Interlagos Z4M Roadster - The Spicy Meatball

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Couple of chores to sort out today, first off the power steering pump has been failing for some time and making a howling noise. As usual you know something is wrong, but until you change the part you don't realise quite how bad.

First off finding a replacement part put me off, going on Realoem it suggests it's a Z4M only part. Remember that only the Z4M's have hydraulic power steering, all other models have electric 😥

PN 32417837884

1645894627366.png

1645894646238.png

1645894661611.png

Looking at various sources for OEM replacement something around £5-600.

@Lee did some digging on my behalf and found that the E46 M3 used the same PS pump, PN 32412229679. This part number is also common to the S54 Z3M. Essentially this pump seems to be for the S54 engine, just a different and unlinked part number to the Z4M. Really odd that Realoem misses that link, but it's a straight fit with no modification including the brackets.

1645894977153.png

This made life a little easier locating replacement parts, and Quarry Motors on eBay happened to have one from a 2003 M3. Straight in the basket and delivered next day!

1645895190780.png

I'm not going in to the process because Pelican Parts have a full pictorial how to on the following link.

It's a fairly straightforward, although we had a couple of delays caused in separating some of the connectors. Nothing serious though. Worth noting that the power steering fluid that came out was a nasty sludge. Replaced the PS fluid with Motul Multi HF Synthetic Multifunctional CHF Central Hydraulic Fluid from Opie Oils.

With the old pump off turning the pulley you could feel the bearing in side crunching. Suffice it to say the power steering is now almost silent

Having given the old pump a look over this already appears to be a replacement going on the date circled.

1645895793766.png

Last edited:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Second chore of the day was a change of the diff oil. Following the diff refurb carried out with the subframe I always planned to use the oil we filled it up with as a flush after 2k miles, car now on just under 126k

This time round I chose Motul Gear Competition 75w-140 Fully Synthetic Racing Transmission & LS Differential Oil from Opie Oils because that's what they have on their site. Looking through the specs it already has friction modifier in it, so saves the effort of mixing it in myself.

Not going in to the process as it's simple stuff. I jack the rear passenger side up which leans the diff to the drain side to help it drain out, and left it to drain for a while. It was drained in to a clean bowl to inspect for anything out of place and nothing ominous lurking in it.

Now it's been refurbed, flushed and filled with fresh oil I shall leave it alone. Probably change it every couple of years, but other than that should be good.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Second chore of the day was a change of the diff oil. Following the diff refurb carried out with the subframe I always planned to use the oil we filled it up with as a flush after 2k miles, car now on just under 126k

This time round I chose Motul Gear Competition 75w-140 Fully Synthetic Racing Transmission & LS Differential Oil from Opie Oils because that's what they have on their site. Looking through the specs it already has friction modifier in it, so saves the effort of mixing it in myself.

Not going in to the process as it's simple stuff. I jack the rear passenger side up which leans the diff to the drain side to help it drain out, and left it to drain for a while. It was drained in to a clean bowl to inspect for anything out of place and nothing ominous lurking in it.

Now it's been refurbed, flushed and filled with fresh oil I shall leave it alone. Probably change it every couple of years, but other than that should be good.
Hi Gaz. How much fluid do you need? I read somewhere that it is 1.1 litres (which would be annoying as they only seem to sell it in 1 litre tubs!).

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi Gaz. How much fluid do you need? I read somewhere that it is 1.1 litres (which would be annoying as they only seem to sell it in 1 litre tubs!).
I bought 2 litres, and it seemed to be around 1.2ish litres used. As you say frustrating to have to buy 2, when it's only just over.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M

If your was anything like mine it would have been stinking…..

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Diff. oil is very smelly.

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
If your was anything like mine it would have been stinking…..
Yeah it was pretty nasty smelling, getting used to it these days with how many diffs we crack open.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Something I've been contemplating on and off is getting Bluetooth streaming setup in the car. There are a whole host of solutions to this, of which I've tried a few. One I've been assuming is a horrible idea is fitting a single DIN head unit to replace the oddly shaped standard BMW Business unit. I'd expected the plastic conversion kits to be bad, and honestly wasn't surprised they are a poor fit. That all said it does have a distinct advantage if you completely ignore the poor fit and quality in that I have somewhere to stick a phone mount on the dashboard. Having leather dash panels and not wanting to damage them, and now that even contemplating touching your phone will land you in solitary confinement at her majesties pleasure.

