What would you buy?

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Can't argue with that .
But im still really interested in buying a z3 and doing a diesel engine conversion .
That would be interesting but I guess you would have to change all the gear and final drive ratios. Not an easy job unless someone has done it before . Would all the fuelling would need to be changed too? Turbo diesel? Lots of pipework and intercooler. Hope you have plenty of time. :whistle:

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Fair comment, but if the dealers wouldn't give you a good price that would be a worry. Also you say the 2.5, which wasn't the main effected engine, it was the 2.0 fitted in our Eos.
Whatever the case we're still waiting for VW to honour their pledge to modify/repair our car . . . . . . . .

Tony.
ooops, I should have written that better. I meant to say two and a half years old.

Ours was the 2.0Tdi affected engine.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
ooops, I should have written that better. I meant to say two and a half years old.

Ours was the 2.0Tdi affected engine.
Did you have the "fault" rectified on your car?

Tony.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Well, you mentioned an A6 Dave, so I thought if you were looking at big German estates, it has to be BM 5 series.Just look at reviews for S/H E class, A6 and 5 series. Now if you can still find a Lada Niva then that's a different story, a classic in the making!

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
This property in France with all these buildings and 12 acres for £150,000,it's still on the market I know the guy that owns it and maybe you could do a deal.
God I wish we could Hugh but we're not in a position to do anything until the mortgage is completed. Thanks for your thoughts tho mate. :)

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Well, you mentioned an A6 Dave, so I thought if you were looking at big German estates, it has to be BM 5 series.Just look at reviews for S/H E class, A6 and 5 series. Now if you can still find a Lada Niva then that's a different story, a classic in the making!
Have a read of the 1.6 and 2.0 diesel auto skoda superb estate mate and see how they fair up. Looking at the bhp figures I could buy the 1.6 and have it chipped. It would be very close to the 2.0 but £30 a year road tax and 65mpg. Win win me thinks!

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Did you have the "fault" rectified on your car?

Tony.
No, had various letters from them saying they were still working on a solution.

Glad it's gone now really, I was worried that it would be different after the modification, I've read about people reporting loss of power and more noise.

My future cars will now all be petrol, and probably not VW's

And to add, over 30 months of ownership the computer said 38mpg average. Not really that great.

Mostly down to 4motion as I get 45 mpg out of VW transporter vans.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I was only saying to someone the other day that I seriously don't think I/we will have another diesel. We don't do the miles to warrant that any more and I'm beginning the dislike the noise that they make too. Also taking into account the price of some not uncommon repairs to diesel cars that we do at work it really is putting me off owning them now.

Tony.

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Also taking into account the price of some not uncommon repairs to diesel cars that we do at work it really is putting me off owning them now.

Tony.
This is what I keep telling my friends when they ask me, falls on deaf ears though.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
This is what I keep telling my friends when they ask me, falls on deaf ears though.
I think people are blinkered by the alleged MPG figures to be honest. We have footed the bill this last year for our daughters car for a new clutch and DMF and a hugely expensive turbo/intercooler pipe for their Insignia to the tune of nearly £700 ( at trade prices - parts and labour - through work) and that's would have bought a hell of a lot of petrol.

Tony.

jimcwestie

Dedicated Member
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89
I have a 2011 Mercedes c180 estate which has been an excellent daily car. Quiet, smooth, reliable and fairly good fuel consumption. Delighted with it and it pulls the caravan well.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I think people are blinkered by the alleged MPG figures to be honest. We have footed the bill this last year for our daughters car for a new clutch and DMF and a hugely expensive turbo/intercooler pipe for their Insignia to the tune of nearly £700 ( at trade prices - parts and labour - through work) and that's would have bought a hell of a lot of petrol.

Tony.
People are just tuned to diesel cars, it's the way the market has made us think. It was me Tony was talking to about owning diesel cars. I have a thread running at the moment about a possible future purchase of a German diesel estate car, I have been looking tonight at petrol engined equivalents and have to say I may well go that way, and as they don't demand the same price tag I'll probably get a newer car to boot.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
So if you're not looking at a 'prestige' mark (big Merc, BM, Audi) then for reliability it has to be Japanese. Toyota Avensis.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
So if you're not looking at a 'prestige' mark (big Merc, BM, Audi) then for reliability it has to be Japanese. Toyota Avensis.
I don't like Jap stuff ken. Skoda are German of sorts and kick out some cracking cars now days.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Very true Dave, I'm a fan of the whole VW group cars which of course share most mechanical bits. I also prefer the designs to the usual Toyotas,but those blinking Japs do make reliable motors! Having said that, a lot are made here in Derby, so buy British. =))

MidlifeZ

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 se
BMW 535d m sport touring
BMW 335i m sport touring

Off to bed Happy Sunday night everyone x