UPgrading Roadster brakes

Tony Dean

British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 M roadster
Anyone? I am sitting at 140K on the Engine. Which is the almost bullet proof 2.8.. Still puts out 225 with the de-restriction of the new inlet manifold and intake..

Recently the car has had a full strip down to its knickers .... and wax oiled before a showroom type re-spray.

While the 2.8 engine still has some value I am selling it and upgrading to the 3.2 3.5 S rebuilt engine.. which will give me 400BHP normally aspirated (or approx.).

Now with that extra power and living in Cornwall, any sensible roadster owner will look at the need for better handling and stopping power.

I have been reading (rightly or wrongly) that the existing callipers with a overhaul will do. However the discs and back plates are the original and in a state so need replacing anyhow. For me its probably time to think of a sensible cost effective upgrade to the brakes and discs..

What stock callipers can I replace my original 1998 roasters with, that would definitely be an improvement and upgrade..
I shall also be putting new shocks and stiffening cross members on her. It will be a sleeper not a race car.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
i was looking at what parts fit quite recently, you can go bigger on the discs, im sure someone who has done all this will be along soon.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
With 400bhp you might want to get something a bit better than anything OEM from that era, it's only lately BMW M brakes have caught up with the power they make!
That's going to be very nice engine, would love to hear what all will be done to it.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Sounds very interesting. Shame you've not posted as you've done these jobs, would have made a good read.
Please set up a progress thread and keep us infromed.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Hi

The attached file are my notes from posts from all around the interweb about Z3 brake upgrades.

As with all upgrades, please check your local laws and automotive rules to see what is allowed and what has to be certified.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Muzz

Attachments

Tony Dean

British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 M roadster
Sounds very interesting. Shame you've not posted as you've done these jobs, would have made a good read.
Please set up a progress thread and keep us infromed.
When i get onto these major jobs i will, the only thing happening now is the respray and thats pretty bog standard stuff. All the panels and splash guards are just bolted on or self tapped.. one thing though i have done thats different is fitted a tow bar.. though that was really easy too.. the bar kit came with instructions and took only an hour to fit. It is a limited weight bar and electrics fit as standard without relays good old earlier technology

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
. one thing though i have done thats different is fitted a tow bar.. though that was really easy too.. the bar kit came with instructions and took only an hour to fit. It is a limited weight bar and electrics fit as standard without relays good old earlier technology[/QUOTE]
:wideyed:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I looked into this a lot some years ago for my M. The only big brake upgrade I found that fitted without modding was the 8 series front callipers they are a 4 pot brembo caliper.

and they look like this. If my memory serves me well they are from an E31. matched with E46 M3 discs

1830_BMW%20TRABAJO%20DE%20CALIPERS%20BREMBO%2006%20[1600x1200].JPG

Or you can buy K series
http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/k-spor...-z3-304mm-6-pot-conversion-kit/prod_2238.html
Just buy the discs and your away.

Last edited: