What would you buy?

Russell O

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Sport
I would not buy another diesel because of future problems DPF and all the other filter systems they run now for emissions.
Diesels are still dirty without them and they clog up and need replacement. Big money on a big german diesel.
Although I am looking to buy a BMW 650V12 or 645V8 Coupe.
I reckon this will cost about the same in the long run as a Big diesel to run..but with refinement.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I would not buy another diesel because of future problems DPF and all the other filter systems they run now for emissions.
Diesels are still dirty without them and they clog up and need replacement. Big money on a big german diesel.
Although I am looking to buy a BMW 650V12 or 645V8 Coupe.
I reckon this will cost about the same in the long run as a Big diesel to run..but with refinement.
That's the view I'm taking too Russ. All this talk about deleting EGR's and taking the guts out of the DPF's etc. is just taking it too far and the DVSA (VOSA as was) are looking into a pressure test of a diesels exhaust to see if the exhaust system has been altered. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that diesel has had it's day now and the future will be electric cars eventually. Diesel cars for economy was a good idea but as soon as the VAG decide to use them in touring car racing it went in the wrong direction because performance and economy aren't good bed fellows.

tony.

Russell O

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Sport
That's the view I'm taking too Russ. All this talk about deleting EGR's and taking the guts out of the DPF's etc. is just taking it too far and the DVSA (VOSA as was) are looking into a pressure test of a diesels exhaust to see if the exhaust system has been altered. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that diesel has had it's day now and the future will be electric cars eventually. Diesel cars for economy was a good idea but as soon as the VAG decide to use them in touring car racing it went in the wrong direction because performance and economy aren't good bed fellows.

tony.
There's not much further they can take the diesel engine imo. @Brian4 has a 335D which is a superb car and probably the best diesel estate out their,(if your a German fan) but blimey they can have their problem which petrols simply do not.
Agreed Tony, the future sadly is electric or Hybrid which is devastating but we can't keep on emptying the earth.
Big petrol for now. Less stress on engine, Power when you want it and I've never been interested on MPG. Even at 97p a litre and 22 to the gallon.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Unfortunately the modern petrol turbo engines have a lot of similarities with the diesels in terms of high pressure fuel systems.
The BMW 35i from what I've read can get very expensive very fast when those things go wrong.

Russell O

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Sport
Unfortunately the modern petrol turbo engines have a lot of similarities with the diesels in terms of high pressure fuel systems.
The BMW 35i from what I've read can get very expensive very fast when those things go wrong.
Decent warranties from BMW and get rid back to BMW after a year or two.
Petrol still miles better than diesel for me.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That they do Dino, but it's the exhaust side of the diesel engines which are the most troublesome, and all because of the dirty fuel they burn.

Tony.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Diesel has never really caught on over here except in the bigger brand makers pickup trucks. But there are American co's making headway on the pollution side of the engine but most comes down to, as Tony stated that it's dirty fuel from our oilsands projects causing a lot of the problem. I for one am glad the major gas co's are abandoning many of their fracking sites as it's costing more to produce fuel than the market will bear!! JIM