DIY 108 Split Rim refurb

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I have a set of those Rob but there's no space round the bolts unfortunately. I have to find something to knock into the rounded head, I just don't know what. Yet.

Tony.
Sorry, of course. @Nodzed had already dismantled them before I bought mine off him.

He might well have the answer by the way having split these beasts himself.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Sorry, of course. @Nodzed had already dismantled them before I bought mine off him.

He might well have the answer by the way having split these beasts himself.
I had two bolts with bad heads I just hit an over sized torx in and carefully undone it (lots of WD40 for a few days first) Try a little bit of tightening first.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Tried a T45 Niall and it rounded out too. T50 won't even look at knocking in. By the way did you get new bolts? From?

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Tried a T45 Niall and it rounded out too. T50 won't even look at knocking in. By the way did you get new bolts? From?

Tony.
I've got the new bolts as well that @Nodzed ordered. If he can't remember I think the address is on the back of the original envelope they are still in.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cheers mate, I might need to order a few.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Tony - When you've got the other 19 out, will that allow some movement of the centre?
Am thinking if the offending bolt is soaked, a bit of gentle heat that you might get just enough movement to loosen it off just enough.

Alternatively, could you cut a slot in it to get enough leverage from the wheel hub? Even better, make something up that fits over the bolt but with a bit that fits in the slot...

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
There's very little room to get anything over the bolt head Ian, the holes they're in are just a good fit for them. Maybe when I get the tyres off and all the other bolts out I may be able to loosen the last one. I have a small gas fired heater which may well help. Thanks mate

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I've got the new bolts as well that @Nodzed ordered. If he can't remember I think the address is on the back of the original envelope they are still in.
Cant remember but could check back through my email but if you have the address on the envelope that would be easier

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Tony try something with a different shape like an oversized allen key (the type that fits in a socket) the flatter sides may actually grip better due to the greater surface spread?? worth a try

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Tony try something with a different shape like an oversized allen key (the type that fits in a socket) the flatter sides may actually grip better due to the greater surface spread?? worth a try
I had just got round to that mate, a 6mm is lost but maybe a 7mm may just grip. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thank you. Typical isn't it the very last one had to f*** me.:(

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Sods law mate:( Good luck hope it comes out :thumbsup:

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I had just got round to that mate, a 6mm is lost but maybe a 7mm may just grip. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thank you. Typical isn't it the very last one had to f*** me.:(

Tony.
It's playing with you. Testing your resolve.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You could be right Ian, but I will win, ........................................... eventually;)

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
There's very little room to get anything over the bolt head Ian, the holes they're in are just a good fit for them. Maybe when I get the tyres off and all the other bolts out I may be able to loosen the last one. I have a small gas fired heater which may well help. Thanks mate

Tony.
There's little room for little more than some thin walled pipe by the looks of it. If you could get enough on it as a tight fit it might help get enough purchase on the bolt head. With a thin metal bar (from something like a hacksaw blade into a slot in the bolt head) you should get it moving. Some fabrication to remove a small bolt though :(
Got to be simpler solutions to try first.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Very little access Simon, but it may be my last resort.

Tony.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
old trick sand in the allen key cap and bang an oversize spline . torx bit in... the sand takes up the slack... another tip is impact driver... and heat... if not its a case of drill the head off.. and hope for the best...

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Just heat to try, going to see Mac tools guy next.

Tony.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Thanks mate. They are 6mm stainless bolts with 6mm spline head. Spline rounded out, T45 tapped in and rounded out. May be a drilling job but will be hard. Would've been better if it had snapped off.

Tony.
I had to drill one mate, it was bloody hard, make sure you leave enough to get grips on once the head is off.