M44 performance?

Luke_z3

American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Hey guys Im in a bit of a hard spot right now. So I’m picking up another 97’ Z3 this weekend and I’m going to turn it into a drift car. So I’m taking out all the interior and trunk etc. but the problem lies beneath the bonnet (hood) the car has a problem with holding anti freeze and I’m pretty sure it’s the headgasket which isn’t a big deal. The problem is I don’t know any cheap performance mods I can do the the M44 engine. The 1.9 4cyl isn’t made for power as we all know. Can someone help
Me out and let me know how I can get
Some power out of this little 4cyl. - Luke

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
If it's the head gasket you must check if the head needs to be skimmed. Usually this is needed when engine was hard overheated.
If you change the exhaust and the air filter, you'll be surprised what this little 4 cyl can give! The car is very good in the hair pins, but maybe for drifting a 2.8 will be more appropriate...
It will be interesting if you can open a post with mods and progress!:)
And search on the forum threads, I'm sure you'll find something helpful.
Dan

Luke_z3

American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
If it's the head gasket you must check if the head needs to be skimmed. Usually this is needed when engine was hard overheated.
If you change the exhaust and the air filter, you'll be surprised what this little 4 cyl can give! The car is very good in the hair pins, but maybe for drifting a 2.8 will be more appropriate...
It will be interesting if you can open a post with mods and progress!:)
And search on the forum threads, I'm sure you'll find something helpful.
Dan
thanks dan! i already have a 2.8 and i love it. i did an K&N intake on my 6 cyl and it puts down some power. i have no problem passing my budies turbo civic and turbo 435xi. this car is just gonna have the M44 4cyl in it for a lil bit till we can find a good v8 to swap in there. i was thinking about doing a honeycomb with a headlight delete and a straight pipe. do you think thats a good idea?

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
I think it's a great idea! :thumbsup:
I find so good when legislation let you make mods and you can free the creative spirit!
So do it!
Please keep us posted with the progress!:)

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hey guys Im in a bit of a hard spot right now. So I’m picking up another 97’ Z3 this weekend and I’m going to turn it into a drift car. So I’m taking out all the interior and trunk etc. but the problem lies beneath the bonnet (hood) the car has a problem with holding anti freeze and I’m pretty sure it’s the headgasket which isn’t a big deal. The problem is I don’t know any cheap performance mods I can do the the M44 engine. The 1.9 4cyl isn’t made for power as we all know. Can someone help
Me out and let me know how I can get
Some power out of this little 4cyl. - Luke
Get hold of some leak testing/drain testing dye, make sure it's the organic and non toxic type, brightest colour you can. Drain some of the water out the rad and top up with dye mix. Run up to temp and switch off. If you have a leak you'll find it pretty quickly. No leaks, and no mixing with the oil, then the engines probably drinking it. To check for that, make sure the engines at full temp, switch off and very quickly remove the plugs, any affected cylinders will usually emit steam.
Mx5/Miata drift quite easily and I've seen enough 1.8/9 engined Compacts get well out of shape when Hillclimbing and Sprinting, no reason a Z3 would be different. Harder tyres at the rear, probably reduce the rolling radius to alter the gearing, a touch of camber at the front. Sorted.
The drift schools here use plastic covers on the tyres for tuition, ( and to reduce noise where it's a concern). Might be worth having a word with one of them. If there's no one your side of the pond, contact www.driftlimits.co.uk info@driftlimits.co.uk mark it for attention of Scott, my lad, he'll help you out.

Iain

Luke_z3

American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Get hold of some leak testing/drain testing dye, make sure it's the organic and non toxic type, brightest colour you can. Drain some of the water out the rad and top up with dye mix. Run up to temp and switch off. If you have a leak you'll find it pretty quickly. No leaks, and no mixing with the oil, then the engines probably drinking it. To check for that, make sure the engines at full temp, switch off and very quickly remove the plugs, any affected cylinders will usually emit steam.
Mx5/Miata drift quite easily and I've seen enough 1.8/9 engined Compacts get well out of shape when Hillclimbing and Sprinting, no reason a Z3 would be different. Harder tyres at the rear, probably reduce the rolling radius to alter the gearing, a touch of camber at the front. Sorted.
The drift schools here use plastic covers on the tyres for tuition, ( and to reduce noise where it's a concern). Might be worth having a word with one of them. If there's no one your side of the pond, contact www.driftlimits.co.uk info@driftlimits.co.uk mark it for attention of Scott, my lad, he'll help you out.

Iain
thanks mate! ill check them out

Luke_z3

American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
I think it's a great idea! :thumbsup:
I find so good when legislation let you make mods and you can free the creative spirit!
So do it!
Please keep us posted with the progress!:)
the guy bailed on selling it to us last minute :grumpy:

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
What can you do? People get attached to their car...;)
I'm sure another opportunity will pop up!