I kind of hate this, but with the loan of a quality Alpine head unit (thanks Lee) just the increase in audio quality is worth putting up with it. Streaming both music and audio books sounds great now (before anyone mentions it, I don't want a pop up screen unit) I've got my eye on a couple of more retro period style head units as I don't want the dashboard to look like a disco at a wedding reception.

Having the phone mounted at least obscures the awkward fit to some degree, so for now it's staying (I realised that I stuck it on skew afterwards). It's a function over form decision. I've ordered a different brand facia to see if that fits better, but my guess is it will be just as bad. I've got an idea on how to make things fit a little better, the vents are missing some foam that helps them to sit slightly further back.

Plan is to install a flush mount battery voltage meter in the panel on the right side.
1648308170596.png

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
trimming the fascia with some thin foam and leather/Leatherette
I've considered a few things like that, but honestly unless it's vinyl wrap thin then it's going to make the poor fit more pronounced. The best solution I can come up with is to reduce the thickness by sanding it down to remove some of the high spots and then have it sprayed to blend it in better with the vents (the spraying I'll need to outsource). It's injection moulded plastic so shouldn't put up too much of a fight...

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Something I've been contemplating on and off is getting Bluetooth streaming setup in the car. There are a whole host of solutions to this, of which I've tried a few. One I've been assuming is a horrible idea is fitting a single DIN head unit to replace the oddly shaped standard BMW Business unit. I'd expected the plastic conversion kits to be bad, and honestly wasn't surprised they are a poor fit. That all said it does have a distinct advantage if you completely ignore the poor fit and quality in that I have somewhere to stick a phone mount on the dashboard. Having leather dash panels and not wanting to damage them, and now that even contemplating touching your phone will land you in solitary confinement at her majesties pleasure.

I kind of hate this, but with the loan of a quality Alpine head unit (thanks Lee) just the increase in audio quality is worth putting up with it. Streaming both music and audio books sounds great now (before anyone mentions it, I don't want a pop up screen unit) I've got my eye on a couple of more retro period style head units as I don't want the dashboard to look like a disco at a wedding reception.

Having the phone mounted at least obscures the awkward fit to some degree, so for now it's staying (I realised that I stuck it on skew afterwards). It's a function over form decision. I've ordered a different brand facia to see if that fits better, but my guess is it will be just as bad. I've got an idea on how to make things fit a little better, the vents are missing some foam that helps them to sit slightly further back.

Plan is to install a flush mount battery voltage meter in the panel on the right side.
View attachment 216681
Stick an ///M badge on it, it will look super cool then. ;);)

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
£20 for a non M :whistle:

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Hang onto all those "patinered" parts and sell them to that bloke on Salvage Hunters

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Front end rebuild parts ordered today:
  • Front discs. They are floating 345x28 used on the E46 M3 CSL so, ouch!
  • EBC Yellowstuff pads
  • Meyle HD control arms
  • Powerflex front wishbone rear bush (offers additional +0.5° of caster aimed at offering greater precision with improved geometry)
  • Inner / outer tie rods - after a bit of research I've managed to figure out Meyle HD parts for a third of the price of OEM.
  • Meyle drop links
Following on from that will be a full geometry check. Obligatory write up to follow in the next few weeks.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
^Someone getting it ready for some proper driving :whistle::rally:;)

• Agree
Reactions: Lee

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Front end rebuild parts ordered today:
  • Front discs. They are floating 345x28 used on the E46 M3 CSL so, ouch!
  • EBC Yellowstuff pads
  • Meyle HD control arms
  • Powerflex front wishbone rear bush (offers additional +0.5° of caster aimed at offering greater precision with improved geometry)
  • Inner / outer tie rods - after a bit of research I've managed to figure out Meyle HD parts for a third of the price of OEM.
  • Meyle drop links
Following on from that will be a full geometry check. Obligatory write up to follow in the next few weeks.
This car is begging for a track day :rally:. Great setup.

• Agree
Reactions: Lee

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I can neither confirm nor deny that this may or may not be related to any track related activity in the near future.... :cool:
If you fancy meeting up for a track day let me know, I've always got something in the pipeline.