Suspension Replacement/Upgrades Recommendations please? (Ta Technix any good?)

Lums123

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Hi

So my 1.9 Z3 is currently on what i suspect to be 30mm Lowering springs.

The front are corroded as mentioned on previous MOT and i have now broken a rear spring. So ive been weighing up my options as i plan on doing the following work anyway. (Replace front lower arms, discs, pads)

So the question i have is do i

- Just buy a set of 4 new lowering springs
- Replace Coil-overs as well as springs

Im not looking to spend hundreds. I Have seen these TA TECHNIX Coil-over set on Ebay which im swaying more towards atm as they're reasonably priced and adjustable height. TA Technix Coilovers Set BMW Z3 E36 Lowering Suspension | eBay

Has anyone fitted these to there Z3? Any Good?

Ideally id like to buy some better quality ones but dont want to break the bank.

if anyone has any recommendations or ideas on what i should do that would be greatly appreciated.

My budget For a set of Coil-overs and springs is around £500 maybe £600.

Many Thanks

Tyler

Attachments

Delk

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 real widebody
I have no experience with TA ones but at that cost I would be worried.

Because of wheel fitment I had to put a set of Maxcrap ones on mine while I waited for BC coilovers to arrive. I could get them cheap and quick. But the ride was diabolical to say the least and I was over the moon when I replaced them. I had planned to pass them on after I used them but they were so bad I put them directly in the bin. I didnt even want to give them away.

Unless you are doing something special you may just want to go with new dampers and springs.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Appreciate it might be outside your budget, but have been very impressed with a Bilstein B12 suspension kit (Bilstein B8 shocks) fitted about 2 years ago. Think the kit was around £800, but good value for money IMO. My approach has always been to buy the best I can afford. Would be very wary of cheap, don't know about TA ones either. :thumbsup:

Lums123

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Thank you for the replys @Ianmc @Delk

looking about some more I think you’re both right the price of the ta technix is suspiciousand I don’t really feel like putting rubbish coilover on just to change them out again.

Ive seen these springs on eBay so I may just purchase these for now and not replace the coilovers just yet.

These should give me the same ride heigh I currently have and I suppose there reasonably good springs?

thanks

tyler

Attachments

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Check to see if there are any Youtube vids for TA

Lums123

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Yeah i think after watching some reviews on YT and scanning some forums im going to stay clear of these lol.

Overall summed up theyre budget coilovers with pretty crappy ride comfort.

Only positive is there adjustable and cheap.

thanks for the help i think im going to go with the springs ive posted above for now unless anyone can suggest any other coilover sets for around £500 :)

Thanks

Ty

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Oh these the bilstein ones you mentioned? @Ianmc
Looks like it, with B8 shocks. Think they lowered slightly less than the 30mm mentioned, but think the stance is just right. Worth the investment if you can stretch to it! :thumbsup:
1692886159172.jpeg

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Any reviews/opinions on these?

View attachment 273973
I put the B12 kit on my e89, great setup, didn't ruin the ride but improved the handling no end.

Lums123

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Nice one thanks @Nodzed :)

think im just gonna get the springs for now to get her back on the road but these will be a future upgrade for sure.

Mike68

Zorg Addict
Scottish Zeds
Another vote for B12 kit. Replaced my tired shocks and springs with it last year and the difference is night and day. Slightly lower as has been said, but just the right amount.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
TBH even replacing tired original suspension with new standard stuff the difference would equally be "night and day" so it's a hard to say it's just because it was the B12 kit, even though its known as good gear.

Tony.

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
Tend to agree with Tony, changed my original front suspension at 75k with bog standard fare (Monroe shocks, Suplex springs) and the difference was night and day. Was interested to experience the car as BMW as intended and now kind of wish I'd put the original spec Sachs dampers on, but will do that when I get round to refreshing the rear.

Andyboy

Zorg Guru (I)
Coilovers can be okay if you pay loads and avoid Maxspeedingshite but - you will need wheel spacers. Fit coilovers, go to refit the front wheels, and they won't because the tyre sidewall is jammed solid against the spring. Spacers, long bolts.......forget it.

Peter1450

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Have to agree with Tony, I went for originals ( Sachs) for my wife’s ,all 4 for under £300 and it’s like driving a different car.

graeme cook

Hey , new to z3's i know it shares suspension components with e36 and e30 but what are they that are the same ?

TriumphZ3

Dedicated Member
Good question, Graeme - I was just about to start a new thread!! My 1998 Z3 passed MOT last month but the tester told me the rear wishbone bushes were going and would need to be replaced before next year's test. Now: me being me, and same as I do on the Classic cars, I want to lay in two rear wishbones, sandblast and repaint those and rebush then refit in one go. What other cars use the same wishbones, and are they likely to be hard to find / expensive?
And: second question - what rear shocks do those in the know recommend? (Not for racing / lowering, just to replace on a road going car)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Sachs, Monroe are good brands.

Tony.