Brake Caliper seal replacement

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
I decided that the front flexi hoses needed replacement and whilst I had it apart I would change the seals on the calipers.I had painted the calipers 2 years ago but some bits were scabby again around the dust seals and the only way to get at these was with the piston out.
Got them all apart easily enough, I used the bike pump and an old tyre valve as an adaptor to fit in the hole for the flexi pipe to force the pistons out.
All cleaned up and seals replaced now, pleased how they have turned out and easy enough to do.

Cleaned up caliper and piston.

All back together.

The pair ready for refitting.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Looks good Brian. Where did you source the calliper seals please? How much were they please, if you don't mind me asking?

Tony.:cool:

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
I got them from Brakes International £14 for the seals and £18 for the hoses.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That's a good price. I will keep that to memory. Thanks.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
These lasted until now and knew I should have replaced the pistons at the time.The front had seized on so stripped down again and got the new pistons and now ready to go back together again.Decided against changing the calipers as I didn't feel like painting them again to match the rears as they are all black at the moment.

Comparison if old and new pistons and shows why the pistons rust into the bore of the caliper. Didn't help leaving the car off the road during all this wet but should be good to go again now.As they are fairly new pads and the piston is quite a long way back into the bore the area that rusts is close to the caliper body so if anybody changes their pads and discs they are liable to get sticking brakes as the exposed part of the piston is pushed back into the body of the caliper.

Old and new pistons.

20160210_190630.jpg

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Good Write up Brian, we used to wire brush the pistons down and put high temperature grease on the pistons. Can't say I ever had one seize up again.
Are they stainless steel pistons Brian?

Mike

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
@Brian4 can I ask how much the replacement Pistons cost ? Looks like a good overhaul.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Unless your pistons are perfectly clean and rust FREE, change them with the seals or otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

Tony.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Good Write up Brian, we used to wire brush the pistons down and put high temperature grease on the pistons. Can't say I ever had one seize up again.
Are they stainless steel pistons Brian?

Mike
Other Brian here Mike, I believe they are just steel pistons.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Never seen stainless calliper pistons, only rusty steel ones. Usually it's the outer dust seal deterioration which starts corrosion on the pistons, if they stay "sealed" they will stay rust free.

Tony.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
@Brian4 can I ask how much the replacement Pistons cost ? Looks like a good overhaul.
The pistons and seals and dust covers were £45.81 delivered from Brakes International ordered Wednesday evening and arrived Monday.

@EnthuZiaZT the pistons are chrome plated steel and look a very good finish

As @t-tony says if the pistons are slightly rusty change them and rubber seals as false economy not to. Will reassemble at the weekend.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you are able to do this job yourself then maybe it's worth taking a chance on a very slightly pitted piston. However if you're paying garage labour rates, which can be very high, then you want the best possible outcome for your money and that means replacing the pistons while the calliper's are stripped.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
I have used stainless Pistons before, it's nice to think that you've mended something and improved on it

Mike