European Union

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Great for a holiday. Wouldn't want to have to live there.
Why? It's stunning countryside, food, cost of property and land, working hours, the roads are far better than ours. I could sit at La Rochelle harbour all day outside the cafes watching the world go by. Yes it has it issues like any country but it has a hell of a lot to offer for us as a family than the UK.

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
Why? It's stunning countryside, food, cost of property and land, working hours, the roads are far better than ours. I could sit at La Rochelle harbour all day outside the cafes watching the world go by. Yes it has it issues like any country but it has a hell of a lot to offer for us as a family than the UK.
As I said. Great for a holiday, wouldn't want to live there; the first time I went to France on holiday was in 1976 and I have been many, many times since. Also to Spain. Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and a few others as I've passed through. I intend to see a few more, mainly the Nordic states. But I would never want to abandon all my country holds for me and what it has done for me; education, opportunity and culture. People miss a lot about this country by 'dreaming' of how much better it is elsewhere and not exploring what this great nation has to offer. Try sitting in a Cornish cove for a while, or drive through the Dales and try some Wensleydale. Sample something strange like Welsh Whiskey, yes it exists, or head up the west coast of Scotland and be amazed by the views and scenery. I am not saying don't enjoy the rest of the world but why not be amazed by the country you live in?

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
As I said. Great for a holiday, wouldn't want to live there; the first time I went to France on holiday was in 1976 and I have been many, many times since. Also to Spain. Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and a few others as I've passed through. I intend to see a few more, mainly the Nordic states. But I would never want to abandon all my country holds for me and what it has done for me; education, opportunity and culture. People miss a lot about this country by 'dreaming' of how much better it is elsewhere and not exploring what this great nation has to offer. Try sitting in a Cornish cove for a while, or drive through the Dales and try some Wensleydale. Sample something strange like Welsh Whiskey, yes it exists, or head up the west coast of Scotland and be amazed by the views and scenery. I am not saying don't enjoy the rest of the world but why not be amazed by the country you live in?
Hear hear ,still want to stay in the EU though.;)

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
Hear hear ,still want to stay in the EU though.;)
I really don't associate the two issues. Britons went to France on holiday before the EU and they will after and no amount of scaremongering about prices and taxes will convince me that the EU can afford to make life difficult for us and turn its back on one of its largest export customers. I am merely stating the fact that this country has many good points. Many bad too but I see no sense in conflating the issue of EU membership with enjoying the culture in Europe.

Chrisb4684

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
BMW Z1
I really don't associate the two issues. Britons went to France on holiday before the EU and they will after and no amount of scaremongering about prices and taxes will convince me that the EU can afford to make life difficult for us and turn its back on one of its largest export customers. I am merely stating the fact that this country has many good points. Many bad too but I see no sense in conflating the issue of EU membership with enjoying the culture in Europe.
I agree - Europe will still be there whether we are in or out of the EU & we'll be able to visit. But don't underestimate the shock wave effect that us exiting the EU would have to all sorts of things, let alone freedom to travel. If we want to be free to travel to the EU after Brexit, it will have to be reciprocal. Same with work. Want to work in the EU? Live in the EU? Some people do and over 1m UK residents already do. That'll have to be reciprocal. Guess what, suddenly you're back to open borders...

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
I agree - Europe will still be there whether we are in or out of the EU & we'll be able to visit. But don't underestimate the shock wave effect that us exiting the EU would have to all sorts of things, let alone freedom to travel. If we want to be free to travel to the EU after Brexit, it will have to be reciprocal. Same with work. Want to work in the EU? Live in the EU? Some people do and over 1m UK residents already do. That'll have to be reciprocal. Guess what, suddenly you're back to open borders...
No what we are back to is planning our lives and work and not expecting everything to just be handed to us on a plate. I am very happy for the UK to restablish meaningful and workable border controls, which we can do if we pull ourselves together and stop worrying about pleasing everyone. Tight controls should be seen as essential and not viewed as an inconvenience that prevents us whizzing through territorial borders. Who really cares if we are slowed down on our drive to southern France by a few controls? Seriously these are first world complaints that affecting a few people not life or death issues. Have you any idea how few people actually fly regularly? Most travellers are repeat "offender" clocking up uneccessary mileage for their own enjoyment and gratification. As someone else said earlier real business is done over the telephone, the Internet and email these days. Most of my customer base are happy not to see us at all as long as we deliver 100% OTIF.

