A Highland Z3 1.9 roadster

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Screenshot_20190716-183609_Photos.jpg

Here on the Black Isle, north of Inverness, my cousin Ray and I have two 1998 1.9 Z3 roadsters. Ray had bought the blue one, then found the black one which he bought as a source for spares. However it was clear that this was too good to break, and I bought it from him. He has a sizeable workshop with a new large covered area outside (roofing that that was our first job), and his scissor lift was moved out there. We spend quite a few afternoons there, a sort of two-person ZedShed (Black Isle)! Occasionally we also fix garden machinery belonging to people even older than us, if there's any time left from putting the world to rights.

20190510_155758~3.jpg

Neither car had an MOT, but my black one passed eventually, emissions being the main difficulty. Brake pipes and a broken spring were replaced, and cosmetic work included cutting away the lower half of the outer sills and making up new ones bent up from sheet metal and welding them on, filling and spraying. The wheels were stripped, primed and sprayed. As previously reported, the spare wheel bracket was bent back into shape and refitted to hold the brand new spare wheel, although it lacks a plastic tray. The passenger seat was lowered, and seat risers installed for my drivers seat. A full service was done, with all the fluids and filters replaced, and new plugs.

Screenshot_20190716-234315_Photos.jpg

And having sourced and fitted the roll hoops and wind deflector, this last week we've been tackling the major cosmetic body issue: the bonnet above the drivers side wheel had some bad corrosion. This had resulted from the car losing its plastic inner wheelarch following damage in 2007, and it not being replaced.

Screenshot_20190716-192854_Photos.jpg

One day I shall replace the bonnet, if the car proves to be a keeper. But in the meantime, I needed to do a repair just to improve the look of it. If you are of a sensitive disposition, best go over to the Media threads and admire the outstanding cars there instead!

Bearing in mind that this is a temporary fix, a start was made by digging out, cleaning up to bare metal and rust proofing the underside of the area, then laying a fibreglass mat to provide a support for the subsequent filling. The next day an orbital sander on top soon revealed the extent of the rust and the filling that had been done in the past.

Screenshot_20190716-234226_Photos.jpg

The bare metal edges of the holes were revealed and the next couple of days saw repeated filling and sanding until a coat of primer showed where the profile needed more work.

Screenshot_20190716-234342_Photos.jpg

Eventually I was content, and with more primer and flatting it was ready for some Cosmos Black. We tried this with Rays big compressor and ancient spray gun, using some of the 250ml water based paint mixed for us in Inverness. However, this didn't prove successful (!) so that was taken off the next day. To cut a long story short, the job was completed using Halfords Cosmos and lacquer rattle cans in true Flipping Bangers style!

Screenshot_20190716-221542_Photos.jpg

I masked the bonnet along the strake line, to reduce the visibility of the job. I shall leave it a few weeks before attacking the area with 2500 then 3000 grit abrasive before polishing it out with T Cut.

Screenshot_20190716-183544_Photos.jpg

So, a first glance at the car no longer exposes a ghastly sore on the bonnet side! In fact when I've finished polishing it, it may withstand a second glance!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Great work Paul, I bet you and Ray enjoy many a happy hour there.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Nice to see an early one saved. I did notice that you seem to be missing the cooling fan shroud and associated panelwork/air ducting.

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Great work Paul, I bet you and Ray enjoy many a happy hour there.:thumbsup:

Tony.
Thanks, it takes me back to my A35 and Mini fixing days, nearly fifty years ago. Mind you, I did prefer cellulose paint, despite its drawbacks. Our 'shed' is a good place to spend an afternoon - it's not at either of our homes, which is helpful! We turned our attention to making a garden table from a couple of pallets last week, but its so useful I don't think that it will ever make it to Ray's garden - it's no workbench, but it's ideal for beverages and butties, as well as faffing with small items.

