Bognor Lean-to Project

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
Such a tempting offer … but … as @GazHyde said yesterday at Zedshed HQ……”oh God Mazza’s all loved up” and I think he is right… so I’ll pass your offer xx =)) =)) =))

Mazzal

Dedicated Member
Has he (Mazza) also told you that he is now into fishing - both sea and freshwater- has set a challenge to us to see who is the first to catch all the UK’s freshwater fish. He is also a good coach steward - on our (Crawley) trip to Wembley recently his was the only one of 10 coaches who got lost and was heading for Birmingham on the M40 before realising that they were heading in the wrong direction at Beaconsfield.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Finally it’s sitting in the sunshine on its 17” wheels
0C1C527C-88A9-4587-82BA-CE4FD1CA3C61.jpeg

and adjusted the handbrake at the same time …it helps if it doesn’t roll out into the road :whistle:

just the roof and bonnet to swap over and it will be getting close to getting back on the road.

KASPar

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 M52 1998

and adjusted the handbrake at the same time …it helps if it doesn’t roll out into the road :whistle:

just the roof and bonnet to swap over and it will be getting close to getting back on the road.
Think you were a bit slow getting to post the image, someones nicked the wheels off the blue one in the background o_O :whistle: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rlane

RichL
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
I like the "mad max" look @Mazza I'd leave it as it is :cool:
View attachment 306779

Who needs a roof?
........ it was nice meeting you on Sunday Malcolm.

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
1998 BMW Z3 Individual 1.9 M44 B19
@Matt Barnes
Matt, if you want to do some practice welding on it at any time you are welcome to come over and use it once the panels etc have been removed.
I don't know why I've only just clocked this! I was wading through your build adding bookmarks to mine !! 😆.. thank you mate, I do need to practice more but I've done my sills now..you have answered one question in that you used a vice for the trailing arm bushes, would a vice do for the beam and Diff bushes?.. I have a massive Woden vice and two smaller ones, so I'm hoping I can squeeze them in with a vice.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
I think Lee pushes the Diff bush in with a vice ???, but the beam bushes they use a press

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I think Lee pushes the Diff bush in with a vice ???, but the beam bushes they use a press
thanks mate...thinking about it I would need a press for the beam as the beam sits in the middle of the bush

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It's not what you use to press the Bush in, it's how far you press it. Easier with a Press though, more controllable.

Tony.

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
It's not what you use to press the Bush in, it's how far you press it. Easier with a Press though, more controllable.

Tony.
thanks Tony..... I don't want the nightmare situation of cracking the Diff plate. Thought slowly winding in a big vice, plus it's got wood lined jaws. With the subframe bushes I've seen people use the "cup and pull" method, pulling the bush into a receptacle (like s bearing puller) and using a threaded bar. The upshot is , I don't have a press ! 😆 :whistle:

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
thanks Tony..... I don't want the nightmare situation of cracking the Diff plate. Thought slowly winding in a big vice, plus it's got wood lined jaws. With the subframe bushes I've seen people use the "cup and pull" method, pulling the bush into a receptacle (like s bearing puller) and using a threaded bar. The upshot is , I don't have a press ! 😆 :whistle:
You could ask @Lee nicely if they could do it up at the Shed for you.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You might be closer to me Matt, I have a 20 ton press.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Guess not then Matt, in my head you're near Peterborough ;)

Tony.

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Yesterday was about lowering the engine out of the donor car … The only company that will come and take it away specifies no fluids in the car and engine and gearbox out … but will take it away …. and all for free so had to work out a way to drop the engine in a controlled manor =))

@Lee did offer his engine hoist but I had a cunning plan …..:whistle::whistle:

it started with putting the engine support beam in place and getting a couple of extra shackles…
0F9E0A45-33CD-47EE-B5FC-02BE76494EED.jpeg

First thing was to support the engine and remove the support beam…
549F8FD2-F85B-47B3-A22E-3E13AF9C0905.jpeg

which decided to hang on to the engine mount … so hit it with a piece of wood and it fell off…. not going underneath at this stage !!!:eek:
really good condition and now for sale =))=))
66D1E4C8-CD32-4069-90C4-27E6ACFEFD0E.jpeg

Now on to dropping the lump!!
The only problem is that the screw thread on the supports were shorter than the distance I had to drop it …. but cunning plan would sort overcome that.

got a trolley jack and some wood etc and supported the gearbox…
bit heath robinson but it worked…
FCAA7AF7-3B72-44F4-8F49-411BB19FD46B.jpeg

and undid the 4 bolts

lowered it down about half way and then began to do about five turns on each screw and it did start to drop … so all good, cunning plan working

then back underneath to lower the gearbox end
32B8D82E-8654-47E7-BB75-73F12AC88C54.jpeg

lowered it down to remove the jack… the tray is so I don’t damage the drive block work.
So back to the front….to continue lowering

0B537431-624A-4AD5-9F2F-312D8FD4447F.jpeg

Now came the awkward bit … I had to use a jack to support the engine, lengthen the chain and rewind the threaded bolts….. but it was at this stage I noticed some wiring was being stretched… so just cut it … easy option!!!

Continued to drop it until it was sitting on the floor …. then remove the wood from the gearbox and straightened it up on the tray and engine out and it didn’t fall on me … so a good result.
C08A0182-2257-41F7-AB80-296F1BEFDDFC.jpeg

so today was about stripping the boot lid and doors , ( already sold ) just to leave the roof and bonnet which are the bits I need.

Didn’t take too long…to have boot and doors off…

5579E9B8-5692-4135-A606-F646721BFD1E.jpeg

then after a bit of spot weld drilling … slam plate was off
B41FA4E6-3BCA-4E3D-AF5E-5E3767593331.jpeg

After that was removing engine bits that may be useful to someone .. put them on the for sale section after I have cleaned them.

Then final thing was to put a full cover over the shell …. not such an eyesore with a cover =))

Now just need a willing helper to get the bonnet and roof off……..

At least the sun was shining as it always does in Costa del Bognor =))

Attachments

Last edited: