BlackBMWs

Check twice, fix once...
Supporter
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L, 2.3L
ACA97078-9E6C-4776-B201-863A21273841.jpeg
Greetings all from Sunny California again!

Just sharing a recent mod to try out overall.

In an effort to get my Z to handle as well or better than my Track TI (Compact), I decided to try out the Butt Strut and Body Brace from Strong Strut in Arizona.

Figured I’d post in case anyone had interest in the mod itself and the resulting effect.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackBMWs

Check twice, fix once...
Supporter
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L, 2.3L
A 1997 Z3 1.9 with a top rear brace, the lower Butt Strut and Body Brace and a Turner front strut brace and the stock front Xbrace. Newer stock struts, shocks and springs.

Pros: Corners flatter, more stable on rough roads/railroad tracks. Feels more planted. Some protection for undercarriage.

Cons: Reduced clearance over taller speed bumps. Cost. In my case, some modification to one of the body braces to clear the fuel tank.

Summary: I very much like the ridigity, I less like the reduced ground clearance overall, particularly as I don’t have any Suspension lowering as of yet (for AutoX/Track). Koni adjustables and RD sway bars going in next. I have AutoX starting later in April.

Cheers!

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi, I can't view the attachment ?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi, can now see it in the attachment on the first post. We removed one of these from @Grumps car at the Zedshed (Midlands) last year. A heavy piece of kit!

Tony.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Remember when @swamper's Butt Strut got nicked off his car while staying at a hotel after a cruise.

Edit: Think it was after a Santa Pod raceway event.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
This brace has had 2 owners since we removed it. If I'm correct it is now on a track use 2.8 Z3, probably where it should be?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Remember when @swamper's Butt Strut got nicked off his car while staying at a hotel after a cruise.
Yes, but that was a different thing Mike as far as I'm aware. Not the complete body strut, but easy to remove all the same. Wasn't that at the Santa Pod meet a couple of years ago?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Haha! Someone thought there was some value in the bracing...
Back then scrap steel was a better value !!=))=)). It was removed overnight in a hotel car park;)

Tony.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I’d love this underbody brace but do not have any clearance- car is not very low but the speed humps I need to traverse to get to a road are the issue, it just clears them with mm to spare.
Need to move....to a racetrack :)

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
B interesting to hear how you find the 2 car handle - i’d have thought the ti is more hot hatch like and tips into the corner and lifts the rear wheel, a bit like RWD Golf GTI

Bonzeau

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 litre Roadster
I also have the butt strut and body braces, plus an ASC front brace and recently fitted all round complete new stock suspension. There is the slight issue with rear ground clearance very occasionally, but I have no intention of lowering it anyway.
Like you I had a slight clearance problem under the fuel tank, so had to hacksaw a very small piece off the body brace on that side.
Very pleased with the better ride and handling!

:drinks:

Bonzo.

BlackBMWs

Check twice, fix once...
Supporter
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L, 2.3L
B interesting to hear how you find the 2 car handle - i’d have thought the ti is more hot hatch like and tips into the corner and lifts the rear wheel, a bit like RWD Golf GTI
I have Mason front and rear strut brace and a stiff rear sway bar on the TI. I can stay pretty planted but still break the back loose if I want to throttle steer a bit. I was lifting the front wheels actually on hard turns on track days.

For the Z, I only have braces at this point to control body twist. It feels very solid and planted just now. I look forward to get the struts and shocks in as well as the sway bars... When ai get the balance and weight balance sorted, I have a pair of Downings in the garage. I may be inspired to throw one in...

lucky jim

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3
nice & clean under there is it not used or nice California weather ?

BlackBMWs

Check twice, fix once...
Supporter
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L, 2.3L
I also have the butt strut and body braces, plus an ASC front brace and recently fitted all round complete new stock suspension. There is the slight issue with rear ground clearance very occasionally, but I have no intention of lowering it anyway.
Like you I had a slight clearance problem under the fuel tank, so had to hacksaw a very small piece off the body brace on that side.
Very pleased with the better ride and handling!

:drinks:

Bonzo.[/QUOT
nice & clean under there is it not used or nice California weather ?
Oh, it gets used a lot... I just make it a point to run through each car I own when I acquire them to clean the areas I have to service as I look for any leaks or damage. Plus if I have to crawl under, I don’t end up emerging as a grease ball.

90 minutes or so well spent for me.

Funny, the bottoms of my cars are typically cleaner than topside...

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I'm not convinced this brace is very effective for the weight. Bracing should resist a rectangle from turning into a parallelogram. I don't see how this brace resists bending other than by the strength of the steel. To be fair, it's easy to improve 5.5tons/degree, so any brace will make a significant improvement.

A cross-brace using the same mounting points would make more sense. Ground clearance around the exhaust would be the problem (as with all underbody bracing).

I see a project for Pingu :).

BlackBMWs

Check twice, fix once...
Supporter
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9L, 2.3L
Looking forward to your results. While I am not thrilled about the reduced ground clearance, my butt meter feels that the car is more solid and planted as I spiritedly zip around twisties and stays a bit flatter without a sway bar upgrade yet.

Yes, the setup has some heft to it and I’d benefit by a bit more displacement or install a Downing.

My near term action is to be diligent for larger bumps in the road...