Found Hard Top Screws

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Individual Fiji Green
It's usually taped back on itself and you have to have little fingers to have a good feel around for it and dexterity to undo the loom tape. Take out the switch panel to do it, PITA to clip the panel back in place though.
Found the plug and got it out okay but that switch plate sure was a PITA!

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Just out of interest I asked my local BMW dealer if they could fit the top for me - doing know why I bothered, they asked me to take the instructions in to them to study and quote from!

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
BMW Dealers - All Car Dealers - Sorry, but I have no faith in any of them!:mad:

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Just out of interest I asked my local BMW dealer if they could fit the top for me - doing know why I bothered, they asked me to take the instructions in to them to study and quote from!
I may be wrong but I believe their book states seven hours for initial set up of a HT. JIM

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
I may be wrong but I believe their book states seven hours for initial set up of a HT. JIM
The instruction book I've got says an hour - with the correct tools and a technician who knew what they were doing back in the Z3 production days it probably was an hour but is now seven due to the loss of the skillset lol!

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Quite likely you're correct but don't forget to take into account that they are talking brand new everything. When you buy separate components they'll have each been in a different car so things could be very far off from where they will end up on your car. From what I gather it's important to get the front set up correct before moving onto adjusting the fitting kit. Past advise was to go slowly side to side to get the top tightened down evenly. The rear needs to have slight clearance to prevent any flexing of the top to rub your paint. Too much clearance and it may bounce slightly causing a clunking noise. I'm sure the old BMW crews had their secret measurements they could use to dial in the hardware prior to starting which would have saved them time. As you state, how many now have that skill set to work on older Zeds. Likely not many!! JMO. JIM

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Quite likely you're correct but don't forget to take into account that they are talking brand new everything. When you buy separate components they'll have each been in a different car so things could be very far off from where they will end up on your car. From what I gather it's important to get the front set up correct before moving onto adjusting the fitting kit. Past advise was to go slowly side to side to get the top tightened down evenly. The rear needs to have slight clearance to prevent any flexing of the top to rub your paint. Too much clearance and it may bounce slightly causing a clunking noise. I'm sure the old BMW crews had their secret measurements they could use to dial in the hardware prior to starting which would have saved them time. As you state, how many now have that skill set to work on older Zeds. Likely not many!! JMO. JIM
There should be little rubber pads along the rear edge of your hard top to stop it bouncing. If these are in situ you shouldn't get any paint on paint contact. They also help to keep the tension in the side adjusters.

When I fit my hard top I place it in position and fit the front retaining screws and tighten them may be 75%, then check for an even seal along the top edge of the windscreen. If all is good, tighten the front screws fully. The rears are just a rotary tension screw thing so turn it all the way and it's locked on. Then just tighten the locking bolt on each of the rotary tension screws and your good to go.

Can't say I've ever measured the gap between the hard top and the car, but mine doesn't rub and doesn't move, and visually the gap is even all the way along the back edge.

If you are fitting your hard top for the very first time you will undoubtedly have to mess around getting the front adjusters correctly set up, but once they are done you shouldn't have to touch them again.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I agree @ Jack Ratt what I was saying was the chances of getting a fitting kit with a HT is getting extremely unlikely therefore a mismatched set up will take some playing around as you've stated also. And yes, once initial set up is done properly reinstall is a few minute job. JIM

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks guys I'll let you know how I get on but a little issue with my seat motors to deal with first!

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
@Low Rider . Steve doesn't look too bad think you need to aquire a couple of pistachio side grilles to fit with the hardtop to complete your 2tone look maybe some pistachio brake calipers

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
@Low Rider . Steve doesn't look too bad think you need to aquire a couple of pistachio side grilles to fit with the hardtop to complete your 2tone look maybe some pistachio brake calipers
I all ready have the bonnet side grilles in pistachio which I have for sale

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
As tonight is going to be a very wet one I've got the hard top on ready