How To Guide Simple remote locking fix

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi, I just joined and thought it would be worth passing on the knowledge I eventually found online somewhere (I thought it was here but can't find it now). The remote was not working on my Z3 key so all I did was:

- Turn the iginition key to position 1, turn off within 5 seconds and take the keys out of the ignition.
- Hold down the unlock button on the key.
- Keeping it held, press the lock button three times with 2 second gaps in between.

The car's locking then sprung into life.

Feel free to delete this topic if the information is elsewhere on here.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Any info like that is useful Nick. If you edit the post title by adding "How to" at the beginning it will be easier for people to find searching any advice.

Tony.

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Any info like that is useful Nick. If you edit the post title by adding "How to" at the beginning it will be easier for people to find searching any advice.

Tony.
Thanks Tony. I realised that tag would have been useful after posting but tried to edit the title and it won't let me. I can only edit the main body of the post.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Look for box saying thread tools mate.

Tony.

eminem94

Just curious do you keep the keys in the ignition the whole time while pressing the buttons?

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Just curious do you keep the keys in the ignition the whole time while pressing the buttons?
No. You have to take them out within five seconds and then do the button pressing straight after. It may work with them in though as well. I'd try both ways before giving up!

eminem94

No. You have to take them out within five seconds and then do the button pressing straight after.
Tried that as well, but just wasn't working. Both of my keys turn the car on but only one can unlock it remotely. they both used to be able to unlock remotely just a couple weeks ago.

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Tried that as well, but just wasn't working. Both of my keys turn the car on but only one can unlock it remotely. they both used to be able to unlock remotely just a couple weeks ago.
Does the red LED light up on the key when you press buttons? Have you changed the battery to make sure it's not that?

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
Good reminder. Also worth noting that if you have any spare keys, they also have to be synched in a similar way within a certain time of the first key being sync'd. I think it's 30 seconds but not certain. Within thirty seconds worked for my second key tho.