DIY 108 Split Rim refurb

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
BOGOF JIm. Buy one, get one free. I get 22 nights in Fla. for working Good Friday mate. It's all good to me.

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Well I finally got the centres from Bournes on Tue. I have to say it looks they've done a superb job. I haven't pulled the plastic film off yet as I'm not ready to use them and want to keep them nice but the area I did pull back looks superb :)

They made up for shutting up shop on that wasted trip by reducing the price from £160 to £120 which made a good price great :)

Will finally try and have a go at the rims at the weekend.

I might be dropping off a front panel for the treatment next. Blasted and primed in matt black for £30-£40 which also sounds very reasonable.

IMG_1420.JPG

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Rob.... i know of a few powder coaters and blasters in merthyr, and in cwmbran if any use to you.. only just read this post...

Al...

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I like the colour and will be doing mine similar ASAP!! Now we need pics of them on the car please!!! JIM

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
slightly off topic i know but heres the rims i refurbed on my supermoto a few years back and laced up and trued with stainless spokes... talc is your best friend too when polishing..

[/URL][/IMG]

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
slightly off topic i know but heres the rims i refurbed on my supermoto a few years back and laced up and trued with stainless spokes... talc is your best friend too when polishing..

[/URL][/IMG]

How do you use talc, never heard of it before

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
20 more loosened and tightened today. Just the front wheels left to do now. Going to start searching for local blasters and powder coaters, and deciding on colours.

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)

[/URL][/IMG]

Zed space saver Al? :D:D

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Rob.... i know of a few powder coaters and blasters in merthyr, and in cwmbran if any use to you.. only just read this post...

Al...
Yes, please let me know @handsomejackuk . Bournes appear to have done a nice, well priced job but it was a trek and inconvenient. I'd like to look into something more local. Cwmbran would probably be more convenient but happy to go to Merthyr if you think the better deal is there. Let me know please!

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
How do you use talc, never heard of it before
I had a quick google on this. It's used to remove fine swirl marks. I also saw someone discussing using flour to clean detailed engine components.

Another funny one is using baby oil to clean stainless steel cooker hobs - that comes from at least 2 kitchen fitters I know. I've known about that one for years but never tried it as it sounds like it would leave a sticky film.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I've found 4 powder coaters within about 15min drive of work. Going to check them out tomorrow but I guess most will be closed. Will be after hols maybe before I can get some prices.

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I've found 4 powder coaters within about 15min drive of work. Going to check them out tomorrow but I guess most will be closed. Will be after hols maybe before I can get some prices.

Tony.
I spent hours pouring over people's feedback before I went for Bournes. It was hard work trying to find someone reputable and reasonably priced. And you don't necessarily get quality by paying more. Bournes are long-standing general blasters/powder coaters and not upstart wheel refurbers more interested in volume for the $s . There's a load of them about. Anyway, good luck with the search. And don't forget the best checking can be done from internet reviews open or closed! Facebook, google maps, car forums. Just stick the name of the place into google plus 'review' and you should get hits for most places. I certainly did.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I spent hours pouring over people's feedback before I went for Bournes. It was hard work trying to find someone reputable and reasonably priced. And you don't necessarily get quality by paying more. Bournes are long-standing general blasters/powder coaters and not upstart wheel refurbers more interested in volume for the $s . There's a load of them about. Anyway, good luck with the search. And don't forget the best checking can be done from internet reviews open or closed! Facebook, google maps, car forums. Just stick the name of the place into google plus 'review' and you should get hits for most places. I certainly did.
Cheers for that Rob. One of these is on Great Northern Terrace.;)

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
BUGGER !! Started on the o/s/f wheel 17 came undone, relatively easily, left 3 for the time being. Went round to n/s and all 20 came undone, back to o/s and managed to get 2 more loose then the very last one rounded out. :(:(:( Tips please?

Tony.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Are they Torx bolts? If they are allens can only suggest tapping the next up size or even the nearest equivalent imperial size. Good luck mate

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks mate. They are 6mm stainless bolts with 6mm spline head. Spline rounded out, T45 tapped in and rounded out. May be a drilling job but will be hard. Would've been better if it had snapped off.

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Can you get a rounded bolt extractor socket on it? Smallest I've seen is 8mm though.

The Irwin bolt grips from Machine Mart have done well for me.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I have a set of those Rob but there's no space round the bolts unfortunately. I have to find something to knock into the rounded head, I just don't know what. Yet.

Tony.