Lowering Options? Which is the best?

Toby Mills

Looking to lower my 1998 1.9

Really need help on what will be best for the car. I want around 40mm ride height. Looking for all round balance between aesthetic and performance.

Looked at lowering springs, coilovers and lowering kits. On a budget of £300

Please can I have some advice on which is the best? Photo attached to give you guys a better idea of how far car needs to come aesthetically.

Attachments

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
For both my 1.9 and 2.8 I’ve gone for Monroe shocks and Eibach Pro kit springs. Very happy with the drop :thumbsup:

Also something I found out on the way is that the spring pads are different thickness for different engines. So your able to get thinner pads for a bit of extra drop.

My 2.8 with drop
8DE07F39-0AF8-48B7-8C18-AA767AEC7AFB.jpeg

My 1.9 with drop
7D91FA22-203E-4111-8A5D-68D896017262.jpeg

Reactions: Lee

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Do you really want to drop it 40mm? Even 30mm will occasionally catch speed bumps. But 30mm is the standard drop people tend to go for.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Do you really want to drop it 40mm? Even 30mm will occasionally catch speed bumps. But 30mm is the standard drop people tend to go for.
think he said he wants a 40mm ride height not a 40mm drop Rob

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Eibach Pro here too ............... on original (very low mileage) shocks.

New springs 041.jpg

Tony.

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Also looking at some suspension upgrades myself at the moment and there is a decent amount to consider when making a choice. I think it's also good to consider not just suspension but also the wheel and tyre combinations that you want to run. By changing parameters with ride height and wheel sizes, the comfort to perormance equilibirum will shift.

Heres some of my ebay watch list:

Fixed position:
Bilstein b4 kit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-BILST...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-P...adster&hash=item417d412616:g:~8cAAOSw631c3UQD

Bilsein B12 Kit https://www.ebay.de/itm/EIBACH-BILS...ke:BMW&hash=item56c91493b3:g:jJIAAOSwWAldUvQY

As a lot of forum members have said, these are a tried and tested, happy formula for a lot of Z owners. Probably the cheapest option if its just springs. The shocks might still have some life left.

Coilovers:

https://lowerks.com/vogtland-coilovers-bmw-z3-95.html A set of Vogtland coilovers will give you 30mm drop at a minimum with more adjustabilty in ride height. When buying coilovers, its worth looking for some trademark symbols, TUV, which is the german road standards agency have strict vehicle codes and cars must used tested parts. These are about as cheap a good quality coilover as i can source. Also TUV rated.

If you are feeling flush https://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilovers-for-bmw-z3-96-02.html HSD do coilovers with top camber plates too. And for a deeper dredge of your pockets bc racing, kw and up will be the peak in terms of coilover options. These places like driftworks and demon tweeks also seem to offer some interest free credit for 6 months and i would assume other retailers too.

There are some cheaper coilovers on ebay available but i have never heard of anyone using them so could not report anything on those but there is a phrase, you get what you pay for and i think its worth bearing in mind.
Wheels&tyres

If you intend to run 18-19 inch wheels more often, i would say look at a Bilstein B6 strut with a standard spring for 15mm lowering, alot of arch gap can be filled with wheel and tyre combo and with a reasonable amount of comfort retained. 30mm lowering with 18-19 inch wheels is a pretty rough ride on UK roads and not a pleasant driving experience imho.

The reason i like 17's is that i can have a little bit more tyre sidewall to soften up the ride. There really is a big difference from filling a lost inch of wheel rim and gaining some more rubber when the car is lowered 30mm.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
My Z3 had K&W coil overs on and the handling was great.
I put Eibach Pro springs on my Z4 with existing shockers (low mileage) and it gives a slightly less bumpy ride but also great handling.
Shirl prefers it to the Z3.

Tony.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Looking to lower my 1998 1.9

Really need help on what will be best for the car. I want around 40mm ride height. Looking for all round balance between aesthetic and performance.

Looked at lowering springs, coilovers and lowering kits. On a budget of £300

Please can I have some advice on which is the best? Photo attached to give you guys a better idea of how far car needs to come aesthetically.

I able to lower the car for next to nothing. Well, perhaps the cost of a little more gas. When I want to get it REALLY low to the ground, I take the wife for a ride.................Frankie

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Me, I keep away from the water. . . . . . .

Tony.

Mario

Zorg Legend
Toby have you completed the suspension upgrade? If not I am selling some eibach Pro powder coated for 80 quid that's a minus 30mm drop if that works.