….
The other side….no problem at all

7BECEC22-D55A-49FD-9D9D-3B72E03924D3.jpeg

Advice on the engine support means I can set it up tomorrow and hopefully drop the front beam
Picked up a strap, 1tonne capacity from Toolstation , so it can go round the sump and the chains up the sides of the engine.
Also going to put a safety line on the front lifting eye.
F404D545-21B8-4E81-A581-326EFC2DAA3A.jpeg

No breakfast baguette tomorrow though:arghh:

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Well today was good and bad…..
Good…. Got the engine supported ok, got all the bolts and nuts undone ( relatively easy… a couple were just awkward to get to) and got the wishbones out the way without having to break the ball joint.
789E2331-E251-4C57-962E-7C20A42FCB85.jpeg

And ended up with this …
55895BAA-3919-4C8C-9D61-48D33A6DA2EF.jpeg

Bad….
Undid everything but didn’t see the hose bracket on the back…. :banghead:
89381A23-A2F0-4B9C-8865-269A7AF171EB.jpeg

But not too much of a problem and once disconnected the subframe was free.

but…… after removing the engine mounts, which were a bit worn, but not as much as I was expecting. I found fatigue cracks on the subframe underneath the mounts.
AC2D0B60-43E7-4A49-B1A8-587B1E5E357A.jpeg

If I were to tap that clean area it will just drop out:arghh:
The other end is not quite as bad but shows signs of it starting to crack.

the only word that came to mind ( after the obvious one=))) was ‘scrap’

So bit of a pain , but glad I have found it so it can be sorted.
Just need to find one and then refit it all.
Plus the job was not as scary or as difficult as I thought it would be:thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
A bit like Mints 2.2 when it was at the Doctors Malc. Should be relatively easy to source a used one?

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Well today was good and bad…..
Good…. Got the engine supported ok, got all the bolts and nuts undone ( relatively easy… a couple were just awkward to get to) and got the wishbones out the way without having to break the ball joint.
View attachment 253253
And ended up with this …
View attachment 253255

Bad….
Undid everything but didn’t see the hose bracket on the back…. :banghead:
View attachment 253257
But not too much of a problem and once disconnected the subframe was free.

but…… after removing the engine mounts, which were a bit worn, but not as much as I was expecting. I found fatigue cracks on the subframe underneath the mounts.
View attachment 253259
If I were to tap that clean area it will just drop out:arghh:
The other end is not quite as bad but shows signs of it starting to crack.

the only word that came to mind ( after the obvious one=))) was ‘scrap’

So bit of a pain , but glad I have found it so it can be sorted.
Just need to find one and then refit it all.
Plus the job was not as scary or as difficult as I thought it would be:thumbsup:
Yes as Tony says just like my 2.2. Although TBF mine was actually in two pieces.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
I was at Zedshed when yours was dismantled and remember seeing it.....and yes, it was a lot worse than mine :whistle:

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Hard luck for the points got some last year from Avon and Pitchfork Constabulary on the M4 in the Ssangyong Korando not either of the Z's

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
No rest on a Sunday at the ‘Regis Lee’s Been-to’ =))
As not a lot I can do at the front end ( a couple of possibilities on the sub frame so looking positive) moved to the back.
Spent some time sorting out the boot and bumper mountings . Found all the fixings which was a good start, and then proceeded to reinstall everything. ( this time in the right order:whistle:)
Started with a bit of weightlifting and fixed the bumper mounts and the two lumps of metal.
Then realised the towing eye would not screw in …. So removed it and put it in the vice and used the towing eye to clean it out.
524EB2C1-145E-4D51-8C8F-45BDDA8AEEA5.jpeg

once it was cleaned out and greased it was easy to turn by hand…. And repacked with copper grease and found a cap
E2BD641E-9EE5-48C2-A313-F60B69A61ADE.jpeg

its the top off a panel pin tube… and perfect fit:thumbsup:
Should keep the crap out

So back on the car, followed by the toolbox, Plastic rear cover, carpet panels, battery, rear light covers

Last thing in the fittings box ( takeaway carton =)) ) was an orange piece of plastic… a fuse extractor!!!!
So returned to its home , and as there was a spare space next to it, put a 15amp fuse from the heated seat kit in there.

