S reg z3

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It denotes the year of first registration Coops.

Tony.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Out of curiosity, what does S reg and W reg and such mean? We don't have that here in Australia. Cheers,
@Cooper it denotes the year of manufacturer. A reg being 1983 and so on less O, U, Q & Z. We went from having the letter at the end until we got through the alphabet then the reg started with the letter. It's now changed to a different type of reg as we ran out a few years ago. S reg is a 1998 and W is 2002 if my numbers are right.

Woolfi

The M44 Massive
It's a system of dating the year of first registration of vehicles.
S equals first registered in the year of April 1998 to April 1999 and so on through T V W X and Y
The system now uses April to September this year as 15 September to April will be 65. Next year from April will be 16 and from September will be 66. The prefix numbers in the next decade will be 2 and 7.
Think that I have explained it correctly Anyone please correct me if this is not right
Woolfi

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
@Cooper it denotes the year of manufacturer. A reg being 1983 and so on less O, U, Q & Z. We went from having the letter at the end until we got through the alphabet then the reg started with the letter. It's now changed to a different type of reg as we ran out a few years ago. S reg is a 1998 and W is 2002 if my numbers are right.
Nearly Andy, W was 2000 along with X, they both had only 6 months and finally Y was the first 6 months of 2001. In September 2001 the first of the new registration showing the new 51 for 2001. 02 came in January 2002 and so on.

Tony.

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Nearly Andy, W was 2000 along with X, they both had only 6 months and finally Y was the first 6 months of 2001. In September 2001 the first of the new registration showing the new 51 for 2001. 02 came in January 2002 and so on.

Tony.
I got an "O" Level grade "U" in maths at school, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:whistle:=))

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I believe that the year of registration denotes not the year of mfg. as some vehicles take more time to sell than others also taking into account for time sitting waiting to be shipped to dealers. That's how I understand it anyway. But what happens if a car with a build date of say Dec 96 doesn't get sold until April 98 for first registration?? That part I don't know, would the dealer then register the car prior to the year change or ?? Jim

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
When I was in the car trade in the early 2000's we imported cars from Cyprus and Malta amungst others. (Not Japan) All countries that drive on the left for obvious reasons. Most of the cars we purchased were years old but never been registered in there respective countries. We were buying Alfa 147 and 156 out of Cyprus that were 3 and 4 years old but we're being registered by us in the UK on the present plates. If a customer had to go to the dealers with a fault they were told the car had ran out of Warranty even if it had only been registered the week before. Ford were the only manufacturer that would start the warranty from date of registration. We had One alfa 147 in flat red that was so pink from standing in the Cypriot sun so long we had to have it painted before putting it on sale. I kid you not!

Last edited:

andyglym

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
When I was in the car trade in the early 2000's we imported cars from Cyprus and Malta amungst others. (Not Japan) All countries that drive on the left for obvious reasons. Most of the cars we purchased were years old but never been registered in there respective countries. We were buying Alfa 147 and 156 out of Cyprus that were 3 and 4 years old but we're being registered by us in the UK on the present plates. If a customer had to go to the dealers with a fault they were told the car had ran out of Warranty even if it had only been registered the week before. Ford were the only manufacturer that would start the warranty from date of registration. We had One alfa 147 in flat red was that so pink from standing in the Cypriot sun so long we had to have it painted before putting it on sale. I kid you not!
That's a shocker mate. I'd need my angry trousers if I was one of those poor punters:mad:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I believe that the year of registration denotes not the year of mfg. as some vehicles take more time to sell than others also taking into account for time sitting waiting to be shipped to dealers. That's how I understand it anyway. But what happens if a car with a build date of say Dec 96 doesn't get sold until April 98 for first registration?? That part I don't know, would the dealer then register the car prior to the year change or ?? Jim
All M.OT. Regulations apply from date of first use (registration in the UK) regardless of the age of the car.. As far as kit cars go, the regulations apply as if it was the original "donor" car being tested for emissions reasons.

Tony.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
That's a shocker mate. I'd need my angry trousers if I was one of those poor punters:mad:
Yep and we had a fair few! All completely legal. The firm I worked for went bust 18 months ago and have been bought out by a well known name in the business. The importing of cars has all but dried up now days due to exchange rates being to strong.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
There was a guy not far out of Lincoln 20 years ago importing as many Japanese cars and people carriers as he could. Nearly every Eunos came with a hardtop which he removed and then sold them back to the punters for a bit more profit.;)

Tony.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
There was a guy not far out of Lincoln 20 years ago importing as many Japanese cars and people carriers as he could. Nearly every Eunos came with a hardtop which he removed and then sold them back to the punters for a bit more profit.;)

Tony.
Now that's good business! We never touched the jap market. Wouldn't even entertain them in px unless we could get them under written. All ours were brand new and the jap market at that time was 10 years old if I remember rightly before they could be realised into other markets.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yes you're right mate, all 10 years old. he did do very well, especially as they didn't import a diesel Previa at that time. The imports were called a different name but he could sell as many as he could get also the Nissan equivalents. But like all good things it came to an end.

Tony.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
All M.OT. Regulations apply from date of first use (registration in the UK) regardless of the age of the car.. As far as kit cars go, the regulations apply as if it was the original "donor" car being tested for emissions reasons.

Tony.
So as Grum is saying it would have been possible if a dealer didn't sell a 96 till 98 for it to be first registered as a 98?? Is that correct? JIM

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Basically, yes Jim it is. All over the country, usually near to the motorways you could see fields of new unregistered cars, not so common these days but some are out there still. Dealers register cars just to get sales figures up then sell these at a big discount as "pre- registered" cars. The biggest "tell" is to look at the tyres on a "new" car because they will almost certainly have their original tyres still fitted which are date marked and that's the giveaway.;)

Tony.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Yes you're right mate, all 10 years old. he did do very well, especially as they didn't import a diesel Previa at that time. The imports were called a different name but he could sell as many as he could get also the Nissan equivalents. But like all good things it came to an end.

Tony.
Jue had a couple of the jap imported cars when they were the hype. A mitsubushi Pajero 2.8 diesel auto (Shogun) and a Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4 diesel auto (four runner). They were good cars and always came better specced than the UK equivalents. Like you say Tony, the market fell out of love and it died it's death a few years ago now.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Thanks guys I find that interesting. So technically someone that buys a used car later on can be buying an older model than they think so everyone should be checking the build certificate affixed at the factory when it was born?? JIM

Woolfi

The M44 Massive
Welcome from Canada! I'm surprised no one has also welcomed you to the wisest of zedders the M44 Massive. Exclusive to only members wise enough to have purchased the 1900- 4 cyl engine. @GazHyde would you please do the honour of welcoming our newest prestigious member? JIM

Thanks for your welcome!
What's so special about my motor?
Woolfi