Which parts would you reccommend I replace?

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
So I've had my 2.2 Z3 for almost a year and other than filters/oil/bulbs I hadn't done much work on it. However last week I blew out my head gasket and after the head was stripped it turns out the root cause was my thermostat disintegrating, ie. there was a large chunk of the mechanism in the water jacket.

The total repairs are likely to be about £1000 and that could have been prevented had I replaced the thermostat, a easy and job to do.

So given that my Z3 is fast approaching 100,000 miles I'm planning to set aside some time and money and do a bit of a refresh. Are there any specific parts, that people would reccomend I replace or have serviced?

By this I mean anywhere on the car, engine, suspension, seals etc.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Shane, search on here for cooling system repairs and you'll find loads of info. At that mileage you would be well advised to change all of it. Water pump, t/stat, fan viscous hub, hoses and radiator. The car will be ready for another 100K then.

Tony.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
We did all mine after the cooling fan disintegrated on the Derbyshire cruise two years ago. Pulleys, belts, thermostats, couplings etc. Big worry off your mind once done.

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
We did all mine after the cooling fan disintegrated on the Derbyshire cruise two years ago. Pulleys, belts, thermostats, couplings etc. Big worry off your mind once done.
My head gasket disaster happened in Derbyshire too, maybe there's something about the county that Z3s don't like.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
My head gasket disaster happened in Derbyshire too, maybe there's something about the county that Z3s don't like.
Haha yep it's all the bloody cyclists!........oh I am one!

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I just noticed your location, you're only a few miles from me in Chesterfield. Do you know a good mechanic? I'm not very happy with mine.
Excellent, you'll be joining in us on some local meets then in the future?
I go over to Tonys at Torksey Lock, @t-tony on here sorry! He runs what we call the zed shed midlands Ltd :D. He helps a lot of the guys out on here with various repairs and replacement parts cos he's a nice man, not that @hard top would agree with that =)). He did all my coolant replacement parts with @Brian4 who was fancying an afternoon out playing. Maybe he could help you.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Mine happened just outside Brugge last summer. Got the car back home courtesy of the RAC and repaired it myself. I've also changed the radiator, waterpump, all the belts and pulley's.

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
Excellent, you'll be joining in us on some local meets then in the future?
I go over to Tonys at Torksey Lock, @t-tony on here sorry! He runs what we call the zed shed midlands Ltd :D. He helps a lot of the guys out on here with various repairs and replacement parts cos he's a nice man, not that @hard top would agree with that =)). He did all my coolant replacement parts with @Brian4 who was fancying an afternoon out playing. Maybe he could help you.
Well if tony is willing to help me out I'd really appreciate it. My poor little car was rather abused in a previous life. She needs all the help she can get.

And I'd love to join up with the meets, I've been trying to join a car club since I moved over here from NI. Where/When is the next one?

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
Mine happened just outside Brugge last summer. Got the car back home courtesy of the RAC and repaired it myself. I've also changed the radiator, waterpump, all the belts and pulley's.
I bet that somewhat spolied the holiday. Mine gave up on me as I was commuting to work, temp guage started climbing on me out of nowhere and suddenly there was steam everywhere. Luckily I keep tools with and I was able to get a set of vice grips on the hose long enough to get it to the mechanics. Unfortunately that mechanic has had my car for 2 weeks and doesn't seem to be making a lot of progress.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Well if tony is willing to help me out I'd really appreciate it. My poor little car was rather abused in a previous life. She needs all the help she can get.

And I'd love to join up with the meets, I've been trying to join a car club since I moved over here from NI. Where/When is the next one?
Check out the "events page". Everything is listed there and there will be more to come this season yet.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
You may also consider a full suspension refresh as most of it will probably be well and truly past its best

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
When you have your water works sorted it would be well worth looking to replace some suspension parts. Shock absorbers and bushes are getting very tred by the time they have done 100k miles. Plenty of options and opinions on here, from OEM standard refresh, through coilovers and polybushes. Whichever route you choose it transforms the ride and handling. Have a chat about it with @Grumps when you meet up. He had a suspension overhaul fairly recently

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I did i did. Zed shed south dealt with that for me :). Rear axle out, a full bush replacement and a new set of shocks. Drives like a different car now.
We recently met at Noble motor sportat Chesterfield and had a morning on the rolling road. I'm pretty sure we will be doing that again at some point.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Have you considered an engine swap for a good second hand one - engines of that era are very cheap.

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
Have you considered an engine swap for a good second hand one - engines of that era are very cheap.
My experience with engine swaps in the past has been very hit and miss. "Worked perfectly when removed" is often a load of nonsense. If you know a salvage yard where I can get some high quality parts though, I'd be interested in checking it out.

ShaneM

British Zeds
Model of Z
2001 Z3 2.2 Widebody
When you have your water works sorted it would be well worth looking to replace some suspension parts. Shock absorbers and bushes are getting very tred by the time they have done 100k miles. Plenty of options and opinions on here, from OEM standard refresh, through coilovers and polybushes. Whichever route you choose it transforms the ride and handling. Have a chat about it with @Grumps when you meet up. He had a suspension overhaul fairly recently
I've been strongly considering a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit, and Tony has messaged me with some details regarding their get togethers so I think I'll be giving it soe more thought in the near future.

Consensus seems to be to focus on the cooling system and the suspension set up then.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
My experience with engine swaps in the past has been very hit and miss. "Worked perfectly when removed" is often a load of nonsense. If you know a salvage yard where I can get some high quality parts though, I'd be interested in checking it out.
We have some great breakers on here, worth posting a wanted thread as you might find one pre-break and still driving

These 6cyc engines are very relatable usually so I’d consider getting a good one and doing all the bits like cooling and the CCV system before dropping it in.
I’m no mechanic though so probably think it’s easier said than done!

@mrscalex did and documented a 2.2 swap on here recently (in exceptional detail)