Oil leakage

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Afternoon all. Had a progressive oil leak for the past week or so. Got under the car today and gave the oil a good cleaning. Left it an hour or so and this is where I think the oil leak is. .. sorry for crap photo and probably completely newbie question but where and what is this haha

Once again thanks very much for any help given and sorry for the newbie ness haha

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Afternoon all. Had a progressive oil leak for the past week or so. Got under the car today and gave the oil a good cleaning. Left it an hour or so and this is where I think the oil leak is. .. sorry for crap photo and probably completely newbie question but where and what is this haha

Once again thanks very much for any help given and sorry for the newbie ness haha
I'm no mechanic but could it be something as simple as the 'o'ring on the oil filter housing cap ?
Oil,like water has a habit of showing it's self away from the source of the leak ?

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
If it's the filter cap O ring then you should be able to see it leaking quite easily by wiping around and running engine.
I would suggest it is more likely to be the the filter housing to block joint (which becomes brittle with age) is more difficult to see where leak is actually from.
Which model do you actually have? I recall @Cooper recently re-jointed his on a 6 pot and I have some pics of my 4 pot that may help?

Edit https://zroadster.org/threads/help-plz-torque-for-oil-filter-housing-bolts.8352/

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
If you need some help with the oil leak I can give you the procedure for changing the oil housing gasket.

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Cheers for the help guys it's the 1.9 4 cylinder I'm sure. The last time I changed an oil filter it was under the engine and a simple screw off and screw the new one on haha. Bmw engines are new to me. I'll check out that link @jonco cheers

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Derek, I have the 6 cylinder so of little use to you sorry! I didn't know you had the 4 pot. Nevertheless I will upload the file here for you to grab as it might give you some idea what you are in for! This is for the oil filter housing gasket [the whole part that attaches the oil filter part to the block]]

Attachments

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
@jonco i tried that site and entered the last 7 of my VIN and it doesn't show me anything?

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
@jonco i tried that site and entered the last 7 of my VIN and it doesn't show me anything?
It should do - works for everything else - if you want to pm me your VIN - I'll have a look for you. It's normally 2 capital alpha followed by 5 numeric.

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Small update. Had the car in the garage again yesterday to look for the leak. After taking out a few items in the bay and spending about 2 hours cleaning oil from everything I found the leak.
Oil filter housing has a big gap at the top. Now I'm not sure if it should look metal on metal or if you should be able to see the gasket? Away down south with work next week so the cars parked up untill next weekend :(

Z

zedonist

Sorry I am late to this but normally it is either Gasket number 6 or the large o ring on the filter screw on lid, if however the screw on lid is not sealed correctly, it could have the wrong size filter in it.
image.jpg

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Replace number 5 and 6 and your problem is likely to be resolved. Good luck and keep us posted. Cheers.

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
So as this seems like quite a big job to do I thought I'd get a price for someone else to do it. Been quoted £150

But the whole point in me buying the car was to get my hands dirty and learn my way about the car

So next weekend my job will be to replace the gaskets and do a full oil change haha.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good for you mate. Just taken your time.:)

Tony.

Derek

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Yeah I will do @t-tony will have a helping hand with me haha. Is there not a z3 haynes? Can't find one anywhere