Fan blade separating from viscous coupling

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Never just rains, but I caught this one before it started pouring! Almost literally too...

Got home from tonights Zed Shed session and was just about to turn the engine off, but heard a faint knocking noise. Figured it was coming from the engine bay, so popped the bonnet - noticed that the fan blade was spinning off center and clipping part of the front of the engine - hence the knock :nailbiting:

Having stopped the engine I could just make out that the fan blade is separating from the viscous coupling. So much so that I can move it by hand and it's almost due to come off completely. That most likely would have been the end of the radiator.

Will have a better look in daylight and see if it's just the bolts coming loose, or if something has physically failed. I'll pop some pictures and a video up too once I've done so.

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Oh crap hope nothing to serious after more investigation :(

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Luckily this could be an easy and cheap fix for you, just remove and be done (well on a car with the air con fan it is anyway).
Not sure in yours - if you don't have an air con (also called aux / pusher fan) on the front of the condenser (visible from the front bumper intake) then I think you still need the viscous item...
If you do have the aux fan just check it is in good working order (spins freely and not too noisy, it can get wet and corroded inside of the motor. A new one can be had quite cheap from ECP for an OEM item).

I've had 2 of these fail. 1st the original one and then an OEM replacement. One theory is that when fitting the blades can get bent and thus weakened and fail at high speed hence how my new replacement fan managed to lose blades.

The viscous clutch unit itself can apparently be refilled as I read on the Internet somewhere (I think Toyota sell the fluid) in case that is also on its way out..

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Never just rains, but I caught this one before it started pouring! Almost literally too...

Got home from tonights Zed Shed session and was just about to turn the engine off, but heard a faint knocking noise. Figured it was coming from the engine bay, so popped the bonnet - noticed that the fan blade was spinning off center and clipping part of the front of the engine - hence the knock :nailbiting:

Having stopped the engine I could just make out that the fan blade is separating from the viscous coupling. So much so that I can move it by hand and it's almost due to come off completely. That most likely would have been the end of the radiator.

Will have a better look in daylight and see if it's just the bolts coming loose, or if something has physically failed. I'll pop some pictures and a video up too once I've done so.
Just caught it in time by the sound of it Gaz, very lucky:thumbsup:

M

M666BMG

Yes it would have been aweful if it had chopped up your rad! :ymdevil:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Bloody hell @GazHyde. Your not having much luck at the minute mate. I think Rosie needs a session In the Zed shed south depot to get her back upto strength!

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Are there any other gremlins in your car Gaz. Better give it a minute check over. The cruising season is fast approaching. We don't want to leave you behind!!!

Mike

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Ok, wasn't quite expecting this... All three mounting points have broken :eek:

20160126_095612.jpg

20160126_095621.jpg

20160126_095631.jpg

I've made a temporary fix to stop it disintegrating completely. Will be emailing the pictures to Sopers Parts to see if they want to send me a new one!
20160126_101653.jpg

Last edited:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
That seems very unusual Gaz, after all these units have been around for many years. Is it one youv'e replaced recently, or was it on the car when you bought it.

Mike

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
That seems very unusual Gaz, after all these units have been around for many years. Is it one youv'e replaced recently, or was it on the car when you bought it.
Just under 2 years old, so under warranty. I had a chat with Mark at Sopers and he explained the process for a warranty claim, which is IMHO a lot of messing around for a relatively "cheap" part like this. Would need to book it in to my local dealer and they need to inspect it to make sure it has failed, and that it was fitted correctly. There is also a £60 fee applied if they find it's down to my fitting.

Had a bit of a moan and he offered me in good faith a replacement at cost price and free P&P :thumbsup:. I think that's a fair result all things considered. If it was a more expensive part I'd probably go through all the required hoops.

MartinN

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.0Ltr Roadster
I have just removed my viscous fan, the blades are sound but the coupling doesn't engage so I'm going the after market electric route,never had any over heating issues though.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
It looks as though the Alan keys were over tightened Gaz, should there be a washer between the fan blade and the lug?

Mike

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Ok, wasn't quite expecting this... All three mounting points have broken :eek:

View attachment 26231

View attachment 26232

View attachment 26233

I've made a temporary fix to stop it disintegrating completely. Will be emailing the pictures to Sopers Parts to see if they want to send me a new one!
View attachment 26234
In picture 2 it looks to me as though the viscous unit itself is cracking up or something, in the other 2 pictures it looks ok. Is it possible that it was bolted onto the viscous hub the wrong way round? I'm not sure if there is any difference, but just a shot in the dark. Could just be down to plain bad luck as you said Gaz.

Tony.

Z

zedonist

Looks like you over tightened it mate...check out the right torque on the TS, plus I see you are a couple of washers missing, so not spreading the load.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Looks like you over tightened it mate...check out the right torque on the TS, plus I see you are a couple of washers missing, so not spreading the load.
Wasn't supplied any washers/bolts with either with the fan blade or the coupling. Had to recycle the bolts from the original coupling and that didn't have any washers on it when I removed it. Remember look on realoem at the time I fitted it, and that doesn't show anything either.

upload_2016-1-28_22-0-10.png

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
On the OEM Drawing Gaz the bolts shown for the fan are those automotive combined bolt and washer, if you replace the bolts with allan bolts you must add a washer, as Zedonist said, you need to spread the load of the bolt head.

Mike