Sean d progress thread

Eddie Zedder

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0
I would go somewhere between the two blues Sean, likeTopaz Blue Metallic and yes I am biased! Or go totally leftfield and go for Kawasaki Green.

BMW%20Z4%20-%20A%20Modern%20Sports%20Car_4.jpg

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Had another 12 hours on the Zed over the last 2 days, mainly stripping and working on the doors, to remove the mirrors they have to be folded in to access the 2 allen key bolts, the n/s went to plan but the drivers was seized solid, gave it some elbow and it snapped, checked on line and found a repair kit for £95, sod that sop set to and repaired it, only problem is that it will never fold again, I had some Loctite steel compound in the cupboard, (to be honest I am never without the stuff) its like a sausage, just cut of what is required and work it in your fingers, this mixes the activator and it sets steel hard, I need to give it something to bite so I drilled a series of holes, I did the outside first to make sure it was in the correct position and then did the inside, the putty was squeezed through the holes and down into the base and a bolt was put through and sealed inside the compound, took about 2 hours in total, lastly I drilled another hole in the base for the electric cable as it normally runs through the centre. The only panel left on the car is the bonnet and thats where it is staying as it will be easy to paint on the car.
bmz.jpg
bm5.jpg

bmm.jpg
bmm1.jpg
bmm2.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It'll be a strong repair Sean, but will make the mirror vulnerable if it gets a knock again, and consequently the door panel as well. Have you settled on a colour yet mate?;)

Tony.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Love the Kawasaki green, not sure about the angle of the wheels on that z4

Mike

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That's really positive camber, as apposed to I'm not sure?:ymdevil:=))

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
It'll be a strong repair Sean, but will make the mirror vulnerable if it gets a knock again, and consequently the door panel as well. Have you settled on a colour yet mate?;)

Tony.
I'm pretty sure the repair will be ok mate, its not ideal as it doesn't fold but I think it would snap if it where hit .

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yes, you're right Sean. I've never tried to fold the mirrors on my Z3, or my Z4 for that matter. I would hope the Z4 mirrors would still be flexible enough to fold..................................;)

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Yes, you're right Sean. I've never tried to fold the mirrors on my Z3, or my Z4 for that matter. I would hope the Z4 mirrors would still be flexible enough to fold..................................;)

Tony.
The N/S mirror was pretty tight so I stripped it and gave it a good soak in WD40, used an airline and give it a blow out and then spray greased it, moves lovely and smooth now so should be good for a few years.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Still got plenty of crap coming out of the one in my thread but I won't give up as it's the last donated piece I received from Ash( RIP) and want to see it put to use. I can't believe how much crud is built up in it. JIM

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
@Sean d. I bought a good second hand one off @spurs fan in a coupe and had it painted as it was silver. (Obviously not a problem for you). Think I paid £100. Andy may remember.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Had another 7 hours today, finally got the flow coat of primer on the bonnet, all the other panels had a control coat put on them and flatted with 500 grit, this was the last part of the prep procedure before spraying as it will show any defects that may effect the final finish, I am going in tomorrow to start the wheels, found anther problem today, I had the back and noticed that the leading edge had some type of corrosion, it looks more like electrolysis between alloy and steel as the roof is alloy and the trim screws are steel, its a bad combination especially when moisture is added, didn't look to bad at first glance but once I started scraping it became quite a large area, the fine powder was between the acid etch coat and the top coat,
Oh, I also ordered the paint, :p
b.jpg
b1.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I had a small bit of that on my Z3 too Sean, go one then, you can't just say I've ordered the paint. That's cruel!;)

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I had a small bit of that on my Z3 too Sean, go one then, you can't just say I've ordered the paint. That's cruel!;)

Tony.
Its quite a safe colour Tony, I have been split between sakhir orange and protonic blue, both BMW colours, but after a lot of deliberation and a chat with the paint rep, we decided that protonic was the most sensible choice as sakhir is very transparent and could have caused quite a few issues, especially when it came to repainting any part in the future.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Nice colour choice and pretty rare- is it an i8 only colour?
I didn't realize that the i8 was not Estoril actually but I'm sure side by side you'll spot the difference.

So now that's sorted what wheels are going to choose?!!!

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I'll park this here if you don't mind:
image.jpeg

It seems to show the curves and edges better than Estoril (which is a bit 'soft' in comparison).
Must be some funky new paint tech!

Can't wait to see the paint go on! Must be super exciting after all the slog of preparation to get to put the colour on.