Noisy Pulley’s

Nicholas rose

Hi All,

I recently took on my fathers 1.9 M44 T Reg after it’s been stood for a while and when started there is a horrendous noise coming from the Pulleys (not a squeal more of metal on metal). I noticed that the AC pulley isn’t turning and the belt is just sliding over. Also, the main pulleys are all slightly corroded and the noise could be coming from them too. Any advice on where to get a new A/C compressor? Also any advice on best place to get belts and pulleys to replace the others?

Thanks

Nick

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
WELCOME from Aylesbury
Our lovely resident breaker @spurs fan in a coupe can help with parts :thumbsup:
Lovely colour Z3 More pics please :p

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Doubt the aircon compressor is at fault, the clutch will not engage if low gas pressure and what you are seeing is the pulley free wheeling. Hard to assess without seeing but suspect the idler pulley. Rust on pulleys will disappear with use. May be worth if no history changing water pump,.idler, belt etc. Any member near you that would take a peek for you? That wouldn't be Fiji green by any chance?
I use bmw motormec for parts (good price and quick service) , use Meyle or Lemforder brands.

misterpie

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3, 1.9 manual, M44
Second the above posts. Welcome :)

My Z3 is fine (touchs wood), but my previous toy - 318iS had squeeky pulleys. Same M44 engine.

A few squirts may help pin point which one is noisy.

For me the aux belt tensioner pulley was stiff and wanging about which was worring as i thought the belt would give out and they squeeked.
I got the bits from EuroCarParts - other souces are available ;-)

Here's what I put on (worth checking part numbers for yourself!):-
1 x 326110060 @ 17.58 GBP
Ina Deflection Pulley
for: BMW 3 Series Coupe/Cabriolet 1.8 1995
----
1 x 326110450 @ 29.62 GBP
Ina Drive Belt Tensioner
----
1 x 326110570 @ 66.00 GBP
Ina Drive Belt Tensioner
----
1 x 202110195 @ 5.87 GBP
ContiTech Drive Belt
----
1 x 202440315 @ 10.99 GBP
ContiTech Drive Belt
----

Easy enough job, take photos of the belt paths first.

OH, and also, my AC clutch squeeked regardless (yours is stuck?). I stripped it, cleaned and greased it and put it back. Again easy enough and was good for at least 3 years when I sold the car on.

HTH.

Nicholas rose

Hi All,

Thanks for your rapid response!

I’m just getting round to it now and I’m having issues getting the tensioner off (the unit).

Any advice to get the old girl off? I’ve even tried taking power steering pulley off but that sucker is stuck on tight!

Thanks in advance Nick

Attachments

Nicholas rose

Just a follow up to this...

I have managed to loosen the tensioner off, wahooo!

However... it’s currently stuck behind the power steering pump pulley! I’ve removed the 3 13mm bolts and the thing is stuck! I’ve try tapping it with a mallet wiggling it back and forth and even wd40’ing it and it won’t even budge!

Worth investing in a bearing/pulley puller to try and pull it off?

Cheers

Nick

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Not the way to go Nick, you need to loosen the pump mountings and swing it out of the way. Don't remove the pulley from the pump.

Tony.

ps. While you have the pump out of the way and the belt(s) off have a good look to see if there is any leakage at oil from the oil filter housing. If there is you're more than halfway to doing that (very common on the M44) job too.

Nicholas rose

Hi Tony,

Thank you for saving me from a world of pain!
Hopefully get it started by midday, I can’t remember seeing signs of any oil leaks from the housing but I’ll check now this morning :) thank you for the heads up! It definitely needs an oil change too... (it’s getting done too)

Thank you for all your help!

Cheers

Nick