Hello Z'sters

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
So after years of MG's and Stag's - last for 12 years, total N&B rebuild, now living in Austria, I bought a 98 Z3 1.9 from an NHS colleague. Originally looking for something in VGC the one I now own is more of a project than I originally aimed to buy into if you know what I mean :-o
It was the same with Stags, its the lines that grab me, the rear haunch over the back axle, the proportion is 'classic'. You can tell I was blinded for the need to:
Respray bonnet and touch-up plaque on passenger door
Re-align front side quarter panels - what is the proper jointing between inner & outer at exposed lower part of wheel-arch and am I right thinking they are bolt-on panels?
Replace front bumper - poorly fitting pattern part
Replace ragtop - stitching loose, rear window finished with silicone
Get electric hood motor joined to hood again and working
Sort electric door lock to N/S door - but unlocks from inside opener
Fab cabin/seats with original radio cassette but trying to understand how boot housed multi-player cd works with in car audio
Great condition rest of body, very solid and a credit to manufacturer/previous owners.
77k miles, no advisories in last 2 years MOT's, only ever failed on minor points (as expected) once or twice in life. Only driven few hundred miles in last year.
Swore I'd given up doing this sort of thing but.....its a bit like finding a stray that's in need of a good home and some TLC. Its a human thing, something that looks at you from the dog's home and say's "it me, take me, we'll have some great days together.
Here's a funny thing; I managed to drag my 15y/o away from his computer. He came out into the sunlight, all emulsion white looking (as most neeks his age). Poor kid, he came with me, not saying much as usual during the drive, apart from the odd grunt and whine that assures me he's still alive. We got to the seller's place - please don't fret, he was only in the sunlight for about 20 mins and then he saw the Black Z3. It was like someone had given him intravenous Red Bull! He lit-up and was positively gushing. In fact I was almost welled-up, hearing my son re-join the human race and even shake the hand of the previous owner before gushing of how 'cool' and 'awesome' the car was. Couldn't get him out of the thing! So for the relatively small amount I paid for the car and matching hard-top (1800), I saw my son, for the first time in both our lives, get the point and joy in life that is me saying to him with his dreamy eye's - "By this time next year son we'll have it looking like its just come out of the factory.
One final thing - what is a Hard-Top Fitting Kit? Seller told me he bought top and realised he didn't have one, after he'd had it colour coded!
Look forward to meeting some of you when club arranges Lakes, Lancs, Yorks, Border runs and finally getting to know my son a little better by bringing him as well.
Any advice on list above, recommended suppliers or parts you might want to get rid of, please let me know - Located in Lancaster but travel to Manchester and Borders regularly each week.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Hello and welcome from Truro.

RE hard top fitting kit. You need that to secure the rear end of the hard top to the car.

Redsheep

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Welcome...sounds a great buy.

The Scottish run is in August.....you are probly closer to it than me........might see you there.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Great introduction. Most of the panels are bolt on so you should be easily able to sort out quite a few of the issues. New roof could set you back around 500 ish fitted. The hard top fitting kits can be almost as expensive as the Hardtop its self. You may have to wait for one coming up they are like rocking horse muck. @spurs fan in a coupe may be able to help if he get one come in. (he is our resident breaker)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Chris, welcome from me near Lincoln, mostly that is, funny how certain cars can have that type of effect on kids. Hope you both enjoy it.

Tony.

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
Welcome from Ireland!

Fitting kit
Thanks David,
Take it this bolts between rear wing, soft top cubby, behind door pillar?

Do used kits often come on market, if so what sort of budget would you suggest?

Again, thanks for welcome.

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
Hello and welcome from Truro.

RE hard top fitting kit. You need that to secure the rear end of the hard top to the car.
Thanks Jack,

See what I wrote to David above re location of kit in his photo - think I understand the 'kit'

Cheers

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Great introduction. Most of the panels are bolt on so you should be easily able to sort out quite a few of the issues. New roof could set you back around 500 ish fitted. The hard top fitting kits can be almost as expensive as the Hardtop its self. You may have to wait for one coming up they are like rocking horse muck. @spurs fan in a coupe may be able to help if he get one come in. (he is our resident breaker)
Yes I do break a few zeds, I have a nice Oem roof that needs a rear screen or an after market replacement roof that is really tidy.

I also have sport seats, angel eyes, sport front bumpers etc.

I'm in Woking Surrey

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
:welcome: From me in Hertfordshire (also a black Zowner), nice to know there's some youngsters out there that appreciate the bygone shapes of real drivers cars. Picked my 18yr old granddaughter up from school recently and was swamped by a dozen of her friends saying how lucky she was getting a ride in a real COOL roadster. Great cool car the Z3 no doubt about it. Never thought of it as such but if the younger gen think so who are we to argue.
So it must be. :tumbleweed:.

Black may be hard to keep clean but worth it.
IMG_0766.JPG

RHA, Roy.:happy:

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
Welcome...sounds a great buy.

The Scottish run is in August.....you are probly closer to it than me........might see you there.
Anytime in 1st 3 weeks and we'll probably be there, not planning major works to body until winter.

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
Cheers Billz,
I'm looking to keep long-term, ai for it to be a 'keeper' so will eventually get everything. Would like fitting kit and rag-top soon so I'll be contacting spurs fan.

Redsheep

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Anytime in 1st 3 weeks and we'll probably be there, not planning major works to body until winter.
It's the holiday weekend ... 26th.... Stevo is organising and you'll find the post in events section... hope to see you there.

Chris Guest

Dedicated Member
Hi Chris, welcome from me near Lincoln, mostly that is, funny how certain cars can have that type of effect on kids. Hope you both enjoy it.

Tony.
Yeah, he was probably a bit too young to fully appreciate my (exported 3 yrs ago) Stag but I've never seen a reaction from him like this. Don't know about pick-up from school, he was telling me on way home how he'll "be able to drive it to school after he passes his test"! Lets hope I can get him into
Yes I do break a few zeds, I have a nice Oem roof that needs a rear screen or an after market replacement roof that is really tidy.

I also have sport seats, angel eyes, sport front bumpers etc.

I'm in Woking Surrey