Z3 1.9 brake caliper brand suggestions?

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
Hi,

Yesterday my front right caliper got stuck while driving. Overheated and it looks like i am going to need a replacement.
My brakes didnt respond perfectly since i got the car anyways so i thought lets change both front calipers.

I dont have a garage, i fix my car in front of my house which is fine, but i cant leave it for 3-5 days without wheels on stands so that i can rebuild my calipers.
+leaving the brake line exposed i will need to flush and bleed the system and its a whole thing i would rather avoid for now.

My only safe option is get new ones and do a quick replacement or spend 300£ for someone to do this for me.

Eurocarparts has some Ragid calipers but are 200£ for both, seems too expensive even with discounts.

Ebay has some 50£ ones (Energized customs) brand. Seems too cheap.

Onlinecarparts has some Ridex etc. Bosch and Brembo are out of stock, or they come reconditioned, instead of new. I would prefer new.

Can you recomend a reasonably priced good quality brand i can actually buy? 99% of those brands i have never heard of.

Thanks

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I would be quite happy to pay circa £60 for a pair of front callipers, I have fitted lots of these less expensive ones over the years with no issues.
When you do this make a tool to hold the brake pedal down which will stop the master cylinder emptying when you disconnect the hose. A piece of brush shaft and a piece of MDF or similar with a hole for the shaft to pass through., like this.
033C8D6B-BD44-4B14-A5DF-2E586F531FB8.jpeg
4C67BE66-3ED4-4D5E-B734-BD39FA15BD9D.jpeg

Most of the callipers for sale on eBay will likely have been made in the same factories and just packaged and priced differently. They will work fine.

Tony.

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
I will get the 45£ set then and see how they fit. Worst case I take my old ones and rebuild them and put them back. Rebuild kit is 20-30£.

Thanks for the help!

I will post an update how this went.

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
I replaced the problematic one!

It looks fine but I get an air sound from my brake pedal. So according to Google something is leaking. I didn't lose much fluid and I let some drain through the valve on the new caliper.

The brakes seem to be holding the car fine when I take off the handbrake.

Any tips?

Thanks!!!

PXL_20210522_151149545.jpg

PXL_20210522_151144183.jpg

Daspete

Zorg Addict
If you have the time and want to keep originality but not spend a mortgage on a new ATE caliper, they are cheap and easy to rebuild. Literally a few minutes if you don't want to paint them.

£23 for new seals and a new piston for a front caliper. Providing the bore isn't pitted.

I had mine soda blasted and powder coated which was about £40 for all 4.

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
If you have the time and want to keep originality but not spend a mortgage on a new ATE caliper, they are cheap and easy to rebuild. Literally a few minutes if you don't want to paint them.

£23 for new seals and a new piston for a front caliper. Providing the bore isn't pitted.

I had mine soda blasted and powder coated which was about £40 for all 4.
I may do this with my old ones and sell them now that I have replaced them.

Thanks!

Daspete

Zorg Addict
I may do this with my old ones and sell them now that I have replaced them.

Thanks!
Had mine powder coated to match the M blue calipers on my 3 series. Looks amazing, well worth it.
You don't even need any special tools to rebuild them either.

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
It looks fine but I get an air sound from my brake pedal. So according to Google something is leaking.
is that just the servo air, if so that is normal?
Switch the engine off, press the pedal a few times and the sound will disappear as you use up the reserve of air. the pedal will also get harder near the top.

Keep you foot on the brake pedal, restart the engine, the pedal will go down a bit as the servo refills with air, switch off and see if it does the same again.
if so all is normal and good with the servo.

PS like the green axle stand, is it a 1 tonne or 3 tonne rating?....:whistle:
1621861939181.png

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
is that just the servo air, if so that is normal?
Switch the engine off, press the pedal a few times and the sound will disappear as you use up the reserve of air. the pedal will also get harder near the top.

Keep you foot on the brake pedal, restart the engine, the pedal will go down a bit as the servo refills with air, switch off and see if it does the same again.
if so all is normal and good with the servo.

PS like the green axle stand, but wouldn't trust it much....:whistle:
View attachment 184115
It is a caliper stand 😂

I have tried doing that. When I switch off I press the brake pedal and it gets hard without air noises. But when I start the engine I get air noises again. I may try holding the brake when starting the engine. At least they work fine. Went for a drive and it stops ok.