New Seats, Leaking Roof, Strange Wire

waynerp

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi All.
OK i have been having another look at the leak issue, as today has been a perfect day for it!!!
The water is flowing in at quite a rate at the bottom of both door seals.
I have cleared out the hole at the top of the a pillar and run water through it and it is clear. There is no water coming in from the top window seals and the front of the roof is sound. So i noticed that the seals running down the side of the windscreen are coming away in some places.
So can this be where the water is coming in? The seals look ok so i guess i could re seal them
Any ideas what sealant i need to seal them back on?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Hi All.
OK i have been having another look at the leak issue, as today has been a perfect day for it!!!
The water is flowing in at quite a rate at the bottom of both door seals.
I have cleared out the hole at the top of the a pillar and run water through it and it is clear. There is no water coming in from the top window seals and the front of the roof is sound. So i noticed that the seals running down the side of the windscreen are coming away in some places.
So can this be where the water is coming in? The seals look ok so i guess i could re seal them
Any ideas what sealant i need to seal them back on?

@waynerp saw on Wheeler Dealers some time back a similar issue with another car. Ed China "packed out" the door seal with small bore rubber tubing to give the seal back it's rigidity, as it were. Not sure if this may help?

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
We had a similar leak on ours and it was from the plastic/foam membrane behind the door card which wasn't sealed all the way round so water ran as expected down the window past the seal and into the door. Seems odd I know but since resealing the membrane no more water in the car.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
We had a similar leak on ours and it was from the plastic/foam membrane behind the door card which wasn't sealed all the way round so water ran as expected down the window past the seal and into the door. Seems odd I know but since resealing the membrane no more water in the car.

That's interesting to know, thanks.

waynerp

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Will have to check that. Ive had my door cards off and dont recall seeing a rubber seal

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Will have to check that. Ive had my door cards off and dont recall seeing a rubber seal
I think the earlier cars had a plastic liner and the later ones had foam. They are stuck down with black butyl but I just used some black silicone sealant and held it in place until it had cured a bit.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Hi All.
So i noticed that the seals running down the side of the windscreen are coming away in some places.

I used this 3M double sided tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00518NDBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Getting it onto the A-pillar is a bit awkward. Mine was only a small section and with yours being more detached it will probably be better for access.