What have you bought for your Zed this week?

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
A new near side wing/door mirror! Cost a fortune and didn’t even come with the glass mirror! ….still I can look at my left hump again!😊

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
Oh yes I almost forgot and a drivers door window regulator so I can do the old up down thing with the window again👍🏼😁

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Salmon relays bought and fitted today. Next job getting a wheel off! Thought I'd have a look at one of the rear calipers to see how much cleaning they'll need before painting, but it's seized on the hub. So tomorrow is getting wheels off for a start. I always put some copper grease on the surface before fitting, pity the previous owner didn't!View attachment 305755
Depends on where you put the grease. I spent many years as a commercial tyre fitter, and had to take sledge-hammers to lorry wheels far too often. You'd be better off running a flapwheel in the bore of the wheel to shift any corrosion from there, and then give give the centre of the hub a good go with a wire brush till that's clean, then put the grease around the spigot part of the hub, never on the mating face where the wheel and hub meet. Putting grease on the mating faces will reduce the friction in there, and I've seen the results of wheels falling off once (or twice) too often.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Only ever put grease on the hub spigot, after it's been cleaned. Nothing on the flat mating surfaces, not even thick paint.

Tony.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
I just put a smear on and wipe over with a cloth, never had a problem in the last 58 years, but I do check my wheels regularly. Never had a wheel stuck on, but I've had bolts that wouldn't budge quite a few times after they were overtightened by a tyre fitter.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Just a couple of points worth mentioning, 'friction' occurs when two surfaces move in relation to each other. If two objects are fixed together, like a wheel and a hub for example, there is no friction. Secondly, when dissimilar metals like aluminium and steel are cleanly fitted together in a dry environment this is not normally a problem. However, if an electrolyte like dirty or more especially salty water is present then this can result in galvanic corrosion. This is what causes alloy wheels to become 'stuck' on the hub. A barrier such as a film of grease helps prevent the reaction known as galvanic corrosion.

elky

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Planning a significant refresh with valve cover+vanos anti-rattle with my upcoming oil change and new sparks/coils :hungry:
Then I will do a dyno to see out of curiosity how many horses I managed to salvage🤞

Forgot to mention that I am at 205000km right now that is why I thought I might do a VANOS refresh... 🫠
1719332579450.jpeg

Last edited:

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Pflege. 'Fleeger'. I never liked german at school, mainly because my teacher used to slap me round the head every time I didn't pronounce words with an 'umlaut' correctly. :confused:

KASPar

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 M52 1998
Pflege. 'Fleeger'. I never liked german at school, mainly because my teacher used to slap me round the head every time I didn't pronounce words with an 'umlaut' correctly. :confused:
tsk, youngsters. We got the blackboard eraser, ruler thrown at us middle of forehead and middle knuckle down the back of the head. Happy days, character building :whistle: o_O o_O

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
German is a phoentic language.

Say 'flayger' with a geordie accent ie without pronouncing the Y and you'll be almost there.

Or maybe it's my welsh/geordie/german accent makes me say it wrong.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Yep all those and the cane many times in my case. Wonder why I became a teacher a very very long time ago! :p

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Go to germany and ask for a "gummi fleeger" and you'll likely get one of these.

Screenshot_20240626-142856_Gallery.jpg

As in "Rubber Flyer". (Flieger)

Having asked my daughter, a real german, she even pronounces the P in pflege.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
OR, you could ask for this. Simpler, safer and slightly cheaper.
20240626_143748.jpg

Tony.