Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
That is a great job! From a novice and maybe a stupid question - how did you avoid creating a seam at the top masked area?

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
That is a great job! From a novice and maybe a stupid question - how did you avoid creating a seam at the top masked area?
Thanks pal, its a technique that we use where we fold the tape back on its self by about 3mm so the edge can't stick, when you taint against it it blows up and the paint edge feathers out, all it needs is a light machine polish and it completely vanishes
This is the edge on the body line at the top
boot10.jpg

Not yet polished
boot9.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Last edited:

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Thanks pal, its a technique that we use where we fold the tape back on its self by about 3mm so the edge can't stick, when you taint against it it blows up and the paint edge feathers out, all it needs is a light machine polish and it completely vanishes
This is the edge on the body line at the top
View attachment 62948
Not yet polished
View attachment 62949
Complete amateur input here. But this photo gives you some idea of the effect as it's how I replicated the original look on my front panel.

IMG_3118.JPG

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I am genuinely in awe of your paint job and skills @Sean d .

When my 2.2 project is finished I'm taking your advice and will start experimenting with a proper gun.

The advice I got from my local trade paint supplies was to get a £60 low pressure gun. Apparently it's what the mobile guys and small body shops use. Realistically that's the level I need to aim for, no point trying to replicate what you do.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I am genuinely in awe of your paint job and skills @Sean d .

When my 2.2 project is finished I'm taking your advice and will start experimenting with a proper gun.

The advice I got from my local trade paint supplies was to get a £60 low pressure gun. Apparently it's what the mobile guys and small body shops use. Realistically that's the level I need to aim for, no point trying to replicate what you do.
You really don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent finish mate.