Improving Acceleration and performance.

Momo87

I have a 2.8L 98 Z3 and I really feel i'm not getting the acceleration and power from the engine that I deserve. Was wondering is there anything I can do to bring it back to the original Acceleration specs or add power etc?

Possibly changing a sensor of some description?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Hi & Welcome :welcome:

The 2.8 normally picks its skirts up when pushed, first you need to find out if you're expectations are higher than the old girl can deliver or if there's an issue, my 2.8 went like stink soooo. I'm sure some of the current 2.8 owners will hop along and discuss with you soon.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The first thing is probably to get a decent baseline of where you actually are. I'd start of with getting the codes read in case there are any logged issues, such as a cam sensor. The Z3 doesn't always put the engine management light on if there is an issue.

I would probably also give the engine induction hosing a really good look over as the rubber is prone to breaking down and splitting, causing vacuum leaks. A full service (oil, plugs and filters) along with resetting the service light would be good too (the ECU retards the cars performance the closer it gets to needing the next service).

Next up would be a dyno run, the 2.8 is supposedly just north of 190bhp. If you get close with the dyno then you haven't lost any horses at least.

Only then should you start with the modifications. Usually these are as simple as improving the air intake, a remap and a free flowing exhaust - not big power gains but should make the engine a bit more driveable. Beyond that an intake manifold is possible for around and extra 30bhp.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Agree with the above first start point is to get the codes read.

Momo87

Thanks guys that some great advice, i'll start looking into those recommendations and see how I get on.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
It's old, it's never going to be the same as when it was made

Just fit a m50 manifold

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
About £200-250 depending on the kit you use.

It's a less restrictive factory manifold fitted to the m50 2.5 engine.

Gives the M52 2.8 about 220 bhp

Google it for more info

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Service it and bring it up to the best it can be - as is.

This includes everything on the car. There's no point adding 10bhp if the brakes are binding or the tracking is off.

Momo87

just reset my inspection light and the car seems all over the place, it sounds very strange whilst idling and the car is now vibrating a good bit (does not seem healthy at all). I haven't taken it for a drive yet. Should I be concerned?

What could have happened was running smooth before I reset it?