WiFI Diagnostics

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
First one: Is there different information provided through the OBD2 in the driver's kick panel area compared with the 20 pin connector under the bonnet, or is exactly the same information AVAILABLE from both.
Yes the connectors are different, I believe the OBD2 port was initially provided for the US market emissions testing procedure, use the under bonnet connector to communicate with all the modules.

The diagram below shows the modules available in the D100 connector under the bonnet. The only modules available in the cars OBDII port are those connected to pin 17 in the diagram below.

Note: The lid on the D100 connector has a small circuit board which when fitted patches pin 17 of the D100 connector through to Pin 2 of the D100 connector, Pin 2 is of the D100 connector is directly connected to pin 7 of the in car OBDII port.

Edited @Cooper

Last edited:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Evening chaps. I plugged my wifi and 20 pin adapter into my daily work horse and works a treat, I also tried it with my dad's jag which also worked. But when I plug it into my 1998 M I get the power light on but will not connect. I believe I have the same issue as Dino. Wifi connects etc and the lights flicker when it try's to connect but no joy.

Did anyone find a fix for this?

I have a hunch that it could be an ECU firmware thing. Mabye myself and Dino have old ECU software.

Any thoughts guys?

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Yes mate I'm using the adapter. Late last night an update came out on the app store for Dashcommand, in the details it explained it now covers more engine types. Shall give this a go later and see if their is any change.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Although there has no activity on this thread for a while, I thought I would ask my question here rather than start a new.

I have been running the old BM Technics on a Windows laptop, which sadly is getting slower and slower and may not be long for this life.
I have now have a Macbook air, but don't know which options are available/suitable for using this on a '98 Z3 pre OBD II with 20 pin socket under bonnet.
Found this on a general search http://www.obdautodoctor.com/scantool-garage/obd-auto-doctor-now-available-mac-os-x/ .

Has anybody got any suggestions/recommendations please?