What would you buy?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Wouldn't turn my nose up at a VW Passat Diesel estate either mate. Parkers rate them highly. As a rule of thumb most car mags have it thus as a make;
1. MB
2. BMW
3. Audi

If it was my money I'd go for the Audi A6 over the BMW or MB equivalent just because I prefer the look and the reality is there's probably not much in it for every day use.

One step further, I'd go for the Q7 or the X5 just because they are big imposing cars with a nice high up driving position.

Other views are available.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
From me it would be skoda superb estate extremely spacious, punchy economic diesels ,well equipped, 2 or 4 wheel drive.
Actually probably my next car =))
Highly rated cars mate.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Where can I get these interest free loans and credit cards? Certainly not in Canada!! I'd personally go for a Mercedes any year or model. JIM

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
I would take that £10k and find the nicest BMW E39 5 series touring I could find and then with the change replace all the worn components and then keep it for the rest of time because I think it's one of the best all round cars BMW ever made.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Your welcome Dave.
Sorry I thought you said you were going to get a loan. Happy hunting for your motor of choice.
I'd rather not mate, depends what happens I suppose. But if I had to I'd want the best advice and info mate so always happy to listen..

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
This is fine @Grumpy but when the interest is so low or even free people are crazy to then pay with their own money when they can use someone else's IMO.
It's just monthly payments mate, can't stand them.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Wouldn't turn my nose up at a VW Passat Diesel estate either mate. Parkers rate them highly. As a rule of thumb most car mags have it thus as a make;
1. MB
2. BMW
3. Audi

If it was my money I'd go for the Audi A6 over the BMW or MB equivalent just because I prefer the look and the reality is there's probably not much in it for every day use.

One step further, I'd go for the Q7 or the X5 just because they are big imposing cars with a nice high up driving position.

Other views are available.
Can always rely on you Mr M! I would love a Tourag but not as my daily car...........but thinking about it.......erm.......

MidlifeZ

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 se
I know mate but you still make the monthly payment back into your savings account.... actually that's quite a good way of looking at it lol.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Can always rely on you Mr M! I would love a Tourag but not as my daily car...........but thinking about it.......erm.......
Nice choice mate, you're only here once ;)
There's always the Jag estate 3.0 D 4x4.

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Dave, buy a Dacia Logan MCV and you don't need a loan; probably is less than 5k! It' s not German , but who cares, German , French, these days all components are made in China! (I think this line comes from "Armageddon" movie, but it works here too).
At the end is just transportation , as they say in US. For fun you have the Zed!

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Dave, buy a Dacia Logan MCV and you don't need a loan; probably is less than 5k! It' s not German , but who cares, German , French, these days all components are made in China! (I think this line comes from "Armageddon" movie, but it works here too).
At the end is just transportation , as they say in US. For fun you have the Zed!
Dan you speak a lot of sense as always my friend. As nice a bloke as you are I don't think I could buy a Dacia anything! Is that the company that makes car called a duster lol!!

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Would have to be a BMW for me, take age very well and drive superb.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Sainsbury's are currently doing a 0% 28mnth
That's only on transfers. You'll need the headroom on another card and then hope they'll accept your application. If your good at playing those games good on ya!
Also, I suspect lots of traders may not take a credit card if you've negotiated a good deal on price as they end up paying a tidy percentage to to the card company.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Earlier this year I was thinking of buying an E class Merc. They are fabulous, BUT I spent a lot of time finding out about them from owners and garages specializing in Mercs. Conclusion,you may be lucky and have up to 250,000 fairly trouble free miles,but generally they are known for persistent electrical faults costing a fortune.
Audi A 6 fair,but transmission and other issues including cambelt every 40 odd thousand.
The one to have is a BMW 5 series , absolutely no question.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
My company car is a VW Passat Diesel Est on 131k and still going strong

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I've seen a few auto box failures on BMW's at the 100k or so mark.

And a few large bills for new DPF's also, on cars approaching ten years old.

In fact, I've seen too many large repair bills on BMW's I'd steer clear, especially any diesel car with an engine management light on.

So a 535d would be off my list with a 10k budget. A shame because they drive insanely well.

I'd be looking at the Skoda Octavias, Golf estates, Passat estates.

I'd also be looking at petrols if I wasn't doing many miles per year.

Mercs are lovely, but I have very little sales experience with them so can't advise.

Tim

Ps, as for funding it, the likes of Tescos and Santander have sill low rates for personal loans, we've never been so lucky to be able to borrow money so cheaply.