1996 Z3 Hard Top Qn.

Joe Black

Good morning! I am new here, and hoping to get some good advice for buying my first ever Z 3! I am 61 years young, and I just survived a major heart attack and open heart surgery! Now I am gonna live a little and have some fun. I'm leaving my two whiney 35 year old kids behind, they'll have to sort themselves out from now on. Harsh? Yes, but it's time for me to live my life, and for them to start taking responsibility for themselves.

Life is short. Buy a Z 3 and boogie!

I have a question right off.. If I buy a hard 1996 Z3 hard top, can I remove it and ride topless? Is it a difficult switch? I prefer the hard top to a rag top... but some times want the sunshine on that perfect morning!

Thanks all!

Canada Joe

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Evening Joe and welcome on the forum.
Yep, with two people you can remove the hardtop so you don't damage the car and there are hoists that you can attach to your garage ceiling if you want to remove it on your own.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Hello and welcome from Truro. I've recently taken my hard top off my car and will enjoy open top motoring until November/December. As long as you have some assistance, either another pair of hands or a winch set up in your garage, it's an easy job to take off and put back on.

I always say its like having 2 different cars.

Joe Black

Thanks very much. I appreciate your reply and I also want to say, this is an amazing forum. I was a web master for 15 years, and I havent seen such a detailed and well designed forum. Thank you !

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
@Joe Black Welcome to the forum from Gloucestershire England. I've got a hard top but haven't fitted it to date so can comment ;) and to be honest probably wont ever fit it, nice to have the top down even in the cold as long as its dry, thats why BMW put heated seats and a good heater in the spec ;)=))

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.

For information about what to look for when buying a Z3 have a look at this https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-general-information-for-potential-buyers-by-mike-fishwick.15/. It is in the Z3 Wiki in the Articles area of this forum. Have a look around the Wiki also and you wil get an idea of the jobs people do on their cars.

There are a few other members in Canada. I am sure if you contact them they will tell you about the Z3 scene over there. Find them on the user map https://zroadster.org/usermap/.

Thanks for the site goes to @GazHyde who keeps things running smoothly.

ZTec

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from South Wales

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Hi from St Georges, Mb. NE OF Winnipeg. Where abouts in Canada are you?? As for the Z3 I would definitely recommend one. I have a 1.9 97 in Boston Green which I imported my car from the UK IN 2014 when the exchange rate was much more favourable. I also bought a HT before shipping as they were next to impossible to find in Canada and was also way cheaper. I have taken my top off by myself going through the interior but don't recommend it. Two people or a hoist works well! Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. There are a lot of Canadian members but very few post unlike me who is here daily several times a day! JIM

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the forum from West Cumbria, England. Got any pics of your Zed? We like a good pic or two ;)

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome:Hi and welcome from me too :p

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
:welcome: to Zroadster.org from Worcestershire. UK

Have you seen the film

Meet Joe Black
Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins
One of the best films I've ever seen.
But it's not for every one.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I appreciate your reply and I also want to say, this is an amazing forum. I was a web master for 15 years, and I havent seen such a detailed and well designed forum. Thank you !
Welcome on board Joe :)

Thank you for your kind comments about the site, I hope you enjoy your visits here as much as I enjoy running it!

Joe Black

Wow, what a warm reception! I think I'll start hanging out with you guys! I am in Salmon Arm B.C. in the Tappen Vallen. It a beautiful province for driving around. I used to have a motorbike, but that's too much for me now unfortunately. It's time to go to the four wheel ride!

I am shopping online and I think I have found a right car for me. It is in Japan, so, I am doing my due diligence, figuring out how to buy it safely, and get it here safely. The one I love is a 1.9 2006. I don't like the copper colour wheels, but I could change them. I love the tan leather seats. I'm still negotiating the price and shipping.

I will give you the juicy details later. For now, I'll keep you guessing. But for sure, I'm gonna need lots of advice when I get her home. I'll post the photos as soob as I make the deal.

God Bless!

(PS, my great Grand Dad cane to Toronto from Ireland as a stow away on a ship. He became a stone mason and laid the cobble stones in the downtown area of the time. I have a dream to drive around Ireland one day... in something breezy and fast! Cheers)

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I have a model A to be picked up in Falklands this summer but won't be in the Zed. I'll let you know when I'm coming through to check over your buy!! JIM

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Sorry @HT should have put in Falklands, BC Canada which is very close to Joe Black's abode. I was just excited to have another Canuck on board and hope he posts regularly!! JIM

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Welcome @Joe Black !
Both decisions, to buy a Zed and live your life are perfect!
We feel so good on this forum, no wonder because is well administrated!
Either you take a hard top Zed or not, you will need also the soft top, as is very comfortable in case of weather change.
Regarding the year of your choice , must be an error with 2006 (the youngest is 2002!)
Wish you luck and get one on your taste!
Dan

AGT1953

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3M
So,
You are a youngster then!
I bought my Z3M when I drifted through my 62'nd year.
Then I decided that it would be prudent to purchase the hard top for it.
To remove & refit is a simple 5 minute procedure, with the help of any passing stranger, or, at a push, the wife!

Live life to the fool - I do!

Andy,
Glasgow,
Scotland.