Sean d progress thread

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Good luck with the small stuff still to do - you are getting very close to scoping for a 3.0?
I was having a conversation with my wife today and she adores this Z so it won't be happening to soon, I agreed to wait until I can get my hands on my pension when I turn 55, so it might be a 4 year wait, unless the right car comes along of course ;):D

Reactions: Lee

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
@Sean d. I would seriously consider a transplant over a replacement. Your car is looking superb in and out and all the hard work and money won't be re-paid if you sold it. A 2.8 with a M50 conversion would be easier to find and produce the same power as a 3.0 plus you'd have the bonus of saying.......yep I did that!

Last edited:

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Okay @Sean d 1. It would have to be a gift cuz I am retired, old, etc!
2. May not be around in four years (see point 1)
3. Don't blame you and Mrs d for wanting to keep it, have a feeling she'll inherit the car once you find that golden egg 3.0
4. Wish I had your talents and foresight!!
5. Keep on going till this car is perfect, not much further to go now!
JIM

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
@Sean d. I would seriously consider a transplant over a replacement. Your car is looking superb in and out and all the hard work and money won't be re-paid if you sold it. A 2.8 with a M50 conversion would be easier to find and produce the same power as a 3.0 plus you'd have the bonus of saying.......yep I did that!
I missed your post pal. just seen it, yes a 3.0 implant is something I am considering, but I would also have to do the diff as well, not sure I have the balls to do it though.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Splt on there Dave, I was thinking the same last night and then it got late ...........:)

Tony.

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Sean, it's a pleasure to see the professional and careful way your Zed is transformed!
Only the passion can change the labour into pleasure.:thumbsup:
Dan

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
A better option may be to find a tatty 3.0 which a decent engine and swap over all of your bits as it is much easier than an engine transplant.
That is probably a better option and one I have considered, I would even use a cat D 3.0l

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
That is probably a better option and one I have considered, I would even use a cat D 3.0l
A good way to save a few quid going down the cat D route mate. I can see a plan being hatched! :D

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
That one that just sold on eBay a few days ago would have been perfect, just under 2K. You probably know how easy it is to change all the panels and it is loads of fun swapping all of you bit over. You would need to paint the windscreen surround and bit between the boot and roof though but that will be easy for a man of your talent.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I missed your post pal. just seen it, yes a 3.0 implant is something I am considering, but I would also have to do the diff as well, not sure I have the balls to do it though.
Willing to help make that transplant happen :) The mounts for the engine and gearbox are the same. It will be literally swap everything over.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Willing to help make that transplant happen :) The mounts for the engine and gearbox are the same. It will be literally swap everything over.
Thats great thanks, @Lee , would I also need an ECU and I would also want to put a slip diff in,

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Thats great thanks, @Lee , would I also need an ECU and I would also want to put a slip diff in,
Yeah, and if you had a donor car that would be very easy to do.

Worth checking you might already have a Torsen LSD the wife's 2.2 has. Check using your Vin number. Then again I'm not sure what drive shafts and prop sizes are used on the 2.0 never played with one.

Gundun

Zorg Legend
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Line Individual
If you switch over to a Haltech you might squeeze out some little more juice from it...just saying...:whistle:

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Yeah, and if you had a donor car that would be very easy to do.

Worth checking you might already have a Torsen LSD the wife's 2.2 has. Check using your Vin number. Then again I'm not sure what drive shafts and prop sizes are used on the 2.0 never played with one.
Already checked the diff, what range of BMWs do I have for a diff and engine @Lee

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
@Lee, would something like this be too ambitious 1998 Bmw m3 3.2 evo with 6 speed Manuel gearbox 88000 miles