Sean d progress thread

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Still deciding on colours? have a look through this which is all the colours available for zeds and if you click on the colour it brings a picture of the car up in the colour, gives you an idea how the car would look in colours as some cars suit colours better than others.

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_colors.htm

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Thanks for the input guys, I think yas marina would look good on a Z3, its descision time as I will be painting it during the xmas break
bm.jpg

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift in Montreal Blue
yes @Sean d good choice, I like that.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Looking at the colour chart, I would go for Evergreen. It's a colour I've never seen a Zed in, it looks great

Mike

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Looking at the colour chart, I would go for Evergreen. It's a colour I've never seen a Zed in, it looks great

Mike
Not for me Mike, spent another 4 hours on the car today, got some more fine prep work done and stripped one of the door cards off, ready to remove and strip the doors.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Finally found a colour that I really want, its a bit risky and I hope it turns out ok, watch this space

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good luck with it Sean, I hope it turns out great. I did that many years ago when I painted my mini traveller Ford Electric Blue. That turned out good. Look forwards to seeing the result mate.:)

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Good luck with it Sean, I hope it turns out great. I did that many years ago when I painted my mini traveller Ford Electric Blue. That turned out good. Look forwards to seeing the result mate.:)

Tony.
Thanks Tony, I have never made such a tough descision, when I embarked on this I had a plan that I would buy a Z3 and it was going to be red, I am probably 50+ hours in and its getting harder as the more time I spend on it the more important the final result becomes, I have battled with myself that I should keep it original but at the end of the day its a 100000+ car that cost just over a grand, I have spent bloody hour upon hour deliberating the colour and I have to say that the darker colours seem to look better to me, I had a conversation today with a colleague and he reckoned that this little jaunt of mine would have cost 3 grand had it been put through the books,

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Well Sean each to his own, judging by the effort your putting in, whatever colour you've chosen, the results will be excellent.

Mike

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks Tony, I have never made such a tough descision, when I embarked on this I had a plan that I would buy a Z3 and it was going to be red, I am probably 50+ hours in and its getting harder as the more time I spend on it the more important the final result becomes, I have battled with myself that I should keep it original but at the end of the day its a 100000+ car that cost just over a grand, I have spent bloody hour upon hour deliberating the colour and I have to say that the darker colours seem to look better to me, I had a conversation today with a colleague and he reckoned that this little jaunt of mine would have cost 3 grand had it been put through the books,
OUCH!. Well mate the hours do add up. You obviously think that it's worth it though Sean or you wouldn't have started out on this route.
It will be worth it , without doubt.

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
OUCH!. Well mate the hours do add up. You obviously think that it's worth it though Sean or you wouldn't have started out on this route.
It will be worth it , without doubt.

Tony.
Thanks guys, its a bit of a gamble but the end result is the same, my wife and I in a proper car and just loving the drive, I only drove this car for 60 miles before it went in the shop and fell in love with it, so looking forward to some Z3 meets, we are planning on the one in the lakes.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I like your thinking, risky colour is good. It's a fun roadster after all not a 320d!

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I like your thinking, risky colour is good. It's a fun roadster after all not a 320d!
Cheers pal, what colour is the zed in your avatar, it looks very similar to something I had in mind, it also looks very dark for a z3 and looks more like midnight blue

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Mine is Montreal Blue (like Grumpy's above).
Colour changes depending on light for sure, wheel colour, interior/hood colour.
Darker shades with good metallic help show the curves I think.
Personally I would like to experiment with is colour giving it more metallic 'pop' to lift it - ie what would TVR have done with this colour?
They newer BMW shades seem to do that.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Personally I would like to experiment with is colour giving it more metallic 'pop' to lift it - ie what would TVR have done with this colour?
View attachment 24864 View attachment 24865 View attachment 24866 View attachment 24867
Who's been taking pictures of my ass! :D

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
View attachment 24864 View attachment 24865 View attachment 24866 View attachment 24867
Thanks for that, Bmw certainly are popping their colours, I have been looking at the metallic blacks, such as azurite black, some serious flake, in it,, it only lights up in bright lite.
azurite.jpg

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
As Dino says Montreal which mine is really looks the ticket in the sun but in my eyes dull as dishwater on a dreary day, had mine painted two years ago.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Thanks for that, Bmw certainly are popping their colours, I have been looking at the metallic blacks, such as azurite black, some serious flake, in it,, it only lights up in bright lite.View attachment 24868
They certainly have some nice new dark blues/blacks and the best of them reserved for M cars which keeps it rare.
Carbon black on the e46 is another clever black colour that comes alive in the light.

I'd love to own a body shop, I'd be changing colour every few years!

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
They certainly have some nice new dark blues/blacks and the best of them reserved for M cars which keeps it rare.
Carbon black on the e46 is another clever black colour that comes alive in the light.

I'd love to own a body shop, I'd be changing colour every few years!
Its a bloody nightmare mate, I really can't make my mind up, I also like santorini blue, maybe I should do a short list poll on here and let you lot decide, failing that I will let my 9 yo daughter decide
sant.jpg