My Custom Hand Brake

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Hi all! If anybody has ever needed a new wooden hand brake cover for their zed because theirs is all cracked... well, then you will know the struggle of trying to find one, because, I simply could not find one at all.

So I decided to make one yesterday afternoon, and it turned out really well. I'm just in the process of layering the yacht varnish now. I will fit it in a couple of days. I managed to get it so I wont need any adhesive to fit it. Its perfectly snug... Although I will probably put a bit on just for the sake of it.

I just used basic hand tools, a piece of oak and my ancient lathe that was originally my great grandfathers. I wont bore you with too much text, so here are some pictures....

Oh and if anybody would like one, I would be more than happy to make one for you. Obviously at a price. (If this breaks any forum rules moderators, then please remove this last bit) :)

so here is what i started with, just a blank that i turned about a year ago.

This is the original, cracked all the way along and multiple times around it. Its not actually real Burl, Its sort of like MDF and then has a burl effect coating.
[/IMG]

Its Shandy, don't worry, just enough to steady the hand :beer

oh and my dad, taking over as usual hah

tense moments as im drilling out the hole for the shaft. very easy on a lathe though.

and there you go, parted and with the angle cut. just needs sanding a shaping a bit.

got the shape/ size spot on, i didnt bother with the finger grooves, would have taken me a couple of more hours and i simply don't think it needs it. It's not like im doing hand brake turns, so that grip is not necessary.

And there she is. I'll post a photo of it on the car soon, it will look grate alongside the oak steering wheel and gear knob :D

Thanks for looking, Pete :coolsteer)

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
Cheers, I must say, I'm rather impressed with it.

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8
nice. im thinking of swapping my walnut trim for birds eye maple.
Sounds nice! I love working with exotic woods... now now ;) haha if you want me to make anything shoot me a PM, I bet its super difficult (not to mention expensive) to source these parts in good condition.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
i dont think they even exist, not sure if it was an option on the Z

PeteZ3

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 Manual 2.8

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
the gear know and handbrake would be better out of solid wood though.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
That's so good :p
Well done to you ;)
You could be getting orders for new hand brakes :)

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Excellent job and a great end result!