Window pivot clips

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Okay, I need some help guys and glas.... I haven't updated you all but I have now got my Z3, I'm in the middle of doing some work on it. At the Min I'm trying to replace the pivot clips for the windows as they are very slow at going up and down, and often stick. Im following a guide on YouTube, but a guy in the comments and section of the vid says there is no need to do all the steps.... So I have taken the pins out but can seem to get the actual plastic off... I don't want to brake anything so have taken a brake to ask for help of you guys. Any instructions that anybody can give me would be grate... I'll upload pics in the comments, cheers, pete

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Basically what I'm asking is, is there actually a way of doing it without taking the window seals and the window out?

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Are you talking about the white clips in the runner at the back of the glass? If you are they are a little tricky to get out. The clips are attached to the metal scissor mechanism by a ball joint, you have to rise the two apart, there is not much space to get a lever in and the mechanism will flex a little when doing this. IIRC you have the window about half way down and this still allows you access to those little suckers.

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Yeah the ones with the hair pin type springs, okay, cheers, so you sort of flex the metal arm away from you in order to get it out the ball joint?

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
And you can do this whilst the window is in and seals intact?

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Yeah the ones with the hair pin type springs, okay, cheers, so you sort of flex the metal arm away from you in order to get it out the ball joint?
Correct, flex the arm away, just make sure you are not putting any pressure on the glass and they will come out.

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Wow, my fingers hurt so much, I can't get them back in! Is it best to put the pin on the plastic bit before inserting? Or the plastic bit first then the pin?

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
I think I need another pair of hands to pushe the clip in while I prize the arm and the window apart, gonna wait until my dad finishes work I think! Haha

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
I bought a set of clips a few weeks ago and just haven't gotten around to doing this yet.
Does the window really regain its speed after this or are there more gremlins that need attention, like the motor itself?

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
speed is usually a lubrication issue.
I changed these because my windows rattled when fully up, whilst the roof was down.
If I lowered the windows a little the rattle went. Now that I have changed these clips the rattles have gone.
I lubricated all the sliders and moving parts while the door cards were off.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
It is quite difficult to get them back in, you feel you are about to reshape the whole window mechanism. A little patience and you will get them back in.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
When you lubricate the mechanism make sure you also lubricate the rubber at the front edge of the window. My car had been standing for a few months before I bought it and the windows went up and down very slowly and the motor seemed to be working too hard. Any way, I lubricated the rubber with some silicon spray and it was sorted.

The rubber was "holding" the glass. Now I regularly give it a squirt to keep it working well

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
^^ good call jack, the sliders do have a tendency to collapse over time though, more than people think.

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I found it was the bottom bit of rubber that had gone hard and gripped the glass when it was down, but a lot of silicone grease (clear ;) ) and its like new :)
Just a tip here but I used a small paint brush to grease in the runners at the bottom as my chubby fingers could not get in there.

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Just to update you all. I got there in the end, and they now work well! The passanger side window didn't actually work at all and the drivers side often got stuck when trying to use it. But there both working now. Once I had done one I found the other alot easier to do, grease up everything that was moving so they should last for a while. They don't go up and down as fast as I would like them to but at least they work now! Hah I'm thinking the motors are just old and need an overhaul.

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
When you lubricate the mechanism make sure you also lubricate the rubber at the front edge of the window. My car had been standing for a few months before I bought it and the windows went up and down very slowly and the motor seemed to be working too hard. Any way, I lubricated the rubber with some silicon spray and it was sorted.

The rubber was "holding" the glass. Now I regularly give it a squirt to keep it working well
I'll give that a go, hopefully it resolves my issue! It sounds like the same thing