New hardtop not playing ball

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
I have a quick question, I've recently added a hardtop to the Z, driver side seals well all-around but under heavy rain the point where the passenger side rubber and the a pillar rubber meet had a slow drip dropping onto the seat! The floor is dry and the seals look like they're joint well, the only thing I noticed was that a little water was sitting at that point on top of the window (driver side doesn't show any of that).

Soft top has been water tight for 10+ years but the hardtop isn't behaving.

Any suggestions or ideal products would be gratefully received, before I start silicone coating/ glueing things... o_O

I'll get some pics ASAP

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
And one of the drivers side good seal.

What would you suggest? I've treated the seals last week with a sonax rubber care stick but not the flat part of the joint / seal

Attachments

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
That's looks quite a good seal so before attaching some rubber tube or silicone to that A pillar area.
I would try more spray on runner care (gunna pledge) especially at the point it looks 'porous'.
You can also move the seal slightly forward - it slides on a runner.

If that fails then a piece of neatly cut tube stuck with black silicone adhesive should do it. Mine had more a gap hence I did added the seals.

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
Thanks dino, I did find a split under it but its on the interior and separate from the seal. Is this a concern?

Is the seal that moves on the a pillar or the hardtop (guessing the top) :whistle:

Attachments

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Sorry when I said the seal slides I meant on the soft top rail, can'r remember on the hardtop but I think it's all on piece and bonded to to the top so no adjustments.
In that cars I'd try some rubber tube on the car side of the A pillar to make a tighter seal.

You can also try aligning the hardtop which is the correct way to go about it but you need an extra pair of hands and bit of patience to keep adjusting each side ( the rear mountings) until it's sits right.

You could also sit in the car and have someone hose it down and see exactly where it's coming in as sometimes it drips in a different place from where it actually comes in.

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
Great, thanks Dino.

i'll get some this asap and get it bonded.

:thumbsup:

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I would have thought that if the seals are sound its an adjustment issue?

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
Hi @Ianmc, yeah i looked into that but the rear mounts are going on easily (with a little expected pressure) and the top is sitting flush with the interior.

What i can see is the hardtop seal ends lower than the a pillar on the passenger side but flush with the driver side (passenger side is the issue,

Front bolts are tight and hood looks flush on both sides.

@hard top

i'm yet to take it off and see if the A pillar rubber triangle is letting in the water from the overflow hole,

Do you think its worth just trapping the trimmed cycle rubber between the hardtop seal and the A pillar seal as a temp fix untill i have a few hours to silicone and cure? or is that a waste of time... :)

If it is then i'll follow the .PDF you supplied using the cycle rubber i just picked and the silicone to fix that, would you advise to gorilla glue it first then silicone over it bonding the trimmed rubber on?

Thanks everyone for the time and advice with this, its very troubling to see water in the cabin ...

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Do you think its worth just trapping the trimmed cycle rubber between the hardtop seal and the A pillar seal as a temp fix untill i have a few hours to silicone and cure? or is that a waste of time... :)
Could work.
Bette solution is to just get the hardtop off, summer is here apparently (with a bit of rain but if you go fast enough you don't get wet :)

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Hi @Ianmc,
i'm yet to take it off and see if the A pillar rubber triangle is letting in the water from the overflow hole,..............
Before you get into fitting patches check whether the triangle is leaking through its' adhesive seal. With top off, or open, fill the drainage channel with water and squeeze the triangular rubbers and see if water oozes through the adhesive seal. If so just clean it out, dry it and re-seal with silicone rubber no need to fit any patches. Did mine 7 years ago and still Ok - although now I've tempted fate it will probably leak tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
OK, yeah I want to get all the simple options crossed off before I start adding to something.

Strange thing is today its been raining but not a downpour like yesterday when it did leak, today its bone dry, even the a pillar rubber which was saturated yesterday evening... Weird...

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Looks to me as if the roof needs a little fettling in to position, can you take a picture of the hardtop where it sits on the body of the car (where a normal B pillar would be?) I get the impression that the hart top is slightly askew.

Mani

Model of Z
Z3 2.0i
Hi Brian. Sure I'll do that in the morning.

Thanks

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Ripped from the web.
Remembered reading it years ago but had to do a little searching to find it again.

Some of you were so kind as to help me with a leak problem at the A*****ar seal on my 2001 Roadster. The possibility was raised that the rubber had shrunken and needed to be restored with Gummi-Phlege (sp?) or something similar. I did that, with only modest improvement in the situation. Then I followed another recommendation of tightening the roof latch. That apeared to "fix" the problem, at least for the moment.

Then I got my new/used hardtop and fitted it to the car. I got slow leaks at the A*****ar seals on both sides. This time, I KNEW that I had good, tight contact between the rubber on both sides, so the problem had to lie elsewhere.

When looking at the problem further, I discovered the problem. I'm thinking it's got to be a problem on other cars too -- probably even a common one.

If you look at the A-pillar seal on the windshield side, it looks like this...

See the almost triangular-shaped rubber recess in the middle of the thing? That's actually a rubber plug. Take note of it.

Now look at the top side of the seal. In this picture, notice the rain groove, just forward of the seal above the windshield. It communicates with a recess in the A*****ar rubber. An overflow (?) hole exists just next to it. You can put a probe in one hole and see it through the other hole...

These holes both connect to the interior of the weather stripping in the door jamb, such that water flowing into these holes flows around the door and exits through weep holes in the weather stripping in the step plate area...

(pardon the focus)

Now, look back up at the rubber semi-triangular plug. That's what stands between the convoluted aquaduct system and the A-pillar seal.

This is the other side of the A-pillar seal (on a hardtop)...

Note that if the water gets past the plug, there is nothing to keep it from flowing into the interior of the car. In fact it is actually diverted in that direction.

AND HERE IS THE PROBLEM...

The glue/adhesive fastening the plug in the hole had given way, allowing the water to leak from the grand aquaduct, into the A-pillar seal, and ultimately into the interior of the car. I was able to verify that water came out from around the plug when I poured water through the drainage hole on the outside of the car. And yes, this had happened on both sides of the car. (Please note: I verified the leak before actually poking anything into this area!!)

Exploring further, I poked a screwdriver into the hole and found that the adhesive came apart VERY easily all the way around -- again, on both sides of the car. So I applied an adhesive to the gap between the plug and the surrounding rubber. It's curing tonight. I can only presume this will solve my leakage problem.

I *think* that may also solve the leakage problem of at least one other list member as well -- new ragtop, new leak. I think the leak can show up when a different amount of compression on the seal causes the gap between the plug and surrounding rubber to open up.

I hope that helps a few other folks!

Peace,
Sarah
Last edited by JonM; 05-28-2009 at 07:45 AM.