E89 She arrived... dead battery, boot locked, no circuit / connectivity to battery

ASA

Thank you for that. This is exactly how we managed to get in the boot of my E92 couple years ago. Will try it tonight when I’m back from work and will report back

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
Also - doesn't that grey/green wire end up in the fuse box somewhere, so we could put in 12 volts at the fuse box?

ASA

Great news 😁 Boot opened

Thanks to everyone that assisted in this.
I tried everything that was mentioned (apart from emergency release through ski hatch, because UK cars don’t have it).

Only thing that worked is stripping the grey/green cable that is connected to the junction box behind the glove box and giving it 12 voltes. The boot just popped open.
Picture below shows the wire slightly stripped.

A845C0FC-C992-4C95-AE3C-24A952A2E958.jpeg

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
You sir, are a superstar - worked like a charm (grey / green wire)
You are welcome we try to help. To be fair I just spent a bit of time on google, thank the guy who posted the thread. 😁😁 glad its sorted.

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
I can see this car is going to make me work to get a drive with the top down!
When I bought it, the roof was only 95% closed and the windows are all down. I've now got power in the car and she actually starts OK (with a heap of warning lights relating to the missing front corner, the airbags, etc!). The "roof open" button light is flashing and does nothing in terms of moving the roof. Also the window buttons do nothing (I'm sure the windows and roof are related, but I hoped the windows would work). I guess I need to get the roof closed properly and locked, then the windows will work??? Car is getting very damp inside with its stylish non-standard plastic bag windows, so I'm a bit desperate for even more help. How can I start my troubleshooting please?
PS I have installed a new outside temp sensor, as the original is in a ditch somewhere with my headlight - I know these roofs won't move if the car thinks it is freezing cold outside. She now reports a correct 7 degrees C, so conditions are not freezing.

ASA

I am facing the same issue with damp. As my windows were open and water went in 😂
I managed to close the windows now and I bought a humidifier thing that ur meant to hang in closets for £2 and left it inside the car.

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
How did you close the windows - did it just need the car to come to life?
My roof has a 1cm gap at the top of the windscreen and I'm guessing that's why the windows won't work - only guessing though. I found a puddle behind the passenger seat so I vacuumed it out - still is all very damp though, just hoping I don't get mould in there before the drier days in 3 months time.

ASA

They were playing for a bit. Not sure why but then started the car and put the windows up and closed the doors slowly. After that it kinda fixed it self. I think batter plays a role.

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
Yep, my next step might be a new battery...

Reactions: ASA

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yep, my next step might be a new battery...
Have you tried removing the battery and charging it (or charging it on the car). The E85 Z4 can go into "Delivery Mode" (where electrical operations are limited to specific few items working) if the battery goes dead flat or some times after battery change. I don't know if the E89 can or does the same thing?

Tony.

ASA

Have you tried removing the battery and charging it (or charging it on the car). The E85 Z4 can go into "Delivery Mode" (where electrical operations are limited to specific few items working) if the battery goes dead flat or some times after battery change. I don't know if the E89 can or does the same thing?

Tony.
i took mine out charged it for a day than put it back.

BigCL

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4
Intelligent Charger is complaining that its been trying to charge the battery for more than 6 hours and isnt getting it up to 12v. The current battery is a Ford ! - Do you guys know the current type number for a new battery? I assume it needs to be an AGM stop-start?