Need Repair Advice on a Crank/No Start

visegrips

Just picked up a cheap 98 with 1.9 motor in it. It sit for awhile before I went and bought it. It is in really rough shape, but its a decent project car. The guy stated that somebody tried to steal it, but I don't think they did. There were no signs of forced entry, just the key had its normal 360 spin issue. He was missing the chip in the key as well. He stated that it had been running a few months back before his kids lost the chip in the key.

I got it home, got a new chip programmed with the AR90+, got the motor to crank (which was more than I had before the non-existent chip). Could not get it to start, it also has a new battery in it. (I am pretty savvy on Chevy's and have farmed most of my life, so I can fix things.)

Put new plugs in it, swapped with a known good fuel pump (previous guy did a shoddy job wiring in a new pump, and didn't even use the correct pump that matched up with the sending unit.) So I found a used sending unit with a good pump, and rewired the harness to the fuel pump.

I have fuel at the rail because the schrader valve has pressure behind it while cranking. Haven't checked it yet with a gauge, but there is pressure being built while cranking. I have spark, but only checked with pulling out the plug and putting it against the intake.

So with that said, I cannot get it to start. Not sure if I need a new CPS or camshaft sensor, or a new DME (from other searches).

Another strange thing is that the lights come on the dash, but no gauges are working (the odometer is not working either).

I have tried to read codes, but nothing is popping up to read according to the reader.

What do you think I should try next?

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Have you checked: all the fuses are OK, the air filter in case it’s blocked? And cleaned and reset the plug gaps.

Mike

visegrips

Have you checked: all the fuses are OK, the air filter in case it’s blocked? And cleaned and reset the plug gaps.

Mike

Fuses appear to be good for what I think would control the mechanics of the car. I need to check the fuses for the gauge cluster, because I have yet to do that. The air filter is not blocked, and all the plugs are brand new.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Ok, check the fuel pressure at the injectors or as near to as practicable. See if that pressure is anywhere near the pressure require. The Bentley Manuel should give you the fuel pressure required!

Mike

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You say you have a spark at the coils? I would pull out the air filter and spray some carburettor cleaner or Clutch/brake cleaner into the induction port then crank the motor sand see if you get any reaction. If you do then it's clear lack of fuel is the issue. But first I would remove and clean and gap all the spark plugs.

Tony.

visegrips

You say you have a spark at the coils? I would pull out the air filter and spray some carburettor cleaner or Clutch/brake cleaner into the induction port then crank the motor sand see if you get any reaction. If you do then it's clear lack of fuel is the issue. But first I would remove and clean and gap all the spark plugs.

Tony.
I should have stated that above, but I have tried starting fluid, and it doesn’t even attempt to start even with starting fluid.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Next step is do a compression test.

Tony.