Convertible top leak?

pacificnorthwestZ3

American Zeds
Model of Z
M44
Hey all,

I've done some searching on this forum and have found some posts that recommend applying Gummi Pflege to the rubber seals between the window and the convertible top. My leaks seem to be coming in from where the convertible top meets the window as there is (on purpose I hope) slashes in the rubber probably so the top can fold back easier? I had also seen recommendations to tighten the top and that there is two bolts to do so, but they did not state where these bolts are and how to tighten them correctly. Some water got in overnight while I had my cover on the car (damn cover wasn't waterproof) so now I am parking in the garage as it rains heavy at night here. If anyone has any specific recommendations it would be very helpful, I'm quite the noob on this car and don't know much about it yet! + anyone know the best way to get scratches out of the plastic window in the back? 😄

IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1153.jpgIMG_1151.jpg

pacificnorthwestZ3

American Zeds
Model of Z
M44
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'd preferably not want to buy new window seals.. the last I checked they were running about 500$ a set!!
That is complete madness so any DIY tips appreciated.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You can machine polish the rear window with the help and and able bodied assistant. Get them to hold a board wrapped in a towel on the inside of the rear window while you polish the outside, then swap places. I used this product on my Z3. There are several other products too.

Tony.

Last edited:

pacificnorthwestZ3

American Zeds
Model of Z
M44
You can machine polish the rear window with the help and and able bodied assistant. Get them to hold a board wrapped in a towel on the inside of the rear window while you polish the outside, then swap places. I used this product on my Z3. There are several other products too.

Tony.
Thank you Tony! ~ will look into these products and purchase accordingly.

brilie

Zorg Guru (IV)
Model of Z
2.8 roadster
Hi, if you look on the hooks that pull the roof down to the top of the windscreen,
there is a small bolt that you can loosen then screw the hook making it shorter therefore tightening the seal . Good luck !

pacificnorthwestZ3

American Zeds
Model of Z
M44
Hi, if you look on the hooks that pull the roof down to the top of the windscreen,
there is a small bolt that you can loosen then screw the hook making it shorter therefore tightening the seal . Good luck !
Thankyou! I will try this right now 😄

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Have you eliminated the `A' pillar seals as your leak source?

Joss

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Have you eliminated the `A' pillar seals as your leak source?
What's the best glue/sealant to fill your A (pillar) hole with? :D - actual genuine question though ;)

Last edited:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
What's the best glue/sealant to fill your A (pillar) hole with? :D - actual genuine question though ;)
Take the plug out, clean everything and just use good old fashion puncture repair glue from a bike repair kit to glue it back in.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
I use silicone rubber sealant but as @Nodzed says puncture repair glue works. You can check the plug by opening the hood and squeezing plug, if it oozes liquid or you can see a gap then that's your likely leak path.