Reactions: Lee

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
I've read this thread with great interest. Just to add my point, I think you can only vote based on your own experience but I would urge everyone to do research the subject thoroughly before making a decision. I'll admit I'm not 100% decided but I'm more inclined to vote in. In part due to the research I have done on the subject and in part due to my own experiences.

Where I live in the midlands we have a lot of 'immigrants' for want of a better word. People from all over the place. I personally don't have a problem, I understand that there will always be 'bad eggs' no matter where you go. But leaving the EU is not going to stop people who want to flaunt the system or break the law, they will do that regardless. What it will do is make it much more difficult for law abiding EU citizens to come to this country and work for a better life for them and their families.

I personally believe the reason why this country is struggling is ironically due to our current government polices and allowing rich companies and people to dodge taxes on a daily basis to the tune of millions of pounds. It's the austerity measures that mean that even though I have a good job and I've bought a house I haven't been on holiday since 2007. I question why our current government who wants us to vote in called this referendum in the first place as their failings will push people to vote out because people want to fix the problems in this country and rightly so! However I think that issues with the NHS, housing, etc can all be linked back to our struggling economy which after the research I have done I'm not convinced will be better leaving the EU.

My final point, from my own personal experience. The UK government brokered a trade deal with India a couple of years ago, that is a trade deal with our two nations outside of the EU. This trade deal allows Indian citizens to live and work in this country, displacing UK jobs and be paid in Indian currency and at Indian rates with a subsistence allowance. I work in IT and I have personally seen jobs lost to this and my current place of work has many people working under this pretence. So if that is the kind of fantastic deals our government can broker outside of the EU then I'll vote to stay I think!

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
I've read this thread with great interest. Just to add my point, I think you can only vote based on your own experience but I would urge everyone to do research the subject thoroughly before making a decision. I'll admit I'm not 100% decided but I'm more inclined to vote in. In part due to the research I have done on the subject and in part due to my own experiences.

Where I live in the midlands we have a lot of 'immigrants' for want of a better word. People from all over the place. I personally don't have a problem, I understand that there will always be 'bad eggs' no matter where you go. But leaving the EU is not going to stop people who want to flaunt the system or break the law, they will do that regardless. What it will do is make it much more difficult for law abiding EU citizens to come to this country and work for a better life for them and their families.

I personally believe the reason why this country is struggling is ironically due to our current government polices and allowing rich companies and people to dodge taxes on a daily basis to the tune of millions of pounds. It's the austerity measures that mean that even though I have a good job and I've bought a house I haven't been on holiday since 2007. I question why our current government who wants us to vote in called this referendum in the first place as their failings will push people to vote out because people want to fix the problems in this country and rightly so! However I think that issues with the NHS, housing, etc can all be linked back to our struggling economy which after the research I have done I'm not convinced will be better leaving the EU.

My final point, from my own personal experience. The UK government brokered a trade deal with India a couple of years ago, that is a trade deal with our two nations outside of the EU. This trade deal allows Indian citizens to live and work in this country, displacing UK jobs and be paid in Indian currency and at Indian rates with a subsistence allowance. I work in IT and I have personally seen jobs lost to this and my current place of work has many people working under this pretence. So if that is the kind of fantastic deals our government can broker outside of the EU then I'll vote to stay I think!
As I said somewhere way back in this thread I am entitled to my opinions and you are most definitely entitled to yours. What will happen is called democracy. The people will speak and the majority will win. That's what happens. Whichever way it goes I will still make the best of this great country. What I won't do is fall into the British trap of underselling and running this country down in preference to the so called idylls of Europe. I'd take the Yorkshire Dales and its people, culture, scenery, food and drink any day over anywhere in France.

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Thanks to the EU I can no longer buy a new land Rover Defender.

That's all I really have to say about the EU.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
As I said somewhere way back in this thread I am entitled to my opinions and you are most definitely entitled to yours. What will happen is called democracy. The people will speak and the majority will win. That's what happens. Whichever way it goes I will still make the best of this great country. What I won't do is fall into the British trap of underselling and running this country down in preference to the so called idylls of Europe. I'd take the Yorkshire Dales and its people, culture, scenery, food and drink any day over anywhere in France.
No one would ask you to and it's right to be proud of your heritage,no one has fought harder than us in Wales ,Scotland or Ireland and the eu will help you preserve it.thank goodness or we would all be speaking English