58F8A177-BAFC-4CBA-8A1A-D01E921376B4.jpeg

The rear wings from Andy had the hinges still attached so removed the ones still on the boot lid….. Guess which strut is crap !!!!
B44E6557-2C96-49D7-823A-8B5CB1AA42FC.jpeg

So the boot is all tidy and just the new boot lid struts to fit
E89B9C17-3911-4722-BE11-5D43BEB2202D.jpeg

And refitted the boot lid
8D5ECC38-8DF9-45D0-8DC8-2D91937D2153.jpeg

I used the cats’ bed to rest it on so it didnt get scratched…… although I may be later when she finds it missing=))

@t-tony. The last thing that I will fit will be a ‘roadster’ logo for the boot light… at that point it will mean the car is finished:thumbsup:
( so can I reserve one please😻)

I would have put the spare wheel back on, but the cage is still wrapped up after Lee got it powder coated for me, and its actually up the loft , and I just couldn’t be arsed to go and get it. =))=))

starting to get its shape back now which is nice.:):):)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Definitely Malc. One has your name on it mate.

Tony.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
And just got a front subframe :thumbsup: :)
(Off a 2006 316i.)
Its the E36 standard part as used on all Z3’s and series 3 cars
Part number 31111096485

And one more bit of scrap for the metal goblins =)) =)) =))
12CFFD65-24A9-4BA4-B2DD-13555A937614.jpeg

Wish I hadn’t bothered to paint it now :banghead:

Last edited:

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
All good intentions today but came unstuck :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

Started by getting the spare wheel carrier down from the loft.
First issue was that I had left the long bolt in it ( wondered where it had gone :whistle:) but it went through the powdercoat procedure and was stuck to the cage…. And the nylon bush had melted , I assume when it went in the oven=))=))
So first job was to clean the melted nylon off and touch up the bare metal.
09014C56-B460-4BAE-89E2-0D33306BB306.jpeg

2FFBBB18-0AD9-45EA-B094-F9C6E400A809.jpeg

As it turned out I found another bolt with all the bushes on it.
A12E74DF-121A-4FCB-B456-BF5A07F62C0A.jpeg

so problem sorted .. and on to fitting the cage.
Cleaned the tray
E3D429FB-DEE6-4FCF-BF2A-3B1CF0C88A60.jpeg

And while that was drying , remembered to refit the petrol cap locking cable. Bit of an issue as part of the plastic had broken off, but a couple of cable ties resolved it.
894234CF-463C-4D85-AD99-72BECA430EFB.jpeg

Fitted the cage , dropped the spare wheel in and connected up the air tube. Then pumped it up to 60psi.
left it for 5 mins and still at 60psi so started to fit into the cage and secure it……

thats when things started to go wrong:banghead:

Pulled up the cage and it locked then tightened it up …. But the tyre and tray were loose…. The fit was like a pea in a bucket??:whistle:=))

So checked the 1.9 to see if I had everything correctly assembled …. Which I had…. So couldn’t work out what was the problem!!!

next thing was the sound of rushing air…. Turned out to be the valve ….had split!!!
Still didnt account for all the sloppiness though.

Finally found the problem !!!!!!!
0E1C8879-0F86-4C50-A860-B5C0DBE08BD1.jpeg

Compare the tyre size to the rim size:oops:
Tyre is the 115/90 R16. The rim is 17”
How the f*** did they fit it??!

Anyway Rim is ok but no use to me…. The tyre looks brand new …. But scrap….as must be overstretched. I tried to get a couple of tyre places to remove the tyre … but one wanted £20 and the other £15 !!! Stuff that, I’ll cut if off=))=))=))
Searched and Found a correct one on ebay so ordered it straight away.

so now have to wait for bits to arrive:arghh: … but tomorrow I will sort out adapting the wiring in the car to accept the new heated seat connectors.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Nothing done today but did get a parcel . Not bad service only ordered it Sunday!!!

A bit discoloured with some surface rust in parts but all solid and wont take long to clean.
BUT…. This is off a 2006 316i…. same part but with a couple of differences….
I assume the 316i doesnt have a cross brace as there are no threaded holes !!! Just 4 holes :oops:
Fortunately the hole is the right size to take an insert :thumbsup:
DB91D1A2-EE73-4234-BD7A-88D15D91094D.jpeg

Luckily I have loads so will fit once the subframe has been cleaned and painted.

On the other side it is also missing a threaded hole …. For the power steering hose bracket
1FAA277B-8A23-459F-BECC-5524520C579F.jpeg

But there is not even a hole ? Plus the one on the scrap unit is actually an insert not a hole with a nut welded on the inside.
No real issue just have to drill a hole and use an insert ( could get away with just an M4 insert)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Just to test your skills Malc.

Tony.