Value of Z3s

One Spanner Frank

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto
I was looking at an advert for a Jaguar XK something or other and looked up the sellers location on RAC routes. On the right hand side of the screen it said 'value your vehicle. Enter your registration here' I did and it then asked me the mileage, which I entered. 85,000 miles. There was a short pause and I found that my immaculate 1997 2.8l automatic Z3 roadster was worth between £1000 and £1800. Wow.
I think that the RAC use 'I Buy Any Car' for valuations. Fancy a Z3 being worth as much as that!

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Throw away the book when valuing Z3's its all about how much TLC they have had

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
It only shows that zeds are under estimated for the moment....which is good if you intend to keep you zed for another couple of years.
The value will go up quickly when people realise what they are missing out on

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
If you keep tabs on Auto Trader and several other car sites you will see that M43's 4 pots are holding around 1 to 2k. A good one can be up to 2.5k. When you look at M52's and M54's 6 pots.. They start if you are lucky around 2k and well.. There is a good 2.8 M52 with 55k miles FSH going for 8k at the moment... So take your choice.. If you want a great looked after one.. The value is a lot higher. I had my M52 1999 2.0 and the insurance paid out £3.4k when she was written off.

Tracy Dee

Zorg Guru (III)
The M44 Massive
I set a budget of up to 2.5k for a 1.9 model as it suited my needs for insurance and running costs as it would be a third car. Although there are plenty around up to this price and look good in the adverts seeing them in the flesh or metal so to speak is an entirely different matter.
Maybe I was just unlucky looking at about 10 Zeds within 70 mile radius in all directions.
All I wanted was a car under under 90 k with a service history and decent in all respects.
OMG the ones I looked at were poor very poor at these prices no disrespect to anyone but those were my findings.
Misleading adverts no history when saying it had a history immaculate cars when clearly not but looked good in the photos.
After many miles and searching and disappointment s nearly gave up but got lucky on the last car which is the one I have now which is 18 years old 74k miles good condition service history on my Max budget.
Yes needs couple of things doing but nothing major classics will need a bit of TLC from time to time but its usable and without any issues in fact off to work later in the rain.
Moral might be perseverance or buy from an enthusiast from places like here.
Happy Zedding.

Last edited:

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Don't also forget that you are currently looking at prices of a 2 seater convertible sports car and it's October. The prices will always be lower this time of year. I managed to pick up my M44 for £1500 because it needed a new door and the roof was a bit discoloured. I've already replaced the door for a massive £100. Currently investigating roof options but I fully expect my car to be worth a minimum of 2k come spring time. It's got 90k on the clock, 3 owners and every stamp in the book. Also... she's about to have her suspension all returned to standard tomorrow with original fit Sachs shocks on the back to replace the knackered one.

If you have a nice Z3, the way the car market is going at the moment I think they are a worthwhile investment. Anything pre emissions tax and without lots of electronics that is even remotely sporty / enthusiast will raise in value in the near future.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
As Paul Rice says you can throw the book away. Each Zed is valued on its on merits or not as the case may be. A Zed is worth whatever someone is willing to pay dependant on condition miles etc etc etc. I would like to think if I sold mine it would make £3000-3500. It owes me quite a bit more than that but I don't care a monkeys. It's not for sale and never will be.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
There are two pertinent phrases for this...

"Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it." & "A fool and his money is easily parted".

If someone truly wants to spend 8k on a car in great condition, when they can find the same car in less good condition for 2-3k, then that's their decision. They could buy the cheaper car and spend a couple of grand and then use the remainder to drive the thing rather than ending up sticking it in a garage because "it will be worth a fortune in a few years time".

There are a few Z3's (and I'm talking about non-///M models) which are worth decent money, but I can't think of any reason why I would want to spend more than £5k. That £5k can buy a pretty decent Z3!.

People need to stop being starry eyed when they see these overpriced examples, they are just that.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
I love the Z3 Roadster with a passion, but it has to be said this was a mass produced car (and this was the reason they made them), 15,000 were produced alone within the first year, so until the numbers available drastically reduce the price will take years to start to rise one other factor is the MPG the market out there dictates the price and not many people see a gas guzzler as a sound investment. the M's are a different story.. You will always pay a premium for a low mileage car but this is for every car not just the Z3.

Jon Jeffryes

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I bought at the top end of the market....firstly because it was from a dealer with a full service history, lowish miles and only a couple of previous owners, secondly it was the car I wanted, with the specification I wanted and in the colour I wanted...so I was happy to pay the premium.

It's given me two European tours and 6000 happy summer miles since purchased in July. It's also cost c.£1000 plus goodness knows how many hours to get it to the condition it is now in.

To me, that's money well spent with the expense diluted by every enjoyable mile passed. It's resale value is probably £1500 less than my total expenditure (providing I sell in the spring/summer) ...oh and it's not for sale btw. Will it ever be worth more than it has cost me...no, not in pure cash terms, but smiles per £ spent makes it well worth the money to me....and I don't care about the fuel consumption - you can buy a Smart car if you want good petrol mpg!

Kevlaar

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
how much is the smile on your face worth when driving your zed in the sunshine with the roof down and how many do you see on the road these days?to me thats what its about.didnt buy mine to sell,have it to enjoy and enjoy it i will......

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
how much is the smile on your face worth when driving your zed in the sunshine with the roof down and how many do you see on the road these days?to me thats what its about.didnt buy mine to sell,have it to enjoy and enjoy it i will......
Absolutely right! :thumbsup:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Totally agree with your sentiments :thumbsup:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
All you have to do is look at the Zed when not driving it and it puts a smile on your face, particularly when it's just been cleaned!:)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I wish you lot would shut up. . . . . . I'm missing mine ! :(:(:(

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
I wish you lot would shut up. . . . . . I'm missing mine ! :(:(:(.
You've still got time to return to the Zed3 fold Tony......it's not too late :D

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
No Dave . . . . you know quite well I meant that I'm missing my Z4. :) By the way we had the top down every where we went today . . . . . AGAIN. =))=))

Tony.

ps. You could probably fry an egg on my forehead though ! Ouch.