ABS/ASC

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
ok, here is my thinking now - buy a working second hand one for £30 off ebay or another kind .org member, making sure the part numbers match (3451164896;);)) then fit and recode with dis.:) The coding is stored on the dme and just needs copying to the new/secondhand unit.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
That should work fine i couldn't get the software to load properly to try the abs light is out witout coding and hasn't relit (except on start up and button pressing)
If you mange this would be interested in the how to.
Another member has had this done to their car with the software so it is perfectly viable

Last edited:

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
if I copy the coding from the original module then overwrite this data to the new module ummmm.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Isn't cs progman part of the software from bc i was told it was done using this ?

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
yes it is, there is quite a lot of software that comes with the bc, I sure the bm technics came with it too.
after looking through the NCS program it would appear to be quite quickly done. but now im wondering if it would actually need doing at all, I have noticed there are literally 10s if not 100s of the same pump and modules which are identical but part numbers differ, if the part number was the same im wondering if the coding would also be the same hence why there are so many different part numbers for the same item, each part number may simply be different coding.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
did your replacement have the same part number? did it need coding?

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Yes same part number and not coded it runs fine when you test it in inpa and press the pedal you can feel it working fine.
The only code it gives is related to the brake light switch which was not present with the original pump.
When the brakes are pressed the light in the test on inpa does not light.
The other member (forget who) had said it all looks ok but the acs does not cut in i think as the switch appears not to operate maybe this is why and the need to code although it appears to function fine.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
yes I have seen this in posts on bimmerforum, the part that needs coding is the asc not the abs. but with no asc does not the asc orange lamp show?

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Nope all works as it should lights at ignition and goes out and if i press the asc button the lights light and extinguish.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
ok, then this has to be my cause of action, thanks Antm72, if I have to code I will post a how to.

MartinN

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0Ltr Roadster
Hi, looking at this with interest, I believe I should be able to turn off ABS and ASC with different presses of the switch, I got this info from Brian, press & hold the switch for 3 seconds to get both ABS and ASC lights on. I don't get this though, just the orange ASC light. The lights all behave correctly on turn on & extinguish after starting the engine.
Are these symptoms linked to what you guys are discussing? Could it be I need a bit of coding if a previous owner swapped the module?
Is there anyway to tell?
Mines a 2000 model 2.0Ltr

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
I would think the only way to tell would be with a code reader like inpa. never heard of the pressing and holding button though, we need someone with a functioning abs/asc to go and test there's.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
I'm surprised to hear you can switch off ABS.:eek:

MartinN

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0Ltr Roadster
This is what Brian H sent me and is what lights you should see if the switch is held down for a few seconds.
Hope that it clarifies what I hope I understand is what I should expect but don't get.

DSC Lights as discussed in another thread, as long as you have DSC you should be able to do this, have you ever noticed your rear brakes cooking?

Stage 1

Stage 2

Cheers

Brian

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
ah I see, the second light is not the abs light, that is used for low brake fluid and break pad wear sensors. thanks for sharing this though:)

so you don't get the exclamation mark kind of light?
I tried in mine but mine doesn't either, but then my module is knackered.

brake pad wear sensors is something that could be toggled on or off via coding (assuming they are fitted to start with).

there is a load more functions you can go through by switching your ignition on with your trip counter pressed.

Last edited:

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
right quick update, i brought a unit off ebay for £34, it had the same part number and came off a 1.9 z3, plugged it in - lights still on, so i desided to drive around to the shop to buy wine and drowned my sorrows, then after driving about 200 yards the lights went out:). i carried on to the shop for wine but now its to celebrate:party: and no coding needed.