getting rid of spare wheel and tray

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
has any one taken there spare wheel and under tray off ,i would like to get rid of mine,is it easy, if so hows the best way to do it.any help would be great .many thanks pete. :)

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Took mine off the z3,undo bolt in the boot ,hinge bolt underneath,then disconnect the lowering handle in the boot,couldnt work out how to do that ,so i just chopped it off s:ymtwisteddevil ,half hr job.
:ymalien:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
In agreement with previous post, once the plastic tray is off it's a case of cutting the cage off so not easily reversible. A lot of Zed owners have got rid of their spare wheels to allow extra space for twin exit exhausts or to save weight.

As far as I know not having a spare tyre is not an MOT issue. But oddly if you have a defective spare tyre it is a failure!

Buy yourself a can of tyre gunk and a compressor for the boot! You will also need to look in to making sure your breakdown cover is comprehensive enough should the worst happen.

pete59

Zorg Addict
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
thanks for the info,its got to go because its for a quad exhaust,wondering how to make a clean job cutting the bumper,ie what to use ?

Frank.A

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
The lowering cable has a threaded nipple on the end that screws into the end of the cradle bolt.

Remove spare wheel in the usual manner and then raise the now much lighter cradle and unscrew the cable from the end of the cradle bolt. S:smile

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
you dont have to cut the cage or the cable...they all undo s;)
discovered that after cutting the cable s:redface
Frank beat me to it..

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
MAURICE THE MARTIAN said:
Took mine off the z3,undo bolt in the boot ,hinge bolt underneath,then disconnect the lowering handle in the boot,couldnt work out how to do that ,so i just chopped it off s:ymtwisteddevil ,half hr job.
:ymalien:
:ymcowboy: s:D

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
GazHyde said:
As far as I know not having a spare tyre is not an MOT issue. But oddly if you have a defective spare tyre it is a failure!
You are correct Gary :-bd
If you haven't got a spare wheel, you can't use it.
If however you have a defective spare, you could be tempted to use it in the event of an emergency, thus rendering you car unroadworthy [-x

TitanTim

Dedicated Member
Can these be modified to carry bottles of wine? :-?

Tim. s:lol

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
As we speak; I am just in the process of checking the spare tyre..........first time since I got the Zed :ymblushing:

I'm following the label instructions adhered inside the boot to release the spare wheel tray, and have got to the point were you compress the retaining spring around the cable/handle...........assumming that the tray will start to drop................nothing is happening. :-o

I've applied lots of WD40, but besides cutting the cable x_x is there any other suggestions to ease the tray down.

Thanks

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Problem solved...........undid the nut at the base of the cable/handle. #:-s

If I cant free up the cable, I'll have to make sure I have a 18mm spanner in the boot.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
If I remember correctly the plastic handle at the top of the cable has a hex head built in to it. You use that to loosen off the nut...

I'll need to move both my cars to check it though....

EDIT: Just checked to confirm. You push the metal cable through the plastic handle, and the handle becomes your spanner to undo the nut!

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Cheers Gary...........now I understand what points 7 & 8 on the instructions are all about.

Typical bloke...if all else fails read the instructions afters :ymsmug:

PS. If anyone wants to lighten the weight of their Zed; its amazing how much gravel & muck is being carried around in the spare wheel tray.......a couple of pound lost already without a news years diet :)

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Frank.A said:
The lowering cable has a threaded nipple on the end that screws into the end of the cradle bolt.

Remove spare wheel in the usual manner and then raise the now much lighter cradle and unscrew the cable from the end of the cradle bolt. S:smile
I am determined to remove the spare wheel cage as it is 80% rusted and is in desperate need of a lick of paint. :ymsigh:

I am attempting to remove the cable using the above comments...........please could you 100% clarify the part that 'unscrews' as nothing appears to shift at the momement :-\

ai1108.photobucket.com_albums_h413_kooge0_DSC02948_1.jpg

ai1108.photobucket.com_albums_h413_kooge0_DSC02954.jpg

ai1108.photobucket.com_albums_h413_kooge0_DSC02950_1.jpg

Many thanks

Frank.A

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
In pictures 1 & 2 of your last post,the hexagon nipple on the end of the cable is there to use a spanner on, to release the cable from the mounting bolt. s;)

At least it is on mine.

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Frank.A said:
In pictures 1 & 2 of your last post,the hexagon nipple on the end of the cable is there to use a spanner on, to release the cable from the mounting bolt. s;)

At least it is on mine.
Cheers Frank...I'll give it another go tomorrow......more WD40 needed :-bd

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Just in case any one is considering removing/refitting the spare wheel tray.........I'm afraid that I have had to admit defeat :-q in undoing the hexagon nipple that attaches the wire support :(

As the hex. nipple is made from a soft 'ally' type material, compressed onto the wire; I was determined not to do any permanent damage by using mole-grips etc.

After numerous doses of WD40, Halfords 'Freeze & Shock' de-ruster, + a tight fit 5mm A/F spanner being used.....it has only resulted in the 'ally' material giving way/deforming and the thread remaining completely static X( ..............I'm beginning to wonder if Super Glue has been used in the assembly process :ymtongue:

No problems if you wish to permanenly get rid of the spare wheel tray.........just cut the wire!............

As a result, I've had to jack the Zed up on its rear axles and rust treat + re-paint the tray in situ #:-s