What would you buy?

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Ps, as for funding it, the likes of Tescos and Santander have sill low rates for personal loans, we've never been so lucky to be able to borrow money so cheaply.
3.3% from Tesco and 3.1% from Sainsbury's - insanely low rates. Almost a whole point lower than just a year ago.

MidlifeZ

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 se
That's only on transfers. You'll need the headroom on another card and then hope they'll accept your application. If your good at playing those games good on ya!
Also, I suspect lots of traders may not take a credit card if you've negotiated a good deal on price as they end up paying a tidy percentage to to the card company.
It's on purchases the next one down from what you read, I wouldn't do it this way but if you are savvy and a tart then it can be done, I would probably take a loan at 3.3%, their is good and bad credit you just need to know how to use it.

MidlifeZ

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 se
I've seen a few auto box failures on BMW's at the 100k or so mark.

And a few large bills for new DPF's also, on cars approaching ten years old.

In fact, I've seen too many large repair bills on BMW's I'd steer clear, especially any diesel car with an engine management light on.

So a 535d would be off my list with a 10k budget. A shame because they drive insanely well.

I'd be looking at the Skoda Octavias, Golf estates, Passat estates.

I'd also be looking at petrols if I wasn't doing many miles per year.

Mercs are lovely, but I have very little sales experience with them so can't advise.

Tim

Ps, as for funding it, the likes of Tescos and Santander have sill low rates for personal loans, we've never been so lucky to be able to borrow money so cheaply.
I was only saying last week that I would buy a high miler one owner with fsh over a 70k six owner with no history, when I bought my latest 10 year old 325d it was suspected to have a failed DPF however it turned out it was the thermostats that wouldn't let the DPF regenerate, had them replaced and the DPF cleared. A lot of people are having them deleted which is not curing the problem.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Earlier this year I was thinking of buying an E class Merc. They are fabulous, BUT I spent a lot of time finding out about them from owners and garages specializing in Mercs. Conclusion,you may be lucky and have up to 250,000 fairly trouble free miles,but generally they are known for persistent electrical faults costing a fortune.
Audi A 6 fair,but transmission and other issues including cambelt every 40 odd thousand.
The one to have is a BMW 5 series , absolutely no question.
Well reading your write up ken I'll be buying a Lada Niva Cosack! :hohoho:

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
My company car is a VW Passat Diesel Est on 131k and still going strong
We had a 6 month old Passat in 2002. Was a lovely car but drastically under powered being 100bhp. Not really thought about them to be honest mate but I'd certainly have a look if I ever take the plunge.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Passat in 2002.
You can't possibly compare mate, in 14 years the difference is Galactic. A 3 cyl. diesel has more than that these days. I wouldn't buy a VW as such, I would take Steve's advice and go the Skoda route. We test/taxi test new and very nearly new cars for a couple of firms from up north who sell to the private hire trade in Lincoln. Those Superbs are just simply that.:thumbsup:

Tony.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
You can't possibly compare mate, in 14 years the difference is Galactic. A 3 cyl. diesel has more than that these days. I wouldn't buy a VW as such, I would take Steve's advice and go the Skoda route. We test/taxi test new and very nearly new cars for a couple of firms from up north who sell to the private hire trade in Lincoln. Those Superbs are just simply that.:thumbsup:

Tony.
There was me thinking the Skoda was based on the passat and owned by VW

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
There was me thinking the Skoda was based on the passat and owned by VW
They are but the superb is a larger platform and model for model better equipped so more toys to play with and with the superb being skoda's flagship model has good trim quality

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Superb Estate. Its an Audi with a sensible price tag if your not badge conscious its the only option I had 2 Skoda Otavia L&Ks DSGs fantastic cars,

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Another point to ponder is the s*** storm which blew up in the states 2 years ago re. the diesel exhaust emissions. We are still waiting on the "fix" promised to us for Shirl's Eos. Everybody associates that with VW and not the other brands such as Seat and Skoda. The VW brand is tainted as because of that will be for a long while.

Tony.

The Skoda Octavia is built on the Golf platform as is the Touran and many more models while the Superb is built on the bigger A6 platform, a much nicer car. The power output of these cars is a lot higher these days and that was the point I was making re Dave's comment about a 2002 Passat being underpowered.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Interesting add ons since I went peepees. The skoda keeps fighting it's corner and finding out its built on the A6 platform appeals to me as that was my initial thoughts.
I'm no badge snob just know I like German stock or obvious reasons. Going to have a flick about and see how they compare price wise and what a 10k budget would buy me.

Reactions: Tfp

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Wow! I must say I'm seriously impressed. They look really nice in and out and you can see the A6 presence crossed with VW buttons etc. Much better value for money too in comparison to the others. If I decide to do something when the rover is no more (which I dont imagine will be that long lol) I will definitely go have a look a one of these. Found this as a nice example on a 2012 for £8800.
Screenshot_2016-11-06-07-19-49.png

Screenshot_2016-11-06-07-20-02.png

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
This property in France with all these buildings and 12 acres for £150,000,it's still on the market I know the guy that owns it and maybe you could do a deal.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Wow! I must say I'm seriously impressed. They look really nice in and out and you can see the A6 presence crossed with VW buttons etc. Much better value for money too in comparison to the others. If I decide to do something when the rover is no more (which I dont imagine will be that long lol) I will definitely go have a look a one of these. Found this as a nice example on a 2012 for £8800.
View attachment 44975
View attachment 44976
An elegance good choice of model dave fully specced but even the mid spec se comes with decent spec diesel either 140 or 170 brake my 2003 130 bhp superb tuned to 176 bhp goes really well still gives 55 mpg easily newer engines can be reworked to about 230 with dpf removed but thats a lot of work still get 215 with dpf in place.
I can only say wish my zed had the power and economy of my skoda.
Off the mark the zed would be left standing although on paper both standard cars 0.2 secs difference to 60 my skoda would now destroy the zed :(

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure the emissions scandal has had any affect here on used car sales, just sold our 2.5 year old Tiguan back to the dealer for a decent price.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Off the mark the zed would be left standing although on paper both standard cars 0.2 secs difference to 60 my skoda would now destroy the zed :(
The thing is, you can't do that in the Skoda with shades on and the roof down :D

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I'm not sure the emissions scandal has had any affect here on used car sales, just sold our 2.5 year old Tiguan back to the dealer for a decent price.
Fair comment, but if the dealers wouldn't give you a good price that would be a worry. Also you say the 2.5, which wasn't the main effected engine, it was the 2.0 fitted in our Eos.
Whatever the case we're still waiting for VW to honour their pledge to modify/repair our car . . . . . . . .

Tony.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
The thing is, you can't do that in the Skoda with shades on and the roof down :D
Can't argue with that .
But im still really interested in buying a z3 and doing a diesel engine conversion .