Z3 '98 Passenger side window won't roll back up

PZ30

Model of Z
Z3 1.8l (M43B18)
Here's the Problem:

Today I rolled the passenger side window down (luckily not all the way). When I tried to roll it back up it moved upwards for like an inch or so and then slowly moved back DOWN again with the motor not being able to lift the glass up under it's own power.

I grabbed the window and gently pulled it back up while holding down the switch. When I later tried this with the engine running I had the same problem. Both times it did not make any cracking sounds.

Even before this happened the passenger side window was slow to operate, probably through lack of use - the driver side window works perfectly fine.

Does the window regulator just need some grease or is the electric motor just about to fail?

Thanks in advance

Axelf

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
I would check the glass is going down the window rubber correctly not in between the channel and the rubber, then grease the channel on the mechanism and also on the glass channels... while there check the 2 white slider blocks for any wear, one of mine was badly worn

Tony

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Before doing anything else get a can of Silicone Spray and spray the rubber guides as you work the window up and down. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Tony.

Mario

Zorg Legend
I agree with Tony - hose the bugger all the way with silicone spray on the guide where the glass slides on the front and then at the back with the window all the way down stick the little spray tube in that door and hose it down as well - don't worry the silicone spray won't hurt anything and if you are generous some drops will reach the mechanisms and lubricate them a bit. Glass can be cleaned after no problem no matter how messy it gets. Done this a few times and it works wonders