Rebody Pingu's Kit Car Project

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Perhaps, we'll have a few days without rain. I've started putting stuff back together. The rear beam is finished, but before that goes on, I've made a new section of brake pipe and fitted it. I broke one of the clips, so I need to wait for the P clips to arrive. I'll probably replace all the clips with P clips...
IMG_20240304_164109.jpg

Last edited:

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
The rear beam has been done...

It's a bit more difficult to fit than before, as the camber and toe plates mean that the arms have to be fitted before the beam can be.

The LHR arm can't be fitted just yet, as I need to do the bearing. I managed to get the hub off, but I can't get the circlip out until I get a new circlip tool.

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
LHR bearing is done. It's not an easy job, as anyone who has done one can tell you.

Tracking is not going well, but camber is close.

Rear camber left = 1° Neg
Rear camber right = 1° Pos
Rear toe left = 26' Out
Rear toe right = 1°00' In

Wheelbase right = 2455mm
Wheelbase left = 2465mm

I think that offset pins for the rear beam bushes will cure most of the problems. I think a 3.6mm offset at each side will bring the wheelbase closer to 2460mm (it should be 2459mm). I just need to work out how I will make it.

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I can't help reading all this I think that I should be saying Sorry !!
Good news :)

After buying the stuff to make the offset pins, I had another look at the tracking and camber. Camber is much improved and only just out of tolerance. It may come into tolerance when I have weight in the car.

The same with rear tracking. It is the same on both sides, but toed-in a bit too much.

I think everything could sort itself out when the rear end is fully assembled, but it will be much harder to adjust.

Camber Right = 0°
Camber Left = 1° Pos

Toe-in = 1°09'
Deviation = 0°01.5'

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
It would be interesting to see how accurate your method of measurement is. Nice to see it being done from first principles!

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I hoped that I would be able to reverse-engineer all the dashboard's functionality, but it was not to be.

I can't get the SW/WS wire that goes to the various ECUs around the car to pulse correctly. The pulse from the diff speed sensor (BR/RT wire) is a 5.5v square wave, and the SW/WS wire should be a 12v pulse wave. I found this out from my roadster. I disconnected the driveshafts, so the diff could turn, but not the wheels...

I've tried amplifiers and various other stuff, but no joy. My only solution is to wire the instrument cluster back into the car, but first, I have to test it...

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
The Z3 cluster is now fitted to the car and the wipers work properly. I assume that everything else is working properly as well. There are many ECUs that monitor the vehicle's speed, including ...

On-Board Computer
Wash/Wipe Module
DME Control Module
Diagnostic Connector
Cruise Control Module (not fitted)
Radio

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I've just taken it for a quick drive, and there is something rubbing around the LHR wheel. I'm hoping that it is the backplate. I've modified the anti-roll bar, as it kept popping off. It is still connected.

Time for some investigations.🔎

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Air-conditioning adaptors replaced and air-con recharged.

It's getting closer by the day.

The car is now as good as a normal car probably needs to be, but there's always something more to do.

Next is to remove the tracking arms and try to free them off. I should have done this when the car was stripped down, but I ran out of time due to having to leave the workshop.

I'll be taking it for a wee bimble (bimble with a "B" ;) ) in June. After that, I'll be powder-coating the wheels and putting on a new set of tyres.

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
Love a cost effective problem solved.

Pond

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Drill out the threaded hole with a 13.5mm drill and press in an M6 nut...

IMG_20240505_110413.jpg

Job jobbed :cool:
Forgive me, but that looks decidedly dangerous to me. Six tiny contact points on each nut? Just asking to ream themselves free IMO.

Last edited:

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I was thinking that the original thread got stripped because the bolt bottomed out. If that was the case then it'll still bottom out and pull the nut out of it's seat.

I thought those spinners had brackets that went behind the wheel?