My Z3 1998 1.9

MikeK

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1998 1.9
Hi,

I recently bought a Z3 1998 1.9. It is a right hand drive UK model. Has a lot of small age related issues but really fun to drive.
Previous owners were a bit weird with their """""repairs"""" so i am trying to fix stuff and eventually i would like to improve things.

From my research those are my current problems and solutions i have found. Hope it helps someone.

1) Roof tonneau cover missing. I found out its too expensive and not worth having. Not really needed especially with my manual roof.
2) Oil filter mount gasket leak. Parts and tools cost <50£ here in the UK. I am planning to fix this next week.
3) Tools. I am getting some ramps for simple oil changes and a set of sockets from 10-20mm is fine for most if not all things. Also from my research my 20-100Nm torque wrench should be fine for most repairs.
4) Stereo. mine had an aftermarket cassette stereo in the console and a CD changer in the boot. Both disconnected and cables were in terrible condition. Again after a bit of research with my multimeter, The power and speaker connection in the console are independent from the connections to the CD changer. I removed the CD changer, i plan to cover all connections for safety and replace wires in the console and get a new stereo something more 2021 but simple to match the car.
5) Roof back window leaking. I tried silicone but no success. Zipper is gone and last guy put silicone into it so no hope fixing that. My plan is to use contact adhesive for the fabric and then stich over it for extra strength. Last guy did such a terrible job so i will probably need to use as many tricks as i can.

Good thing in my car is that the gearbox feels fine and half the suspension looks new. + it only cost 1000£ for the whole car.
My exhaust is a cheap 3 series sports one but i think its only the muffler replaced. Sounds great but rattling not like proper M style exhaust.
Engine is weak relative to my other options for the Z3 but makes insurance and tax cheap and its easy to fix. I like it. No vanos no problems.

Keet

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i M Sport
Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Mike welcome from me near Lincoln. Which part of the UK are from please?

Tony.

BillyB

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Individual Roadster
:welcome:from Edinburgh

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi and :welcome: from me too, just down the road in Stafford.