Screenshot_20190717-112934_Photos.jpg

Nice to see an early one saved. I did notice that you seem to be missing the cooling fan shroud and associated panelwork/air ducting.
Yes, there are a few bits missing. Between our two cars there is one fan shroud, one suction tube and two top covers! Althouh my car runs at a good temperature, gauge needle vertical, I've noticed that on a long run, the idle becomes a bit uneven and down to about 700/800 revs when I stop. I've checked for air leaks around the MAF, splits in the rubber boot etc. So, just for a trial, I've borrowed the suction tube from Rays car, on the floor in that pic with a top cover, and fitted it temporarily, with cable ties, to see if it makes a difference. If it does, i may be asking if you've got a half-decent suction tube available, with its plastic ends.

Cheers

Paul

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Good read there Paul. :thumbsup:
65 days time we will see if it passes the second glance :whistle:;).
I cant really say anything as I am planning on bringing the Dakar to the Scottish run and it has a number of paint colour matched issues ( on the list yo be addressed but probably not till next year) .
But your zed has come on nicely from what you started with. :)
Stephen.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
The fan shroud helps pull the air through the rad instead of drawing it from wherever, probably more important when stationary. Sorry I cannot help with bits.

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Good read there Paul. :thumbsup:
65 days time we will see if it passes the second glance :whistle:;).........
Stephen.
Thanks! I couldn't turn up on the Scottish run with such a scabby bonnet!

The fan shroud helps pull the air through the rad instead of drawing it from wherever, probably more important when stationary. Sorry I cannot help with bits.
Well, it seems to be coping with our searing Highland summer temperatures at the moment. And the lack of a fan shroud might be a bonus in the winter!

Screenshot_20190709-001307_Photos.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
After a week of it being away from home, I drove my Z home today, with tge bonnet repair dry but not set hard.

Screenshot_20190718-202626_Photos.jpg

I was quite pleased when I got home and Sara asked which side had been repaired!

The suction tube turned out to have originally come from my car, so it's now refitted with cable ties at the moment, just with its cover, as the fan cowl belongs on Ray's car. Dont ask!

Screenshot_20190718-212042_Photos.jpg

Anyway, we then went for a fast run about 40 miles up the A9 to Dornoch with the hood down, and the car ran very sweetly. In fact it seemed to run better than before. I don't know why, it could be that the Redex is beginning to have its desired effect, or perhaps the suction tube is delivering cooler, denser air to the engine, or perhaps the car is responding to having its bonnet being tended to! Anyway, accelerating from 60mph, it really seemed to take off in a very sprightly manner, and when we got there, with the engine well up to temperature, the idle was much more even at around 900rpm.

Screenshot_20190718-212137_Photos.jpg

After that passing shower, we enjoyed a nice cuppa and a walk along the Dornoch sands, then returned along by-roads with the roof down again.

Cheers

Paul

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That bonnet repair looks good Paul. Good to see a Z3 saved for the road mate. Me and Shirl were out this afternoon, a few black clouds but roof down all the time just as it should be.

Tony.

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
I forgot to add that I had also installed the seat lifters (from @t-tony ), and they noticeably improved the driving position - so thanks again!

Cheers

Paul

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Progress for the last few weeks has consisted of extensive vehicle testing. In the seven weeks I've had the car, I've covered 1400 miles around the Highlands, mostly setting off at the end of day, roaming for a few hours in the gloaming, with sunset currently at 9.30pm, and not getting really dark for a while after that. A little has been on 70 mph runs on A roads, some has been trips to the village shop, but mostly exploring along single track roads up to the end of glens or secluded beaches. In that time I've used 35 gallons of petrol - 40mpg being somewhat more frugal than the workhorse Volvo estate (29mpg) or my daughter's 6.2 litre V8 Camaro coupé (19mpg).

IMG_3175.JPG

But she lives in the USA, and fuel's a bit cheaper there at 66p a litre, but it still costs her 1p a mile more than my Z3 1.9!

Anyway, this is Glen Strathdearn:

Screenshot_20190726-231653_Photos.jpg

This is Loch Ashie, in the hills south of Loch Ness:

Screenshot_20190802-212523_Photos.jpg

This is crossing the main railway line north to Wick and Thurso, where you open and close the gates yourself (Stop, look and listen):

Screenshot_20190730-222318_Photos.jpg

This is badly parked outside the excellent Leakey's bookshop down in Inverness, our local metropolis and capital of the Highlands:

Screenshot_20190723-214125_Photos.jpg

While this is in Cromarty, where there's a grocers, a pub and a post office, plus the 2-car ferry to Nigg:

Screenshot_20190726-231600_Photos.jpg

And here's the car about to be tucked up in the garage which hasn't been used as such for a couple of generations:

Screenshot_20190720-225318_Photos.jpg

So, next I need to paint the sills properly - after the new metal was welded in and filled, they were just sprayed any old black, but now I've got some Cosmos and lacquer. When I get some time ...

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Well just don't waste driving time Paul. It's more precious to you hardy souls un in the Highlands than us softies down here. I bet your glad you bought the car?:)

Tony.

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Well, the car is never going to bear comparison with all the beautiful examples on here, but I certainly am enjoying it - it's a delight to drive, and virtually all with the hood down. And since visiting the Shell garage in Inverness (the only one in the Highlands!) and filling up with V-Power, it'll be interesting to see if that has any effect on mpg. Hopefully it may clear out the results of the last fifteen years not doing many miles after its frantic first five or six.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Certainly a lot of blue skies in the pictures mate. Some of the good looking cars on here started out like yours, not by any means all, but you can do as much or as little as you want to, to achieve as much as you want.

Tony.

Reactions: Pls

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Some superb Zing @Pls over the last few weeks. Great to see a few more in the highlands. The roll hoops maketh the car. To keep my stock and to have less faf i think im going to go down the after market route at somepoint. They make a huge difference. It's been said on here many a time. "hoops maketh the car"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genu...018979&hash=item4638a427a6:g:zLwAAMXQfvlSlJSs

- there is cheaper out there and some new knobs are even cheaper. In the market for a new gear knob myself has the aftermarket one in mine is a little naf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pls

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
My old Z3 sported the so called "Show Hoops" Paul and yes I get that they're not as strong as the original BMW ones but if funds restrict your purchasing power (as mine did at the time) then these look nice. Don't know if @Sean d has sold his yet?
004 (6).jpg

Tony.

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
@t-tony Sean has sold them already. I quite fancied them too. All powdered coated in black. Got the factory subdoofer so i think this is the way to go. Customisable. :cool:

Pls

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Following the excitement of joining @Faheem for a small part of his LEJOG, a little more progress has been made on our two Black Isle Z3s.
This photo, with low evening sun, had highlighted that the perforated metal 'grill' in my bumper looked decidedly skanky.

Screenshot_20190720-225150_Photos.jpg

I doubt that it's original, but it needed sprucing up.

Screenshot_20190806-171912_Photos.jpg

Of course, in normal light you can't usually see it, but after rubbing down, rust preventing and spraying it black, it doesn't stick out like a canine Richard any more.
Meanwhile Ray had been busy sorting out his paintwork, starting with the central bit of the bonnet and the bumper.

Screenshot_20190807-191732_Photos.jpg

Using the old compressor

Screenshot_20190807-191343_Photos.jpg

and a new spraygun. Anyway, after rubbing down, and with Ray wearing a proper fresh air mask also supplied from the compressor, the first coat had gone on,

Screenshot_20190807-191320_Photos.jpg

Just waiting for it to get good and dry before any further rubbing down with 1500 wet and dry, then the lacquer.
So then it was back to Ray's and off out for a Panini.

Screenshot_20190806-171848_Photos.jpg

After lunch, we did some more work on the double carport roof at the 'shed, ready for gutter installation before the next monsoon.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
@Pls Weather was horrid over the weekend. Unhappy zedding and steamy windows. Need some guttering on my Z to get rid off all the water. Winter prep in August. :(

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Seems like summer is in short supply all round Paul.:(

Tony.